So apparently someone has also missed out on the half marathon in London too ..

41 to 57 of 57 messages
XX1
24/02/2013 at 09:17
DF3 -- I thought it was a well known fact that in the UK if you disrespect our swimming ability and weather then you never get a ballot place in a running event
XX1
24/02/2013 at 19:54
I do really like the RPH but it is over-rated - the first half of the route is wonderful, second half is a bit tedious tbh - over-crowded and very expensive but then I guess demand proves they have that right.

As a southern alternative I'd like to give a shout out to Barns Green Half in Sussex, which is in late September. very friendly, interesting route with some nice country sights and smells and well organised. ??20/??22 I think.

I'm pondering doing Run To The Beat. Anyone done that?
26/02/2013 at 23:13
Thames meander marathon and half marathon. Thats in that there london too.
26/02/2013 at 23:43

I ran Run To The Beat in October & thought it was rubbish, overpriced, chaotic start, drab course & the music was awful & along with the Royal Parks Half & The British 10k probably the poorest value for money races in Britain.

27/02/2013 at 09:55

the point here is that London is a beautiful city and our capital, and there should be an  affordable HM through the best parts of it which regular runners can actually get a place in...

WiB
27/02/2013 at 10:03
baldbloke wrote (see)

the point here is that London is a beautiful city and our capital, and there should be an  affordable HM through the best parts of it which regular runners can actually get a place in...

That's an oxymoron isn't it?

WiB
27/02/2013 at 10:41
Ran the Wrexham half last week and not a charity to be seen......
27/02/2013 at 10:46
No you asked the question can't there be just one HM.... I gave you an example..I could have also given you 4 Villages, Chester Half....
27/02/2013 at 10:54
I do wish you didn't keep changing the target..... The thread may have started out about London, but they do have a habit of drifting
27/02/2013 at 11:12
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
baldbloke wrote (see)

This ....... basically the bottom line is can't there just be one HM or Marathon that isnt completely hijacked by the 'charidees' ..... why cant you just run for the sake of running instead of having to cure some strange disease all the time.

I'd like to know if these charities also hijack events like skydiving where they turn up at the airfield and say 'Well you can jump but only if you raise a minimum of £1,000'.

Its funny how its just running that that seems to bear the brunt of these charities.

I think cycling has its share, and yes, I think skydiving too - I've seen ads like "parachute jump for free..."  (if you raise £thousands).

27/02/2013 at 13:04

WiB...not an Oxymorn, just a poor bit of writing!

Perhaps those of us who are members of central London running clubs should think of a way of organising something ourselves. Two loops of Hyde Park perimeter plus two of Serpentine lake would be a very nice HM and wouldn't need any road closures - not that the Royal Parks are going to authorise a club-runner-orientated run there in a hurry...

27/02/2013 at 21:32
Echo the sentiments about charities. Maybe I am stingy but don't know why people can't just raise money once they have a place as runners rather than specific places being allocated for charities...

I am doing Croydon Half in April. Pretty cheap if I remember rightly but never done before...
28/02/2013 at 09:08

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the reason charities oblige you to collect around £2k (for VLM) is that they have to buy the places for around £1.5k?

WiB
28/02/2013 at 09:10

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/raising-money/raising-money/golden-and-silver-bonds/

that is for London.

No idea why VLM charge the charities so much, I guess they get space etc at the finish but not sure what else.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 09:12
WiB
28/02/2013 at 11:47
JMopper wrote (see)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the reason charities oblige you to collect around £2k (for VLM) is that they have to buy the places for around £1.5k?

A golden bond is a package that costs £1500 and includes FIVE marathon places, that's £300 per marathon place.

Obviously the charities have their own admin costs and overheads, plus they're in the business of fundraising, so there's not much point in them going through the hassle of this unless they're making a decent margin.

01/03/2013 at 00:24
Don't bother IMHO with run to the beat. Very expensive

Hardly any music not sure what the beat refers too

Only kudos is you run in reverse a few miles of the VLM but you could run that any day of the week if you wanted & through Greenwich park. Unless I was given a place I would never run it again.

New forest half is glorious. Try Leighton buzzard half late November - 1 hill & rest canal, amazing countryside. No medal & no tshirt but you get squash & lots of cake .....yum yum yum
02/03/2013 at 20:14
@cowgirl

Yes often pondered New Forest one. Is the LB race you're referring to the Dirt Half?

As for London race chat I agree there needs to be more Central London races (and North London races - lots of green space up here). However I am absolutely certain there's going to be a new big London race next year starting and finishing in the Olympic park - I had a very complicated dream about it so it'ls bound to happen.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 57 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.