Stationary Running Books

Good ones?

8 messages
16/08/2002 at 12:59
My HRM for Compleat idiots is beginning to look a bit dog-eared. i also enjoy I run therefore i am -nuts by Bob Schwartz. Not to be read all at once, but good to dip into.
I also enjoyed Tanni Grey-Thompson's autobiog.
16/08/2002 at 15:03
If you haven't read it already, get yourself a copy of 'The looniness of a long distance runner' by Russell Taylor. I can't recommend this enough to anyone...an absolutely brilliant read - well written, observant and hugely funny!!!

JasonL would also recommend '26.2' by Julie Welch as an inspiring read to you. I haven't read it yet as I had it on order from Amazon for 3 months before they came back and said they couldn't get hold of it. :-(
16/08/2002 at 16:09
Julie Welch "26.2" is out of print. Try your local library ISBN was 0224059823.

She's done a similar book "Long Distance Information" ISBN 0330370995 which is listed as "unavailable", though I've seen it in London within the last 3 months. About how she took up cycling which led to running.

I still like the period charm of the late Jim Fixx.
16/08/2002 at 16:34
The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner by Russell Taylor is a book about running that's actually funny too.

16/08/2002 at 16:41
I am told the book by Lance Armstrong "It's not about the bike " is inspiring.

Read In the Playground of the Gods a while back which is by a sports journalist who gets to train with some of the worlds top sports people. A spell with Jansha Khan, Steve Redgrave and he even goes to Kenya to train with the runners. Quite good !
16/08/2002 at 19:53
Obsession For Running [a lifetime in athletics] Frank Horwill.
A crazy guy but know's everything about running.
16/08/2002 at 20:33
I like the sound of the Looniness of the Long Distance Runner and Obsession For Running, where can I purchase these books?
18/08/2002 at 16:50
You should also check out a book by Mike Stroud, called Survival of the Fittest. It doesn't really concentrate on running, but will inspire and educate you in the limits of the human body amd spirit. Three of my friends have started running since reading it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0099272598/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-0429129-1140609

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.