Sunny running & cycling holiday

Cycling and running holiday

1 message
13/06/2005 at 12:01
Just came back from a holiday in France and thought I'd write a note on it in case other forum readers were interested in a great holiday location.
My husband and I are keen runners and he's a keen cyclist as well. We always like to go on holiday somewhere where we can do a bit of both and catch some sunshine as well. This year we chose the French Pyrenees as my husband wanted to cycle some of the Tour de France Cols. We were initially staying elsewhere but a mix up in our booking meant we got a last minute room in a B&B near Lourdes run by a young British couple newly out to the area. Their old French Maison de Maitre has been converted to have two double ensuite rooms and one of the out buildings is being converted to house a further four rooms. The rooms were very nice with lovely bathrooms and the breakfasts and dinners (by request) were excellent.
The area is very very pretty and early June is not yet too hot so we were able to get some decent runs in as well and cycling. The local maps aren't always 100% accurate but you can devise some neat little routes or follow the walking maps. Roads aren't too busy either (except for cyclists) so some of the lanes made great runs as well as off roading a bit across hilly tracks. The heat at this time of year means midday should be avoided for running but after about 5 or 6 in the evening or in the morning it was really pleasant. We took hydration packs anyway just to be safe. The area is very handy for the Col de Tourmalet, Col d'Aspin & Col d'Aubisque so is not short of challenging cycling either.
So, all in all it was a lovely break and thoroughly recommended if you're looking for somewhere a little bit different but very relaxing.
(The B&B website is www.chez-passet.com for more information).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.