Shin Splints

21 to 29 of 29 messages
31/05/2007 at 21:33
Hi guys, may I just say a HUGE thank you to everyone so far for all your help and advise. I shall do as mentioned as see how I get on. I may even try swimming again for a while as that's great exercise and a no impact one at that!!

I will look into getting my running / gait checked out...I live in the Nottingham aera, any suggestions anyone?!
31/05/2007 at 22:15
One other question, is does it help / make worse / make no difference at all if I rub them? I can't find this answer out anywhere!!
31/05/2007 at 22:17
I suffered badly from shin splints and someone told me about strengthening exercises where you raise your leg and write the alphabet when sitting on the sofa etc. Since i have been doing this for the last 8 weeks i have not suffered at all (touch wood). I basically do this 3 times with each foot and so far so good. Sounds daft, but has worked for me
Hope this helps
31/05/2007 at 22:42
Hello Adrian,
I have just been reading through the posts as when I started running 3 years ago I was in agony with shin splints. I started with the Race for Life 5ks as was raising money for charity as at that point I would not have even run for a bus!!
I was definately running in the right trainers as my bro is an elite runner so was happy to try and help his beginner sister. Asics are our tried and tested shoes. As I started to improve I went to a sports shop and found that I over pronate with only my right foot but upped the spec for my trainers and it was corrected. Re the shin splints I have to agree with resting. It is the only solution even though frustrating when they have flared up. I used to rub mine with Cool Heat as felt I wanted to bring the heat down.
I am sure you do but really good stretching before running is also really important. An excellent stretch is to sit on the floor with your legs outstretched then pull your toes towards you and hold it for about 10 seconds at a time and then repeat.
My ex also noticed that I was running on my toes as opposed to striking the ground with my heel first so a quick adaptation and he was right it worked. I now (touch wood) do not suffer from them and am proud to say I completed the FLM with a hint of shin splints but my hips were shot!
Don't give up as I am sure you will find something that works for you.
Will sign off now as I am waffling!
Good luck.
Sally.
31/05/2007 at 23:03
Thank you Spooky Giraffe.

There in the cupboard, and I'm starting to build up distance and using the tread mill on a smalll gradient to see if will strengthen.
01/06/2007 at 16:46
Thanks for the advise once again. I have a pair of Asics which are fab and also for the slight over pronators so I know I have the good footware. I mainly get them in my right shin the most, but my left has flared up and I know it is because I was trying to keep the weight off my right leg on the last run - not good at all!..

Rest it is (arghhhhh!) with lightweight cardio work (i.e. swimming, cycling etc) for 2 or 3 weeks I guess, the trouble with me is that I am sooo impatient! :)
02/06/2007 at 11:06
Don't despair. If you've got access to a gym with one of those hand cycle machines, they're a great way to get your cardio fix. You might even be ok on a rower.

Otherwise, imagine you're taking part in a 2 week intense strength & flexibility training camp - loads of core work and stretching - and your body will thank you when you get your legs back.

Recovery is definitely a race for tortoises not hares.
02/06/2007 at 11:32
Oh and read this, if you've not stumbled across it already ...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1460&v=4&sp=
02/06/2007 at 14:37

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.