Slow start

Struggle on the first few miles

5 messages
15/10/2012 at 21:27

Hey everyone,

Completed my first half marathon yesterday in 2 hours and 8 minutes. Quite happy with the time as my training in the last few weeks leading up to the half was hampered for various reasons.

A lot of thoughts running through my head during the half but one thing that came to mind was that I really struggled in the first 2 to 3 miles and then I seem to hit my stride and feel comfortable (until mile 10 and the last 3 miles felt like torture).

I had the same problem in training and I was hoping that someone could give me advice on how I can feel comfortable from the start of the run so I can run quicker and further more often.

15/10/2012 at 22:18

It's called warming up. Getting the heart rate up and getting the muscles warm.

Try a little brisk walking or an easy jog then do some dynamic stretches or similar and some strides.

(Strides - you want to replicate the pace that you are going to be running at - focus on form, stride length, shoulders relaxed, etc - appropriate to pace).

16/10/2012 at 14:04

Agree, probably lack of warm up, and also nerves if you've been training for it for a long time. It's not uncommon to screw up pacing early on - either because you're so excited/nervous you totally overcook it and go out like a rabbit on speed, or because you're telling yourself to take it steady because there's still a long way to go and you've had problems in the build up blah blah blag, and take it rather too steady. Do a warm up, and also consider using a watch - fancy or not - to pace you through that first 3 miles using the mile markets, after which you should have settled into a good pace.

16/10/2012 at 16:02

I've been having the same problem recently, my legs just feel really weak for the first 15 minutes of my runs. I'm running through it now but I just used to go home. I do think lack of stretching it the problem.

16/10/2012 at 17:10

i also take 10-15 mins or so to warm up, and it feels tough going until I am. Partly why longer runs after often more enjoyable for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.