Standing orders instead of traditional fundraising

Anyone willing to pay their own sponsorship for GB places?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
14/10/2013 at 19:34

Just to close this one off, a year on: in the end I got lucky and got a ballot place for VLM in 2013 so raised what people generously offered and put in a bit of my own.  However after seeing friends get turned down 7+ times for London yet refuse to do a golden bond place and get very upset about it, I do wonder why they don't try and put some money aside for 3 or 4 years and then get themself a golden bond place if so desparate to run it.  

For last year's GNR I did indeed do a standing order instead of traditional sponsorship.  

I have now come to the conclusion that charities are grateful for the money no matter where it comes from (provided it's legal of course!) and doubt they look into or mind whether the runner donates the pledged amount out of thier own pocket.  So should I decide to enter a race via a golden bond place again and find it's too early/cheeky to ask for sponsorship, I'll see no problem in saving up the funds myself and making the donation from my own means.

14/10/2013 at 19:46

Each to their own.  I think I'd rather save up for a nice holiday than a running race.  Is it really worth £1000+ of your own money to run a particular marathon when there are so many others available?  Even if I was wealthy enough to make that sort of a donation to charity I think I'd rather do so directly than by taking up a GB place.

cougie    pirate
14/10/2013 at 19:48
Interesting. The charity is effectively selling a place for a guaranteed price. I'm pretty certain that has tax implications for them.

If the sum is donations - then its ok - but accepting a standing order - I think they're on dodgy ground.

Fine by me to pay for your own place if you want to run - but there are lots of great races out there if you look around that you can easily get a place.
14/10/2013 at 20:46

I'm with philpub, I'd rather save for a nice holiday. Even incorporate that holiday with a run abroad if possible.  

14/10/2013 at 20:52
+1 for the holiday. Why not just do 1 of the hundreds of other races out there that do not involve golden bond places. There are loads of great ones out there.
14/10/2013 at 23:42

It's the Daily Wail, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of truth in this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1264596/Just-25p-pound-taken-London-Marathon-organisers-paid-charity.html

cougie    pirate
15/10/2013 at 01:11
It's the mail. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a lot of untruth in it.
I saw the show - one of their expert witnesses was the nob who so expertly "organises" that 10k in London.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.