SNOW!

still run?

16 messages
03/02/2012 at 07:22

Some snow this weekend. Have never ran in snow before - I know some of you run no matter what the weather, so what do you wear, especially on your feet? What if like an ice rink?

seren nos    pirate
03/02/2012 at 07:25
if its snow then you are fine ....keep on the fresh stuff and you will be fine...

ice is different.......you have to be more careful.once again try and stay on the fresh stuff.........running on grass is much better as it never gets as icy and its softer if you fall......

so in snowy/icy weather I just put on trail shoes and head straight off road........
03/02/2012 at 08:17
just avoid the slippy stuff and you will be fine
03/02/2012 at 08:53
You can buy something like Yaktrax that you can strap onto the soles of your shoes that will give you grip on ice.
seren nos    pirate
03/02/2012 at 08:56
you can get them and similar in the shops now.seen some in asdas
03/02/2012 at 09:20
Sealskinz socks to keep your feet dry.  Not everyome's cup of tea I know but I swear by them.
03/02/2012 at 18:43
I have run in soft snow no trouble
03/02/2012 at 18:49
As others above have said, fresh snow is lovely and no bother to run in, if it's powdery then your feet don't even get wet. Iwear my trail shoes for this. Ice is different thing altogether and I avoid at all costs if I can. I have some of those grippy things but still never trust my feet.
03/02/2012 at 20:05
Just put a post up myself. The temp has dropped to minus 12 here. Hmmm, don't mind the cold but there is a diabolic wind going as well. Cuts right through your face. Didn't go today. Might try tomorrow. Not quite sure what to do about my face... suggestions?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/02/2012 at 20:13
wear a buff.
03/02/2012 at 20:21
multiple buffs is my solution really, have also got a really ancient helly hansen balaclava from the days before buff were invented!
03/02/2012 at 20:24
Covering all nose and mouth? Doesn't it get wet and freeze? Dumb question?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/02/2012 at 20:28

in a word - no. Your breath is hot.

I love running in snow, it's practically the only thing that makes winter bearable.

03/02/2012 at 20:32
Beware Of The Fish: "You can buy something like Yaktrax that you can strap onto the soles of your shoes that will give you grip on ice."

Speaking of which Yaktrax Pro are only £11.87 now at Amazon with an extra 20% off using code NOWGET20.

Looking forward to the snow. I'm going to put my trail shoes on and go off road.
04/02/2012 at 13:45

Quite a bit of snow here in Manchester already - and met office warning about ice tomorrow. Think it's going to be too icy to run, especially first thing. I'm going to hope it thaws, then plead with the family to let me go middle of the day - orI'll just have to give the long run a miss this week and make up for it with more shorter runs during the week.

Central and eastern areas going to get a right good dumping.

I have some of those strap on things for shoes, but couldn't imagine running in them,

04/02/2012 at 13:58

Racing tomorrow in the snow should be fun.

At least I have a good excuse when I don't go sub 40 now

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.