Split up running partners

21 to 37 of 37 messages
09/11/2004 at 11:43

I really don't get why people want to run together. Sorry if I'm missing something. We can do that all the time in training runs. And you can 'go nocturnal' every evening.

But this is a race and I wouldn't want to run at the pace of my friend, or hold him back if he was faster than me.
Ellie.    pirate
09/11/2004 at 11:43
I agree with Jason X aswell. To me a race is the time to put in your best effort over the distance. How can you do that if you're hanging back waiting for a friend or killing yourself trying to keep up. However i do appreciate that some races are more events, e.g. GNR I just go to enjoy it (and start at the back!), but if you have been split up like this then i think you should run your own race. There's plenty of opportunities to chat to your mates.
09/11/2004 at 11:45
Quite... I just hope I don't end up running with Waaps.
09/11/2004 at 12:05
I have to say that it really p***es me off when people deliberately start messing with the system just so that they can run with their friends, or turn up late for the start and simply join the next group.

You were asked to predict your finishing time on your application. If you and your friends expect to finish in different times, then you should have expected to be in different starts.

Don't ruin the race for everyone else by starting with the wrong group. This happened last year and it's really frustrating being stuck behind people who are already having to walk at 2K.

I agree with Jon - if I see people in the wrong start pen I won't be nice to them!
09/11/2004 at 12:19

Jon - we will be starting together!

I'm in the 8.30 wave but I've decided to enter yours instead so I can kiss your ass.
09/11/2004 at 12:20

Christ! Did I just say that? I meant whup your ass.
09/11/2004 at 12:20
Waaps, I'll be there from 1730 for a special one off ass kissing session. I'll book you into the 1734 slot.
09/11/2004 at 12:21
"You were asked to predict your finishing time on your application. If you and your friends expect to finish in different times, then you should have expected to be in different starts."

And if we did put the same times? Personally, I fully intend to stick to the "wave" system, just think it would've been nice if they'd been somewhat cleverer with the allocation to waves.
09/11/2004 at 12:24
I'm in start 2 but i don't know yet what start my partner is in. It will be a problem if we are in different starts, not because we want to run together (she's too fast for me) but because of arriving and leaving together.

The fact that they would be staggering the start over 2 hours was not mentioned in any of the blurb btw.
10/11/2004 at 14:58
I am glad that someone out there agrees with me. The fact of the matter is not that i want to "chat" with my friends on a strole round the park, we have a wager on who will win so we want to race each other. Thats the problem, now maybe you can understand.
10/11/2004 at 15:02
If you all put down the same predicted finishing time on the application, then it might be worth contacting the organisers if you've been allocated different starting waves. Sorry, I assumed you all had different finishing times and wanted to run 'with your mates' rather than race each other.
10/11/2004 at 16:19
Thanks Minks, i have e mailed them but have had no reply as yet, so i guess i'll go with the flow
10/11/2004 at 16:27

Danno, a pedant writes:

Your first post did mention how you wanted to run together...

But thanks for the explanation. I guess it really is a pain in the butt if you are travelling to and from together but starting at different times, and it wasn't mentioned before registering.

11/11/2004 at 20:27
I'm in wave 2 and my wife is in wave 4; I will probably arrive 'late' (!) to be able to start/finish in the same wave; the race is one thing, but there's no point in her waiting around 1 hour before her race starts, and for me to wait 1 hour until she finishes. We only had a 10 min difference in projected times. It's supposed to be promoting 'safety at night' -- but then that's another question: what are the facilities going to be like? They won't have the same amount of space as in Kew/Richmond park...
12/11/2004 at 12:26
Funnily enough there is about 10 minutes difference between me and Mr PP's predicted times - but we're both in the same wave ... not that I'm complaining mind!!
12/11/2004 at 12:39
If I see somebody in the wrong wave I'll kick their anatomy.

Unless she is a grogeous blonde. In that case I'll do a Waaps and will kiss her lower back.

12/11/2004 at 15:07
i'm not a gorgeous blonde, but the only part of my anatomy you will see is going to be my butt, cos you gonna be way behind me!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.