Striking a Balance

A question of compromise?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
16/08/2002 at 23:18
Vrap, I've often wondered how you fit your training in with 4 kids and a demanding job; I still take my hat off to you that you do things like train for marathons. I think I notice the slightest bit of wistfulness in some of these threads that our partners don't necessarily take as much interest or support us as much as we'd like them to.
Finally, Hilly, how can you have teenagers when you only look about 17??

17/08/2002 at 20:47
Cheers Laura, the glasses hide the lines!
17/08/2002 at 21:02
Oh also Laura I started very young!
17/08/2002 at 21:34
Laura, I'm really very privileged when it comes to being able to train. Although my hours are long, there's sometimes an hour or two in the middle of the day when I can snatch a run and a shower. My family are supportive, it's culturally acceptable for me to run (I really feel for the unsupported single mothers and the Muslim women, both of whom feature large in my practice area), and I earn enough not to have to worry about where the next pair of running shoes is coming from.

There are plenty of people, especially women, for whom the thought of even such an accessible sport as running is no more than a pipe-dream.

Cheers, V-rap.
17/08/2002 at 22:43
That's so true and worth bearing in mind when moaning about lack of support. Like you I enjoy lots of freedom - financial, cultural etc that many women don't even in the UK. I've noticed the conspicuous absence of black runners at the events I go to, for example.
Anyway, with tonight's news it all seems rather trivial doesn't it?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.