Should I or shouldn't I

8 messages
27/09/2002 at 14:12
I am due to run the GNR next week but am a little unsure as to what I should do this weekend.

I was planning a long lonely run prior to the big one but have now found upon a local 10KM this Sunday.

In anyone's opinion will running the 10KM have an adverse effect on my run at the GNR (I am looking at a time around 80 mins depending upon traffic!!!)
27/09/2002 at 14:15
How long were you going to do on your own - if was about 6 miles you might as well do the 10k and get acclimatised to running with people around you. If you were planning to do significantly more/less stick to your original plan

Either way enjoy GNR, good luck
27/09/2002 at 14:17
John, I always try to do a 10k the weekend before a 1/2 marathon or marathon and I feel that it has helped. It will certainly be more beneficial than a long slower run.

By the way if you're hoping to do a 1:20 then get as close to the front as you possibly can because it's a nightmare getting through the slower runners.
27/09/2002 at 14:53
Thanks for the comments, I'll race and just add and extra rest day next week.
27/09/2002 at 18:21
80 mins? Bl**** hell!
27/09/2002 at 19:03
If you can run an 80 minute half, we should be asking for your advice not the other way round!
28/09/2002 at 13:44
I am waiting for it all to fall to pieces around me.

I started running in June as a replacement for cycling which work commitments have forced me to give up.

Since June I have run 3x 10Km with a PB of 36.09 and 3x10miles with a PB of 61.20 hence progression states that I should be aiming for 80 mins in the 1/2.

As i said though I am running blind and haven't really attained any knowledge yet as to how to train and what I should or should not be doing in the week leading to a race, hence the original question.

If anyone wants any tips in relation to cycling though I am more than happy to oblige!
28/09/2002 at 22:55
Does this mean that Drew will have a forum running partner to match him ????

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.