Sound vs Silence

To run with music or without? Join the debate

281 to 300 of 525 messages
07/06/2008 at 00:03

I am going to quit this forum before I quit running full stop.

None of the people know me or how I prefer to run, but they have already came to the opinion that I am inconsiderate of other people around me.

I started to run for nothing more than myself. I don't enter runs to win (and I never will). I enter them to challenge myself. I am sorry for the small number of people out there who think I don't take it seriously. But hey ho, that's life.

As a kid I never did sport, and I am wishing I never started now as it's bringing back a load of awful memories.

Thanks for ruining it!!!

07/06/2008 at 00:11

it sounds to me like this is a promo site for Nike sponsored by runner's world.

are you going to mention other music web sites and the value of their methods? or is this just another advertising venue for Nike?

07/06/2008 at 01:08

Well said POOKY  and more power to you.  This is what running is all about - freedom!!! There's always a group of mean spirited people trying to impose their views on everyone else.  So many people blame everything around them for their own limitation instead of taking responsibility themselves. 

I run because I chose to,  I listen to music because I chose to and if I chose to do both at the same time I will and no one has the right to stop me unless they can come up with scientific evidence that it's dangerous to other runners. 

There's alway going to be idiots out there who are a danger to others, some wear iPods and some don't.

07/06/2008 at 02:17

What I do tend to find is that certain music when running (depending on the tempo) can often be misguiding, as for some reason my pace quickens to what it normally would be, therefore disrupting the whole thing towards the end as I dont realise Ive been running faster than normal. I have my pace if I go any quicker than that without a steady build up, it cant be that good.

Also living in London, where traffic is very considerate of us runners! I have decided to go no music when road running, as I reallly do have to watch out for twats on the road.  If I'm canal or off road running then I do take music but am careful to select certain music that perhaps reflects my running pace. 

Any case this week I been very neglectful or my running - too much work on  - so will be back to it next week.

07/06/2008 at 07:43
Buney - if it really isn't impairing their hearing then they don't need to compensate for it though.  Granted I expect there'll be some who are unrealistic and they do need to take a more realistic approach, but there seems to be an awful lot of "black and white" judgements being made here - tarring everyone with the same brush. 
07/06/2008 at 09:34

Muzzy who seems to have a large chip on their shoulder about being deaf. In the Deaf Runners thread he/she seems to gleefully post that she is being argumentative.

I'm sorry for her/him, having to deal with a disability in a world that others take as normal, but Muzzy seems to fail to understand the argument that running with an iPod marginally increases your risk of having an accident. But that risk is down to personal choice, as is deciding to sprint across a road in front of traffic, running solo in remote areas etc.

We all take decisions based on our perceived risk of what we are doing, and it is down to personal choice.

07/06/2008 at 09:45

Sorry you feel like that Scotish Mike . Don't let other people spoil your enjoyment.

As a track and cross country based athlete I don't race much on the road and haven't realy experienced much in the way of the "Ipod stagger" and didn't realy give it much, if any thought.

I first came across an Ipod thread on this forum a few months ago when I wanted some advice on headphones for running in the gym. I read a few posts and couldn't believe that people were saying that their hearing was not impeded by having an Ipod on during a race, durrrrrrrr.

I have gone from being a,"not having an opinion" to being firmly against Ipods in races, based, not on experience but on the opinions of Ipod wearers who believe that having headphones with music does not impede awareness or hearing.

when in training do what you like, but in races guys .................. come on.

Edited: 07/06/2008 at 09:48
07/06/2008 at 09:47

On a tangent realy but, it was on another Ipod thread I learnt that some people take their phones with them when they race, wtf is that all about

07/06/2008 at 10:17
I've yet to see someone running with a laptop, who knows though!!
07/06/2008 at 10:22
   pirate
07/06/2008 at 11:09

I initially started running without music and was quiet happy with that as I didn't know anything else. I loved listening to the birds, sound of the wind rustling trees, cows etc.

Then along came Ipods and I got into the craze. 3 ipods later I finally settled with Ipod shuffle and thought I'd never be able to run without an Ipod again. Infact the few times I ran with friends I actually became quite irritated that I didn't have my Ipod (sounds sad doesn't it.)

I haven't worn Ipods in marathons and races and managed fine but a part of me really wanted my music. My running had become synonymous with listening to music. I also didn't like my tempo would change according to which song I was listening to or how I'd get annoyed at a song I no longer liked or didn't fancy hearing that day.

BTW I never one to run with loud music blaring, I could always hear cars, bicycles etc. 

But finally oneday I decided to go running without my ipod and it wasn't nearly so bad as I thought it'd be. Hearing nature once more was amazing and I felt much more intune with my surroundings.

I loved it and I haven't gone back to my ipod since. 

My shuffle looks rather sad on desk these days untouched for ages!!! 

07/06/2008 at 12:10

Just come back from a long run without my ipod (partly bad planning - partly because of this nutter around Glasgow at the moment) and I MISSED it.

I think I equate running with dancing- when I run with my music it feels almost like a dance - and that is one of the reasons I like it so much.

I do think in a short race - you don't really need it but I will use one if its a quiet race. But for a half marathon or a marathon where folks like me take so very long to finish - it just really helps with the boredom.  

And honestly if someone comes on and then says that i shouldn't bother running marathons if I get a little bit bored now and again - I will seriously scream.  Can some folks not just live and let live. Some of us like music some prefer not to have it.  It doesn't make you a bad person if you prefer to run with music and it also doesn't make you a bad runner.  Taking the moral highground over something like this is just a tad ott.

I am sure I read somewhere in this discussion the sentiment that if you need music to run then you shouldnt bother running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I mean, honestly. 

07/06/2008 at 12:48

I've really tried hard to stay out of this debate because there (for some odd reason) some very very strong views on the subject. But i've weakened, here goes.

There are some posts that seem to be trying to belittle, bully and force a standpoint onto runners who don't agree in one way or another. This might not be intentional but perception is reality.

For instance, you might not like or agree with something.......fair enough. But WHY should i subscribe to that when i have another equal and valid opinion.

A couple of points to clear up a few things from my personal standpoint.......
1. I have an opinion although it's not important what it is because that's all it is, an opinion.

2. If the rules say no pods then that's it....no pods, respect the rules, no debate.

3. Most of us are recreational runners, we're not trying to sort out Mugabes regime or solve the global economic crisis, (300 posts on  ipods in this thread alone!!!). Is this normal ???

4. In life we encourage a live and let live attitude, i think we need to bear this in mind guys, it works.

Sits back and waits for a hammering !!!

Stay healthy all and enjoy your running  (BTW i'm running the Syoke 1/2 tomorrow without a pod)

07/06/2008 at 13:17

Its clearly a preference issue isnt it? I mean athletes probably run without music so they can hear there breathing??? I like running with music (off road) as it somehow breaks the monotony of it. When I'm doing half mar. then I run without music as I do need to focus on breathing and rhythm otherwise I find I hammer it at the beginning then am knackered by the end.

Also I have learnt to indentify when my exhaustion sets in, by noting how I react to people in my way - if I'm good then they dont bother me, If I'm knackered then I hear myself muttering to myself something along the lines of  " asshole" or "twat" 

The other day, this guy saw me and decided to pull out of a junction right in front of me, almost staged! He then, one day a guy didnt indicate as I looked for his blinkers, but then cut right on front of me going a good 30mph he literally missed me by hairline....

Well I really dont have anything to add to this debate.

07/06/2008 at 13:39

ABAB, good points well made

but it has left me with one of those unanswerable questions .................................

If Mugabe were a runner do you see him as an

• Ipod wearer all the time
  • Ipod training but not in races
  • Ipod in the gym only
  • You would never catch him with an Ipod 
   pirate
07/06/2008 at 13:57
PM...There is no way Mugabe is a runner...he's an evil despot that needs to be urgently removed from his job and held accountable for the torture, death and starvation of millions.
07/06/2008 at 14:21

Pizza Man

Mugabe wouldn't need to run a race! He'd simply claim victory by disqualifying everyone else as they couldn't run because his thugs had beeten them up.  He'd also steel their iPods and blame the British government for it.

pirate
07/06/2008 at 14:28
LOL MC, or he'll say that all Ipod's are part of western colonialists conspiring against him!!!
07/06/2008 at 14:49

LOL

Now that's funny guys.

07/06/2008 at 16:05

Hi everyone,

I always listen to music while training. Listening to my favourite tunes while running is great.

I ran my 1st half marathon last year in Glasgow and my 1st full marathon in Edinburgh this year. I found that during a race I did not want to listen.

So its music while training and silence while racing.

Good running everyone.

Colin in Dundee.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.