Should men wear shorts with tights

21 to 40 of 47 messages
22/08/2011 at 15:18
My dad used to run and I still recall the first time I saw him in a jockstrap...  I found the idea that my dad had a penis quite upsetting at the time, a bit like if you ever heard your parents having sex.  Parents are meant to embarrass their children, like Wilkie said if they don't the offspring will never leave home!
22/08/2011 at 16:09
PhilPub wrote (see)
Wear a mankini.  That'll show her.

Did someone call?
22/08/2011 at 16:38
Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

If your asking a question of appearance and social acceptance, heres my subjective compleatly unscientific opinion When ever Im at a race I look for the guys and girls in the shortest shorts and the running vest. Not t-shirt, vest, tucked into his shorts. If they have knee length socks even better.They are going to win or atleast be hard to pass. The cool looking runners with matching kit and shorts that cover all and socks that dont extend passed ankles? They are going to loose.

In otherwords zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I take it you are taking the pee. Thats utter ballcocks.

cougie    pirate
22/08/2011 at 16:52
Its every parents job to embarass their children. Dont wear the shorts.
23/08/2011 at 12:57
You should just man up. England is rarely cold enough to require anything other than shorts with bare legs . I only grudgingly relented in the worst of last winters snow and even then only because I was getting nasty frost burns up my legs from the snow that kept kicking up!
Symes-lent night    pirate
23/08/2011 at 12:59
+1 Mr V, though going as slowly as I do there's never any snow kick-up so only ever shorts.

Quite painful when the snow plough went past me though. "You bastard" I shouted through gritted teeth
23/08/2011 at 13:02

Real men treat Betty Swallocks with snow in the netting. this would be impractical with tights as well.

29/08/2011 at 21:00
Thanks for all your comments guys, I'm just not going to worry and wear whatever.
01/09/2011 at 17:47
Good for you John.  There's nothing wrong with being gay, and I salute your courage to openly show that whilst out running.
03/09/2011 at 12:28

Thank you all for this thread - you've had me in tears laughing! esp your last comment Herk...

I've just bought a pair of tights - the female shop assistant suggested I wear shorts over them "for obvious reasons" - hadn't really thought about it at all until then and this thread.

Now I see the complex web of social and personal anxieties that lies ahead of me when it gets a little cooler.

03/09/2011 at 20:12

At the end of the day us runners are an odd bunch.

Check out any given race, and you'll find of women of all shapes and sizes will cram themselves into the tighest lycra they can find, and reveal monstrous massive camel toes and jiggly flesh.

You also get the men who think that taking that extra slight bit of material off their shorts will make them 0.02 seconds per mile over a half marathon, resulting in near indecent exposure.

Would never wear tights....and have raced cross country in some very cold weather. But then again once you're at race pace it suddenly feels pretty warm. Track suit bottoms perhaps for ultra cold weather..ie snow, when it's a training run and you're not going to reach paces to keep you warm.

14/09/2011 at 08:59

I have taken to wearing lycra shorts beneath a pair of supprted running shorts to avoid the rubbing of parts during longer runs including the VLM.  The fashion works for me also in colder weather when I modify the ensemble to include lycra tights underneath shorts.  Now, as a plodder, I appreciate my gear box probably does not heat up to the same extent as some of the racing snakes out there.  However, I run safe in knowledge that my exercise-induced stack of pennies is not on show, that I won't get chased by unleashed dogs and any rubbed parts will be less stingy in the shower.  I do look like Mickey Mouse when the tights go on but the bottom line is: I do what works for me!

PS. I wear black tights, run in the dark and avoid the offspring.

22/10/2011 at 11:04
Thanks Nick, I think this is really good advice, I'll run with that
22/10/2011 at 11:51

Possibly the best thread I've read in a while!

As for my tuppence worth, I just wear whatever- usually shorts, or trackies if it's really really cold.

I'm considering investing in a pair of Ronsters to remind me of my high school days. They'd go well with my sideburns.

06/01/2012 at 16:18
No
07/01/2012 at 17:53

I am a wearer of skins half length shorts as they hold my bits in position and they prevent chaffing but I will wear shorts over them. I personally find the sight of another man with his tackle amplified by a pair of uber tight shorts/leggings slightly sickly. There is a guy on the ultra scene who regularly wears a skin tight red leotard thingy which is very alarming. He may as well cut a hole where his bits are and have big arrows pointing at it.

I equally find the sight of a woman with the previously mentioned camel toe or cellulite ridden arse just as bad.

In answer to the actual question is Yes cover up it looks ridiculous.

07/01/2012 at 18:07
Still trying to work out the 'camel toe'
07/01/2012 at 18:13
Google images. It is sooo wrong
07/01/2012 at 22:23
Time to enter some more races
08/01/2012 at 12:33
*Dill* wrote (see)

In answer to the actual question is Yes cover up it looks ridiculous.

But on the other hand .....

http://fantasy-world.co.uk/new/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/costume-001001-the-1980s-fame-man.jpg

21 to 40 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.