starting back after a baby

21 to 40 of 67 messages
07/08/2002 at 15:04
Hi everyone, I had to give up running when I was pregnant but started running again in the evnings when he was 8 weeks old. I need to run to keep my sanity after spending the day with the baby and my three year old. No matter how tired I feel when I go out, I always feel better when I get back. This is despite the broken nights sleep and the fact that I am a zombie for half the morning. I don't usually run until around 8 or 9pm when at least one child is asleep (my husband can't cope with two at once) but I spend all day looking forwards to time on my own to get some fresh air and watch the sunset.

I also have a Zipper baby jogger and would recommend them - they are not cheap but are very light and you can stear with one hand even with a three year old sitting in it. I haven't had a chance to use it for running yet and I have to say I prefer to go out on my own. They are however really for exercise, whether walking or running, and are useless for carrying shopping, if it rains etc.
07/08/2002 at 15:42
Hi Sarah,
It is hard when you are at home all the time with the kids. I am very lucky that I work 3 days a week so kind of try to get the best I can from all worlds. On the days I am on my own all day I am very pleased to see their dad come home! My girls are 3 (and three quaters as she says!) and 2 and it is getting easier all the time (the kids that is not the running!!). I reckon when the youngest is 3 it'll just get easier. I don't realy mean "easier" but different. They ask me and their dad if we are going running when ever they see us within a yard of a trainer. They even set off together leg it up and down the stairs, arrive in the kitchen in mock breathlessness say theyve been for a run and demand drinks. Its very funny. I seem to of digressed a bit now! Can't even remember what I was trying to say!
07/12/2002 at 15:25
I have had 2 children, one is 2 years old, the other is 7 weeks and have been pretty appalled at the lack of encouragement that medical/midwifery staff give to prospective/new mothers. I can see from your letters that everybody has a different set of guidelines. I have decided to stop full time work while my children are very small and have just signed up to a year long training course given by the Guild of Post Natal Exercise Teachers. I hope to teach exercise classes to postnatal women once I qualify. I would love to get hold of some references for good articles. I hope that the course goes beyond the usual 'wait 6 weeks' fairly glib advice, but I would love to be armed with some sound medical reports on running pre & post pregnancy so that I can put a case for it. I (and you)know how much better you feel for being fit - I think it's about time the health service started looking at exercise more positively and really selling it to people BEFORE they get too unfit to enjoy life.

Gosh - don't I sound militant - must be the hormones.
04/07/2003 at 17:25
I am curious because I am nine weeks pregnant and two weeks ago my doctor advised me to stop running during my pregnancy. Then I got my copy of RW and read the article on pregnancy. To be honest I am a little baffled. Can anyone tell me where would you get matnernity running gear from. How do we know it is actually safe for the baby.

Would love to hear your points of view.
04/07/2003 at 18:20
Hey listen Breda, I'm no expert but in the GP v Emma Litterick stakes, I know who's advice I'd be taking!

You ought to go back to your doctor and ask him why you've been advised to stop running. Or ask another Doctor.

04/07/2003 at 18:21
Good luck by the way

:-)
04/07/2003 at 18:32
Do you use a HRM, Breda? If so, aim to keep your heart rate under 150bpm and you're unlikely to run into too many problems. Pregnancy changes your exercise tolerance, so you may find you're barely doing more than brisk walking at that level. Racing is unlikely to be a realistic proposition.

Ordinary running gear is accommodating enough for a small-to-middling bump, and by the time your bump is big you may be too uncomfortable even to run for the bus.

There are a couple of well-documented instances of elite athletes running until well into pregnancy (Ingrid Kristianson, Liz McColgan, our own Monique), but not everyone can. The first three months of pregnancy can be so exhausting that the very idea of running would make you laugh if only you had the energy and could open your mouth without heaving.

I think Emma Litterick's "listen to your body" advice is as good as it gets, and I hope she listens when her body tells her it's time to STOP running.
04/07/2003 at 18:33
Seriously though, its a pretty bloody irresponsible piece of writing.

Bolis down to "Never mind what experts say, I'm a runner and I know best"
04/07/2003 at 18:38
Isn't that what a lot of the stuff on these Forums says too, Chimp? And many runners will identify with her having encountered a health professional who was perhaps a bit trigger-happy in advising that all running must cease forthwith.
04/07/2003 at 19:12
Whoa V-rap!

Surely the point here is, her GP has advised her not to run. Now you dont know the reasons for that any more than I do.

We just can't simply assume that her doctor is anti-running or covering his/her back.

You may well be right but I feel Breda ought to be going back to her own GP for clarification. If she feels her Doctor is being over-cautious, see another doctor.

But for pete's sake, dont go against your GP's advice on the strength of a magazine article!
04/07/2003 at 21:44
Hmmm...dinosaur quickly looks up chapter on "genuine medical contra-indications to running in the first trimester of pregnancy". Bleeding...severe vomiting...anaemia...pain that is more than mild discomfort...wot, is that it? I think even Emma Litterick's body wouldn't be telling her to run if she was experiencing any of these.

More to the point, I'm not sure I can face nine months of "me and my pregnancy" in RW. We've already lived through it all with that girl from the opposition who seemed to be pregnant for about 18 months.

But I agree - if in doubt, Breda should certainly...Breda! Sorry! That ill-mannered overgrown monkey shouldn't be trying to talk about you over your head. If you're confused, ask your doctor if there's any specific reason why YOU, in particular, shouldn't be running while pregnant (don't accept vague stuff about "bad for your joints" or even "bad for the baby") and if you don't feel you're getting your questions answered, have a chat with your midwife. Midwives are the experts in normal pregnancy.
Monique    pirate
05/07/2003 at 01:34
Hello I think you need to make sure you don't have a real medical reason for not running get the doctor to explain, mine was a bit reluctant, but I think a lot of the time it is to cover themselves but also how can anyone know how their body will react in pregnancy?
I did get a telling off from one midwife because according to her my running meant the baby would be tiny 6 lb or less as I was using all the nutrition for him, that was nonsense as he was 3 weeks late and 8lb15oz, she did apologise.
However the running I did was during my second pregnancy so there weren't the usual first time mother doubts about being able to carry a baby at all.
Look on the web for info the American medical profession have more studies available, sorry don't have links. Could try the Melpomene (spelling?) institute.
05/07/2003 at 08:36
V-rap is quite correct Breda.

Soz for talking over you.
05/07/2003 at 08:47
One final point on Emma Litterick's article. She doesnt actually say her midwife told her NOT to run does she? So either her midwife told her she was OK to run in which case the whole article is pretty disingenuous or her midwife told her not to run in which case she's a bloody fool.

And what is wrong with a midwife carrying out a lengthy and thorough check before deciding in any event? Did Emma really think she'd take one look at her Sauconys and say "yeah, of course you can run"
Monique    pirate
05/07/2003 at 22:19
I do think I or any other woman is quite capable of listening to her body, I naturally slowed and naturally cut distance back, it just happened.
One word of advice- gate vaulting is impossible after 5 months, believe me.
06/07/2003 at 14:30
Monique, so glad to hear you say it all happens naturally as reading all the articles and even speaking to the "experts" left me feeling confused. I asked my doctor if it was safe to continue as I was doing but her answer was given without even asking me what I am doing!!! My midwife said don't start anything new but continue with what you already do. That is contradicted by seeing that I should worry about my heart rate and distance as I am still doing speed work and training for The Great North Run. I am now 16 wks. After I get over the initial crampy feeling which I think is caused more by my bladder than anything, I feel as good as I always have done. I am just off for a 10 miler now.

Tell me, am I mad !!!!!!!

PS I am not really Brian the name is CINT
Monique    pirate
06/07/2003 at 22:55
For a minute "Brian" I thought you'd had one of those new womb ops.
No you are not mad, I had a hairy time at Wilmslow half when my HRM went haywire but figured it was from cross-readings. It became uncomfortable to wear after bump got bigger so stopped bothering and just ran how I felt. My stride also shortened considerably as I couldn't see my feet- another way of naturally slowing you down perhaps?
08/07/2003 at 09:09
I haven't actually put my heart rate monitor on since I've been pregnant. Sundays 10 was great and as you've said it all seems to happen naturally as I seemed to slow considerably on the steeper hills. I have decided my last speed session will be this coming Friday and I won't bother with hill reps any more but I would still like to continue running for an hour or three at least 4 times a week (up to 15 miles on a Sunday).

I haven't time to read all the back messages so I will be rude and ask Monique, are you still pregnant or do you have your bundle?

By the way, Brian is the Chair of our club and I am logged on under him for dealing with race entries and didn't bother to change it!

Cint
Monique    pirate
09/07/2003 at 13:28
My bundle is now nearly 5 years old and due to start full time schol in September- time passes very quickly.
10/07/2003 at 08:46
The latest I have heard is that I shouldn't do more than 4 - 6 miles at a time as my blood supply will be going to my legs instead of the baby. Any thoughts?

How long did you continue running then, Monique? This is the first baby I have wanted to continue running with. My other babies are 17, 15 and 3 and yes it does pass quickly.
21 to 40 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.