Should my recovering alcoholic brother in law take up running?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
05/01/2013 at 12:59

When I saw a therapist I told him I was using a positive addiction to keep me focused.  There wasn't too much concern apart from me saying I was addicted to running which was not what I meant it was just something that kept me out of trouble! Anyway, I am far happier when focused on running and stops my mind from wondering.

Nick - I enjoyed the joke (but then i'm not an alcoholic).  I also appreciate other people's concerns for how it may not be enjoyed or in good taste.  

05/01/2013 at 14:10
Carterusm did you realise your name is an anagram of arsrectum
05/01/2013 at 15:02

There is no such thing as a healthy addiction, it's just that some are more unhealthy than others. 

You say he is a recovering alcoholic? To what degree? Is he just going cold turkey? Is he being helped by CDAT or similar? Is he on meds to combat the effects of alcohol withdrawel? Was he a functioning alcoholic or nearer to the sterotype of park benches and cans of special brew? How long has he been dry?

All of those questions are relevent before anyone can even begin to offer an opinion. 

But one of the big problems that many recovering alcoholics have is that drinking was their social life and took up much of their spare time and they need something to replace that. Running quite easily could and would fill those voids and longterm there is no reason why ultimately they shouldn't but in the short term it could still be a bad idea.

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 15:02
05/01/2013 at 16:25

If he wants to, and if he hasn't wrecked his body too badly, then its a hell of a lot better than starting drinking again.

Hope he manages to stay on the wagon- it's a tough one- similar trouble in my family too.

06/01/2013 at 09:04

Coming off the booze is a brutal experience. You can stop taking heroine, go cold turkey....done. Stopping taking alcohol can cause death; he needs all the support you are able to give. Booze will kill you slowly, painfully and pervasively. I cannot imagine how running could be worse!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.