Snacking

Need some healthy snack ideas

1 to 20 of 40 messages
17/03/2004 at 22:41
Ok, feeling guilty about my recent trip to the office vending machine. I've managed to find a lunch box that I can only fit sandwiches in so I've no excuse to by sweets/crisps for lunch at work. And its been working well mostly but I am finding I'm having moments of weakness and just buying snacks from the "Vendy of Doom"(tm)...

So can I get some recommendations for snacks that are healthy & filling? Oh and that won't get mashed to bits in my packet easily...

ta,

DanielB
17/03/2004 at 22:45
Imthe last peep to ask, cos im a crisp adict

but, dried fruit/nuts?
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
17/03/2004 at 23:40
I snack on Kellogs Frosties - a small handful out of the packet.
17/03/2004 at 23:51
I would have to admit to having a small ceral snacking addiction when I am at home or when I have a ceral packet handy.

Will have a go with dried fruit or nuts as a snack and see how it goes...
18/03/2004 at 08:00
Eating healthy things won't necessarily cure an addiction to unhealthy things. It'll need willpower as well.
JJ
18/03/2004 at 08:12
muller - rice puddings. V nice! & 99% fat free.

I know I'll probably get pelted for this (cos they are not proper health food) - Snack a Jacks - large caramel ones are 50 cals (& have saved me from chocolate on many occasions)

be ware, though the packets of smaller ones have much more fat/cals.

you can also get little tubs of ready made jelly you don't need to keep in the fridge - low in fat too.

I guess it depends on whether you are aiming to reduce fat/cals (which the above would do) or add nutritional value (which they might be a bit weak on). If the latter I like a couple of small clementines - cos they are not hard to peel and are really tasty.
18/03/2004 at 08:18
oooohh Muller Rice Puddings. mmm.. 2 mins in the microwave at half power.

oooh I could crush a grape
M.
18/03/2004 at 08:22
i think trinity has spotted the main question here.

what are you trying to do?

just eat more healthily? in which case dried fruit and nuts is a good one. as is normal fruit like an apple or something.

if you are trying to lose weight though then be aware that nuts in particular have a surprisingly high calorie and fat content.

snack a jacks would be a good plan (personally i think they are revolting but lots of people who are trying to lose weight swear by them). and if you need a chocolate fix jaffa cakes are pretty good - just don't eat a whole packet! the little packs of three are pretty cool.
M.
18/03/2004 at 08:35
Surely any fruit would be the best option - they are, after all, mostly pre-packaged in their own skins.

As I've said in another post a while ago :

Apples - Natures Fast Food :o)

I also eat Snak-A-Jacks every so often but only the Caramel ones. I've recently seen some vanilla flavoured ones and tried them but am positive that flavour is not Vanilla.

Another one is the Ryvita Breaks - they're like normal Ryvita but have currants, oats and honey - 48 cal's a slice and only 0.4g Fat of which saturates is 0.1. 10.1g of Carbohydtrates (of which sugars 3.1g).

Depends how much room you have in your lunch box :o)
18/03/2004 at 08:39
Another thought - if you got one of those lunch boxes which have sections, you could do a sort of salad selection on one side :

Chopped Peppers
Thinly Sliced Carrots (Julienne?)
Thinly sliced Cucumber
Sliced / Chopped Chinese lettuce

Top off with a lemon and cracked black pepper dressing. Maybe throw in an ounce or two of pasta.

Also, if you got a selection of chopped vegetables (stick size) - you could get one of those salsa dips (or even make your own) and then dip away. Then you get the savoury effect you've had from the crisps.
M.
18/03/2004 at 08:59
oooh voodoo - you're making me hungry just thinking about it - you're really good at this stuff!
M.
18/03/2004 at 09:05
I eat a lot of oatcakes. I like the "rough" kind best. I eat them on their own like biscuits. I started eating them to try to cut down on the amount of squashy white bread doorsteps I was consuming, so at the very least I would submit that they are healthier than that!
18/03/2004 at 09:41
I like to snack on bananas and rice cakes (you can get ones with choc on which is a bit tempting though ;-) )
Bod
18/03/2004 at 09:45
I find having a snack strategy helps, in a house with 2 kids and chocolate fiend of a wife temptation is always there - an alternative is essential.

I make sure I have loads of snacks/desserts when we do our fortnightly shop, we're at the end of that period now and I've nearly run out - danger!

Typical options

Malt Loaf
Rice pudding pots
Low fat yoghurts
Rough Oatcakes (go well with yoghurt as a dip or crumbled in)
Apples (loads)
Geobars
Japanese rice crackers
18/03/2004 at 09:54
Kiwi fruit is gorgeous
Dried apricots are good for munching on.
Malt loaf with whole earth crunchy peanut butter on top is great
18/03/2004 at 10:00
Oh, is Malt Loaf a healthy option? I always had it down as a no-no, but I don't know anything about it. I could live with that.

The worst thing I do is raid the cupboard and dip a teaspoon into the kids nutella. oh dear.

Try drinking more water too. This fills you up.
M.
18/03/2004 at 10:05
malt loaf is a healthy option for sure. beware the very high fat content of peanut butter though.
M.
18/03/2004 at 10:53
I'm currently addicted to M&S crispbread. 15 calories and 0.2 grams of fat each. Bit dreary on their own but lovely with a bit of Philly or cottage cheese.

By the way, does anyone know a veggie alternative to jelly babies?? Everyone seems obsessed with them on these forums so I feel I'm missing out!
18/03/2004 at 15:30
Similar to voodoos suggestion but I make large quantities of fruit salad to snack on (more interesting than just eating apples). Usually mangos, kiwis, pears, grapes, mandarin oranges and bananas, the whole bowl is about 400kcal but its a very large bowl and usually takes me the whole day to get through it.
Wooster, was it you who asked before about veggie alternatives to jelly babies. If not I think someone said that joosters were a good alternative.
18/03/2004 at 15:58
oranges

fruesli bars

lots of water.
1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.