Starting Running Again

3 messages
17/07/2007 at 08:46
I'm new to running started a few weeks ago and managed to do a few four mile runs, totally over-did it and gave myself shin splints.
I rested and these have since subsided and l want to get back out there today, what would a sensible distance be to start back out with to gradually get my body used to the running, 1.5/2 miles?
17/07/2007 at 09:06
I've just started running again too, used to run a lot but two kids and a slipped disc did for the running for more than 3 years!

Try a jog/walk schedule to start off with - you can download one from the RW website which takes you up to 30min running within 10 weeks. It seems a bit slow to start off with (jog 1 minute, walk 90 seconds, repeat 8 times) but honestly it works and you're far better off starting slowly and avoiding injury. I even managed to convince my husband, who was more from the 'get out there and beast yourself for 2 hours and never run again' school of thought!

Good luck!

Kerry
17/07/2007 at 12:47
Hi Matthew,

you say you had shinsplints - i suffered with this for ages and constantly had to stop running for a couple of weeks to rest - then i went and got a proper pair of trainers - a bit expensive but so worth it as i don't get any now and I can concentrate on mileage.
Also start off at your natural pace and don't worry about speed as you will gradually get faster without realising.
4 miles is a brilliant start - my first run consisted of a mile with 5 stops in it - i was knackered as i had just stopped smoking, 3 years on i can run 5 miles.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.