So apparently someone has also missed out on the half marathon in London too ..

41 to 60 of 68 messages
11/02/2013 at 15:25

Skippy, I'm afraid not - I haven't run Bournemouth before but will ask around to see if any of my friends have

11/02/2013 at 15:37

If you live in central London then the Self Transcendence races in Battersea Park are worth a try.  There isn't a half, but there are usually a couple of 10 mile races a year, and if memory serves me correctly you could do both 10Ms and a 10k and still have change out of your Royal Parks entry fee.  Fast, flat and scenic with a lovely friendly atmosphere; the only downsides are the fact they are multi-lap and an early-ish start for a Saturday.

11/02/2013 at 15:48

Nessy - Is Royston, Herts too far out for you ? If not, look out for the Harvest Trail, I'd recommend it highly

11/02/2013 at 16:27
The Cabbage Patch 10m is usually in October too and is a great race. From memory a lot cheaper than the Royal Park and a great (flat) fast route. Takes place around SW London.
11/02/2013 at 17:28

the cabbage patch 10 looks great, i'll be signing up for that, ta

11/02/2013 at 18:08
It is a great race, maybe not scenic all the way but on a nice day the views of Thames are lovely.
24/02/2013 at 06:20

I live just outside Bournemouth, but the prices for their running festival in October are crazy, so definately will not be doing it.

5k-£12.50

10k-£22.50

1/2 marathon £27.50

Marathon- £47.50       and these are the prices for club runners.....

XX1
24/02/2013 at 09:17
DF3 -- I thought it was a well known fact that in the UK if you disrespect our swimming ability and weather then you never get a ballot place in a running event
XX1
24/02/2013 at 19:54
I do really like the RPH but it is over-rated - the first half of the route is wonderful, second half is a bit tedious tbh - over-crowded and very expensive but then I guess demand proves they have that right.

As a southern alternative I'd like to give a shout out to Barns Green Half in Sussex, which is in late September. very friendly, interesting route with some nice country sights and smells and well organised. ??20/??22 I think.

I'm pondering doing Run To The Beat. Anyone done that?
24/02/2013 at 19:56
Taxi Driver wrote (see)
DF3 -- I thought it was a well known fact that in the UK if you disrespect our swimming ability and weather then you never get a ballot place in a running event

I knew there was something suspicious when I filled out my application for VLM, and I ticked the 'Nationality: Australian' box, it came up with a small window that said 'Oh .... I see....' before allowing me to progress with my application.

26/02/2013 at 23:13
Thames meander marathon and half marathon. Thats in that there london too.
26/02/2013 at 23:43

I ran Run To The Beat in October & thought it was rubbish, overpriced, chaotic start, drab course & the music was awful & along with the Royal Parks Half & The British 10k probably the poorest value for money races in Britain.

27/02/2013 at 09:55

the point here is that London is a beautiful city and our capital, and there should be an  affordable HM through the best parts of it which regular runners can actually get a place in...

WiB
27/02/2013 at 10:03
baldbloke wrote (see)

the point here is that London is a beautiful city and our capital, and there should be an  affordable HM through the best parts of it which regular runners can actually get a place in...

That's an oxymoron isn't it?

WiB
27/02/2013 at 10:21
baldbloke wrote (see)

This ....... basically the bottom line is can't there just be one HM or Marathon that isnt completely hijacked by the 'charidees' ..... why cant you just run for the sake of running instead of having to cure some strange disease all the time.

I'd like to know if these charities also hijack events like skydiving where they turn up at the airfield and say 'Well you can jump but only if you raise a minimum of £1,000'.

Its funny how its just running that that seems to bear the brunt of these charities.

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 10:24
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
27/02/2013 at 10:41
Ran the Wrexham half last week and not a charity to be seen......
27/02/2013 at 10:44
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Ran the Wrexham half last week and not a charity to be seen......

Its Wrexham ......... you'd have to pay people to go there.

27/02/2013 at 10:46
No you asked the question can't there be just one HM.... I gave you an example..I could have also given you 4 Villages, Chester Half....
27/02/2013 at 10:51
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
No you asked the question can't there be just one HM.... I gave you an example..I could have also given you 4 Villages, Chester Half....

I meant in London, the tone of the thread should have given you that clue

27/02/2013 at 10:54
I do wish you didn't keep changing the target..... The thread may have started out about London, but they do have a habit of drifting
41 to 60 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.