Slimming Pills

21 to 33 of 33 messages
07/08/2002 at 16:08
Well done, Will. That's serious weight loss!

I suspect the nation's obesity problem would be solved very quickly if the sort of fatty processed gunk that can slip unnoticed down your throat stopped being available and everyone had to eat proper food instead. It would be even better if something could be done to stop people taking the car when they're only going quarter of a mile to get a DVD and a stash of choccy bars.

Not that I have anything against chocolate! When I rule the world, fast food joints are for the chop but Cadbury's is safe.

An interesting and rather sensible tip I heard recently is for calorie-counters with an night-time nibbling habit to start each 24-hour period with the evening meal. Instead of skimping on breakfast and lunch to allow extra calories for an evening binge (which will then happen, because you're starving, and it will be bigger than you planned), you'd have a modest evening meal, not pig out at night because you know that if you do there are no calories left for the next day, and a decent breakfast and lunch because the sheet is about to be wiped clean again.

Nice if it works!

Cheers, V-rap.

Cheers, V-rap.
07/08/2002 at 19:27
Just remember it took an awfully long time to gain all that wieght, so it will take an awful long time to loose it

Thats meant to make you feel good by the way

08/08/2002 at 09:29
V-rap,

Lunches are my downfall. If I'm not watching what I eat then typically I'd have a filled baguette (maybe chicken and bacon), a cornish pasty and a packet of crisps. That probably totals about 1200 cals I guess. I'm trying to get down to 14 stone - I'm already down from 16 to 15. When I've lost that weight my lunches will expand to something a little more reasonable.

I see from another thread that I'm currently worth (weight wise) about two of you ;-)

Millipede
08/08/2002 at 09:48
On the lunch issue, have started making extra dinner then taking a bit into work the next day so have a hot lunch (sets you up for training in the evening) then just a light dinner... I find this helps with weight loss as you're only eating lightly after the run, plus is easier on the stomach. I feel very virtuous coming back from an evening session to egg or beans on toast and some fruit!
08/08/2002 at 09:49
You're doing really well, Millipede. Must admit, I'm a big soup fan myself, but my tipples (apart from home-made) are Baxter's carrot and butterbean or spicy parsnip, which are well over 150 calories a tin but all fantastically healthy stuff - especially with a chunk torn off a crusty loaf...

The training is definitely catching up with me. Only quarter to ten, a big breakfast under my waistband, and I'm already fantasising about lunch. If the gnawing gut doesn't settle, I might even be tempted by the tin of Slimfast that's been sitting in the staff kitchen for months. Never tried it, but if my receptionists won't drink it, it must be bad.

Cheers, V-rap.
WildWill    pirate
08/08/2002 at 09:53
Like the lam, I have some of last night’s leftovers today ‘Spag Bol’ – marvellous with a nice chicken Salad sarny :o))

Will
WildWill    pirate
08/08/2002 at 10:13
One thing I find that makes it hard to stay on course is our office sweet machine. This is due to the fact that it has been strategically placed next to the water cooler, so every time a get a drink all that lovely chocolate just keeps screaming “eat me – eat me” ;o)

Will
08/08/2002 at 10:18
Going back to the original subject of pills, I was thinking last night about the use of water tablets.

I have recently stopped drinking alcohol completely for a month (2 weeks in now) and am finding that I am naturally drinking more water, probably 2-3 litres a day without even thinking about it!

The downside of this mega healthy habit is that I feel bloated all the time and have gone from a pretty efficient runner to feeling like an elephant warbling down the street! Toilet stops are also a big problem on longer runs too.

My question is will taking water tablets to relieve the bloatedness result in me being dehydrated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
08/08/2002 at 10:34
Drinking water shouldn't make you feel bloated, Wolfy. Have you changed other things about your diet?

The increased outflow is a good thing - you're obviously adequately hydrated and in possession of a good set of kidneys.

Please keep it that way! Water tablets won't solve the problem. They're great for treating high blood pressure and heart failure, but if you're a healthy person who gets a bit puffy then all that will happen is that your kidneys will be flogged needlessly, you will get dehydrated, and you will still feel bloated because fluid outside the circulation is much less susceptible to the effects of water tablets.

It can be a problem, though. My variant of it is that when I'm running a lot my ankles get a little swollen in the evening and I wake up with a bouncing bladder a couple of hours after falling asleep. I blame my age...

I know this doesn't apply to you, Wolfy, but about 90% of the people I see complaining of "bloating" and "water retention" are kidding themselves - it's just good old F.A.T.

Cheers, V-rap.
08/08/2002 at 10:38
V-Rap, I just love the way you say it like it is!!! We need more like you to pop people's self-delusions and get them sorting their lifestyles out!! It IS tough facing up to the fact that you have to change things, but without that realisation you're never going to get fit, lose weight and keep it off long term...
08/08/2002 at 10:45
Thanks for the advice V-rap.

I'm not without a bit of fat myself to be honest but the bloatedness feeling has only recently become very apparent. I feared that you would say that drinking the water isn't a cause for it and now fear that it may be a reoccurence of IBS (due to some other symptons I am having too) which I suffered for a year over 2 years ago. Stress, stress and more stress of work/home/training/living(!) may have gotten the best of me again!

I'll steer away from the water tablets and get back on the Colpemin instead.

Cheers
08/08/2002 at 11:28
Hi Wolfy. Given the choice between IBS and having a system that couldn't process water properly, I'd have the gassy gut any day.

If you start off the day with a flat tum and have to loosen your waistband by late afternoon, that's almost certainly IBS. It often goes alongside an irritable bladder, which can make you need to pass small amounts of urine more frequently and can be painful enough to mimic cystitis.

Hope it settles down with the colpermin.

Cheers, V-rap.
08/08/2002 at 11:38
Thanks again V-rap.

Yep you describe my problem perfectly (and having had the same symptons confirmed by my doc as IBS I'm pretty sure) so at least I know what it is likely to be now! I shall continue with my 2-3 litres of water and hope that I don't drown!

Cheers

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.