So apparently someone has also missed out on the half marathon in London too ..

21 to 40 of 57 messages
pmo
08/02/2013 at 16:48

tbh RPHM is not that scenic - most of it is around ever decreasing circles in the park....

pmo
08/02/2013 at 16:54
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Organisers should be forced to say how many tickets are in the actual ballot and how many are being flogged off to charity and companies that pay top whack for them.

I'd love to know the percentages .........

Why should they?  It's their race, they can organise it how they like.

What difference would it make if you knew that fifty percent of the places were allocated to those greedy, grasping charities?

btw - they aren't tickets - it's not a concert! 

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 16:55
08/02/2013 at 17:00
Wilkie wrote (see)
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Organisers should be forced to say how many tickets are in the actual ballot and how many are being flogged off to charity and companies that pay top whack for them.

I'd love to know the percentages .........

Why should they?  It's their race, they can organise it how they like.

What difference would it make if you knew that fifty percent of the places were allocated to those greedy, grasping charities?

btw - they aren't tickets - it's not a concert! 

Wilkie, I got an email inviting me to buy a ticket for a women-only race in June! Maybe running is the new rock n roll?

08/02/2013 at 17:40

+1 for Royal parks being over-rated.  I did it in 2011 and as well as costing a fortune, it wasn't nearly as scenic as I expected.  It was good to be running in central London etc. but I've done it now so would much rather do a smaller, cheaper one instead.  I'd also be interested in any decent cheap autumn halves in London / Essex / Herts.

08/02/2013 at 18:26
Not in autumn, but there's a new Richmond half in the end of March
08/02/2013 at 18:46

Basingstoke half is really nice - start/finish in a a park and the run takes you out into the countryside with wonderful views and through little villages etc. Few hills but nothing fierce....

08/02/2013 at 19:23

Ran the Royal Parks in 2011 & to be honest i did'nt think it was that good, first half of the race was ok but when you re-enter Hyde Park for the second half it seems like you're going over the same old ground to make up the mileage. How the hell this race justify's a ballot & such an extortionate entry fee is beyond me, far better races around at half the entrance fee.

08/02/2013 at 19:39
Nessie73 wrote (see)

I'd also be interested in any decent cheap autumn halves in London / Essex / Herts.

Not in any of those places, but not a crazy distance away - Great Eastern Run, Peterborough.  Flat and fast, decent size field.

08/02/2013 at 19:59

The Basingstoke half goes through some very scenic villages - it's a lovely (if hilly - yes they really are steep - this is not undulating but once they're over it's all downhill) course.  No London sights but for half the price?  It gets very good reviews on here - I am considering it this year.  I've not run it, but I have run the hilly section in the middle.

Glasgow and Cardiff both have half marathons that day as well.

08/02/2013 at 20:03

Nessie 73, you could always jump on the Megabus to Cardiff & run a better half than the Royal Parks & even with transport it'll still come in cheaper than the Royal Parks.

08/02/2013 at 21:36
xine267 wrote (see)

I've never had trouble getting into the Royal Parks, I must be on the other list  but I'll be on holiday in early October so didn't enter this year, it might have been my year to be disappointed.

Ealing is supposed to be very good, a fair few people from my local parkrun did it last year and raved about it. You won't get the landmarks of Royal Parks, but it's run in quite a nice area.

Otherwise Bournemouth Marathon Festival on 5th-6th October looks quite good, and they are hosting the Speed of Light this year - a couple of my mates did it in Edinburgh last year and enjoyed it. Races from 5km - marathon.

Xine, have you any idea what the course is like, flat, hilly ? Doesn't seem to be a route yet on the web site and I don't know the area at all

09/02/2013 at 11:09

The Clarendon Half is definitely recommended for an autumn trail half. absolutely top rate scenery.

In terms of the Royal Parks, the issue for me is that I live in central London and it would be really lovely to do a half marathon that's actually in my back yard - not least, so family and supporters can turn up etc.

may be a case of the central London running clubs organising something (although licences are a nightmare, and anything involving road closures would be complicated). a potential Hyde Park half would be a fairly straightforward circuit of two lake loops and two permiter loops.

11/02/2013 at 14:44

Clarendon looks good. thanks for the tip

11/02/2013 at 15:25

Skippy, I'm afraid not - I haven't run Bournemouth before but will ask around to see if any of my friends have

11/02/2013 at 15:37

If you live in central London then the Self Transcendence races in Battersea Park are worth a try.  There isn't a half, but there are usually a couple of 10 mile races a year, and if memory serves me correctly you could do both 10Ms and a 10k and still have change out of your Royal Parks entry fee.  Fast, flat and scenic with a lovely friendly atmosphere; the only downsides are the fact they are multi-lap and an early-ish start for a Saturday.

11/02/2013 at 15:48

Nessy - Is Royston, Herts too far out for you ? If not, look out for the Harvest Trail, I'd recommend it highly

11/02/2013 at 16:27
The Cabbage Patch 10m is usually in October too and is a great race. From memory a lot cheaper than the Royal Park and a great (flat) fast route. Takes place around SW London.
11/02/2013 at 17:28

the cabbage patch 10 looks great, i'll be signing up for that, ta

11/02/2013 at 18:08
It is a great race, maybe not scenic all the way but on a nice day the views of Thames are lovely.
24/02/2013 at 06:20

I live just outside Bournemouth, but the prices for their running festival in October are crazy, so definately will not be doing it.

5k-£12.50

10k-£22.50

1/2 marathon £27.50

Marathon- £47.50       and these are the prices for club runners.....

21 to 40 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.