Soggy toes after run

Skin goes horribly white and soft, comes off... tips?

8 messages
26/07/2012 at 09:55

Hi everyone

after a long run, my toes look disgusting. White and soft and I could pull skin right off... not unlike a ultra long bath I suppose... 

Should I be wearing different socks? (I do have special running socks) do I just put up with the soggy toes? does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks

26/07/2012 at 12:44

I haven't had this after running but I do a lot of high altitude trekking and climbing/mountaineering.  I found I got something similar after wearing my boots for a over a week.

I changed to a better brand of sock with a inbuilt wicking liner.  Maybe changing your socks to a full wicking set may help?  Also my new boots have a B3 rating which means that its a fully stiffened boot which doesn't move or bend.  Following that logic through, maybe you need a new shoe fitting?

Not sure how much help that was

27/07/2012 at 10:00

Also worth reading up on Athlete's Foot, sounds like you may be harbouring it?

29/07/2012 at 12:25
try putting a bit of talc in your socks - help to keep your feet dry.
02/08/2012 at 09:56

Ballesteros: Athlete's foot has crossed my mind, but in non-running mode my feet are fine and I showed them to a pharmacist just to check. Thanks for the tip though...

The older I get: talc is a good idea... I will try that

Ian: yes, your comment was helpful - thanks! I will go back to an older sock tonight and see how my toes look after.

05/08/2012 at 18:37

Just wondering whether my shoes are a bit short? I do wear them a half size bigger than my daytime shoes... ?

13/08/2012 at 13:00

I hope you're not wearing Goretex shoes. Mine got like that a time or two when hiking Offa's Dyke this July. Only on days with a lot of dampness and Goretex shoes though.

14/08/2012 at 10:18

Hey Steve

thanks for your comment... no, no Goretex shoes here. I've been to have my feet checked out by a "foot person", who removed quite a bit of dead skin and it's a bit better actually. Going for a long one tonight, so I'll see... 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.