So is it genetic?

Do you have other runners in your family?

1 to 20 of 46 messages
14/09/2009 at 20:49
Was on the phone to my Mum this weekend and 'fessed up to starting running.

My Dad used to run...marathons, did the Coast to Coast in NZ one year. Ran too and from work most days - he did it for the endorphins.

She sent commiserations to my partner and blamed my father for the bad genes...LOL

Helen
14/09/2009 at 20:53

In my family we seem to come in two sorts - tall & fit or short and "comfortably rounded". I'm in the unfit camp, while my brother is the sporty one. I get support from the family, but there is no way on earth that I will ever beat my little bro in a foot race (not unless I tie his shoelaces together ).

As an example, I was challenged into running a 10k. Spent just about a year training and achieved 66 mins.

My brother went out running 4 times and finished in 45 minutes.

Yep, I hate him too!

14/09/2009 at 20:58
Hey Helen liz,

Sounds like your brother does in sports what my bro can do in music.

6 months of me learning the harp and struggling to get the technique of string plucking with both left and right hnds, he picks it up, plucks a few strings then gets a damn tune out of the thing...and I've seen him do it with several other instruments too...

Super talented people like that should be fined LOTS of money
14/09/2009 at 21:07
Ahhh, that would be a no, my whole family are about as far from runners (as am I) that you could probably get, so I am fighting against some serious genetic disadvatage!!! (well, thats what I tell myself!!)
14/09/2009 at 21:17

My family share a 'healthy appetite' gene.  So while none of us are couch potatoes, we're either active and large or extremely active and, er, less large!  Big bro was a decent cyclist as a teenager and took up running fairly recently, hoping to break 40 mins for 10k soon.  I'm keeping an eye on my nephew (6 yrs old).  He joined me for my 10k race warm-up recently, nippy little fella!

14/09/2009 at 21:25
My dad started the running, did about 10 maras before he died.  I took it up, so did my brother, have now encouraged Mr C to do a spot of running and Mini C at 20 months has done 3 races so far in his babyjogger, next one in 2 weeks
14/09/2009 at 21:27

Mum used to run when she was still able to. My brother runs. My dad doesnt run but does cross country skiing in the winter. My sister is a horse trainer.

I used to be the only one in the family who was fat and lazy in my early 20s..

Not anymore though

14/09/2009 at 21:27
my dad has always ran - 1 or 2 miles - as a fitness thing but that's it. WHole family built like brick shit houses - v muscular with a little layer of chub over the top to round everything off nicely.

Like some of the other posters i feel like i am battling against the wrong body type but the right mindset. C'est la vie.
14/09/2009 at 21:29
GymAddict, I dont think body type really matters. All of us in my family are tall and slim including me but I am a very slow runner!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
14/09/2009 at 21:31

All my family are alcoholic chain smokers....

I am the black sheep

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
14/09/2009 at 21:33

My brother was a great runner in his teens - county level cross country. Dad also did a bit of running with him, and, with my recent running exploits, has started running again. Both Dad and bro are typical ectomorphs - tall and slim (although bro had a bit of pot-belly before he recently started running again ). I take more after my mum - I'm 5'3" and more curvy; although I am by no means well padded, I'm certainly no Radcliffe. But my WAVAs are slightly above average, and I'm now putting more effort into doing some proper training to try and raise this a bit further!

I think that genes certainly play a part - had a similar experience to Helen Liz when I did a 10K with my brother a few years ago - but training can really make a difference.

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
14/09/2009 at 21:34
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

All my family are alcoholic chain smokers....

I am the black sheep

Is that cos of all the smoke in the air? Turned your snowy white wool a bit grey?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
14/09/2009 at 21:35

*nods at BB*

BB - what's a "tall, but built like a brick sh*thouse" frame called then?

14/09/2009 at 21:47

Not sure LB. I do know that the "short , but built like a brick sh*thouse" frame is called the Lou-Lou  

My mum used to throw javelin for the county but I can't throw for toffee.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
14/09/2009 at 21:54

I'm half German. I know that's the real reason......

That and wine

14/09/2009 at 22:13
I'm the youngest of five kids. Neither mum nor dad were runners - though dad played golf. All my siblings were reasonably sporty but none of them were runners. I ran 31.46 for 10k when I was at my best - a long time ago! I have a cousin who ran a 2.20 marathon, but I do have 52 cousins!
14/09/2009 at 22:16
Bazza, I didnt even want to start mentioning my cousins, I have 50+ of them as well and I dont even know half of them!
15/09/2009 at 03:11

i am one of five also and no none of my family  are runners now (my granfer was in his day) or seem to bothered that i am,

this is changing as my daughter who is five has done two 'fun runs' a 3k coastal with me last year and the race for life with my wife this year. she loves running so hopefully it has rubbed off.

15/09/2009 at 08:05

Nobody in my family runs or has ever run. My wife use to run but has never run for as long as I have known her (medical condition).

My kids run and it is because of them I now run. Perhaps it is not genetic at all and is more viral.

15/09/2009 at 08:18

My old man used to run XC when he was in the navy. He also did events like multiple lappers of an aircraft carrier deck while at sea. There used to be (might still be) a race in the RN where they run to the top of Gibraltar and back down. Mother of Muttley does loads of country walks and the odd several lengths of the pool.

Does this mean that I'm of mixed-race parentage?

1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.