Sound vs Silence

To run with music or without? Join the debate

341 to 360 of 525 messages
10/06/2008 at 12:50

Well I have to say Ive become a bit of a no music convert since FLM 08.....

My wife and I ran it together, we both had our ipods ready at the start, both plugged in and then her Nano decided to do the screen lock of death which is only solved by letting it run flat and then charging...When that happened I had to concede to run with her and not use my ipod as she was in a total panic and in tears saying "I cant run it without music!!!!" 

So we ran the whole thing together in 3h 53m and had no music on at any time. Well this was a much better experience for me than FLM 07 when I used my ipod. I got so much more from the crowd and atmosphere and I am a convert. I wont run with an ipod again for any races with strong crowd support. I actually think I might have been slower had I not become so much more absorbed by the crowd....

Each to their own of course but thats my little tale....

10/06/2008 at 14:06

There is nothing better than running in a big event without music.

Unless your iPod is specifically programmed at certain BPM so they match the running paces for the whole race (as advocated by run2rhythm and jop tunes) it's hard to enjoy the fullness of the event - crowds, other runners, pain etc.

Some will, some won't, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

10/06/2008 at 23:31

I listen to Radio Five Live, usually, on an old small Philips radio, during training in the evenings - football during the winter, and a bit of everything during the summer.  Takes my mind off what's hurting.  I've just bought an Ipod, so will be experimenting with that.  Don't take any of this during races though.

11/06/2008 at 18:42

I don't .    

I never will. 

Thank you . 

Take it easy . 

12/06/2008 at 09:22

S T one.. don't go on and on and on about it!! just say what you mean 

12/06/2008 at 16:53

'nuff said  !     

12/06/2008 at 17:20
Wonder if we vcan get any puns out of this for the pun thread. Need to get on the right wavelength, tune into the thread, pick up the rythm of the posters, time to beat it
13/06/2008 at 13:39

Racing - never listen to ipod, whether FLM of in a 5K with less than a hundred folk. It seems a bit disrespectful in a way, like you don't want to be there with the other athletes / marshalls / supporters. Does anyone else agree?

Training - different kettle of fish, ipod is on. Rolling Stones, Doves, Killers or the Smiths for long runs. And for short distances, Underworld are unbeatable. Check out their Everything Everything live album. Ran a PB for a mile yesterday to Born Slippy. Impossible not to run fast when it's on. Also like Kasabian's Club Foot and Chemical Brothers' Life is Sweet for fast stuff.

13/06/2008 at 15:22

Spot on Valluga 

13/06/2008 at 15:31

Good way to end the thread. Training - if you want to - Racing - NO!

END OF THREAD....(I wish )

13/06/2008 at 20:33

My mother used to end every argument  by saying "You have to have the last word don't you...".

(Thereby getting the last word). 

13/06/2008 at 22:34

I run both with and without music playing in my ears.   I used to run on a treadmill but when I ventured out doors it seemed strange without music so my trusty MP3 was bought. 

When I joined my running club I suddenly found running without music and chatting with fellow runners was a wonderful experience.  When I go out on my own I use my MP3 but when I attend the running club I don't. 

I think its down to personal preference and wether your running alone or with a group.

13/06/2008 at 23:09

Smilesnmiles -

Well - I nearly did it. You always have to get the last word

Edited: 13/06/2008 at 23:10
14/06/2008 at 21:47
Cannie Cross here I come
http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/save-a-pet-show/images/pug_headphones.jpg

16/06/2008 at 15:45

I usually do my long run on a Sunday morning, so I listen to the Archers Omnibus on my walkman as I can get the radio on it, not sure it imporves my time but it helps to pass it!!!!

16/06/2008 at 18:26
For me its simple, music for training sometimes if i need it but never in a race!!!
17/06/2008 at 17:53

It's hard not to fall into the tempo of your music, and that can spoil a training run pretty easily.  It's easy to get too tired from running too fast, underworked if from running too slow.... and tangled cables from always trying to find the right 'Toon'.

Also, you can't hear someone say, "Hey mate! Watch out for the ....!".

17/06/2008 at 19:57
use a heart monitor
18/06/2008 at 09:27

JJ - do you take an entire hi-fi system with you??  

18/06/2008 at 09:47

No, just a wee Sony thing....turned up to maximum volume.  Hardcore electronica is a dish best served loud.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.