taking on water

how do you manage it?

1 to 20 of 72 messages
08/05/2007 at 12:02
during training I haven't been taking water with me, as I've not been going that far (longest run to date was 80 minutes) and i don't want to carry anything whilst running. Instead I've been making sure i'm topped up and then downing a couple of pints on my rturn.

In my first 10K at the weekend, I went for water at the water stations. Felt I ought to rather than because I was desparate for it. And I just couldn't seem to drink it. I slowed to a walk and still coudn't seem to find the co-ordination to get the water from the cup into my mouth and then to swallow.

The best way to dexcribe it was that I was having to breathe so hard that I couldn't spare the time/energy to get the water in. Resorted to throwing it at myself and managing to swallow what driblled into my mouth.

I don't suppose I'm the first person to have come acoss this, but it did seem a bit odd to say the least. Seeing I intend to keep running, it's something I think I ought to work out how to do! Any words of wisdom?
08/05/2007 at 12:14
No - you're not alone. I, for one, have nearly drowned myself in cups of water while racing on a number of occasions.

Only advice really is not to try and drink when you're breathing so hard its impossible - the good news is that if you really need a drink, it'll be in a longer race when you probably won't be going so fast. Slowing down into the water station helps as does having a brief walk if you really need the drink. You can also squeeze the top of the cup to form a sort of spout to stop it going everywhere which helps.
08/05/2007 at 12:25
...simple piece of advice...take your own bottle with water in if you are likely to need it.

You can then drink when you want, dont have to slow down to get a cup which you inevitibly spill ove ryourself, and you can always fill it at the stations, should you need to for subsequent drinks?
08/05/2007 at 12:35
Best thing for a 10k is don't bother - unless it's really baking hot you don't need water for that kind of distance.

If you are running longer and need a drink then walk through the water station - you'll lose about 3-4 seconds but if you need a drink then it's worth it. If it's bottles then you can drink on the run.

Some people will say you can squash a cup and then drink from it whilst running.
08/05/2007 at 12:39
i heard on someone who carries a straw and sticks it in the cup to sup it up!?!

id give that a go myself as i usually end up flinging the water in my eye and running on.
08/05/2007 at 12:53
I'm in the choke, sputter, spill then don't bother camp, guess I need more practice
08/05/2007 at 13:02
if I get a cup of water in a race and need to drink on the run then I generally tip out half of it, squeeze the cup in the middle and make a spout and sip a couple of mouthfuls and then pour the rest down my back if its very hot.

For marathons I would generally slow to a walk (you only lose a few seconds) and make sure I drink more.
08/05/2007 at 13:18
Thanks for the replies, so glad it's not just me. Blackbird, you've described it perfectly!

I felt like a bit of an idiot, spluttering with a cup of water, but it felt really odd. I did slow to a walk, and it still felt difficult.

I don't want to have to carry a water bottle, little things like that tend to put me off quite a lot. Looks like I'll have to add drinking practice in if I start going any further! Thanks for the tips.
08/05/2007 at 13:24
If you can manage to pour a little water under your tounge, you can then release it into your mouth when you are ready to swallow (i.e. in between breaths).

Otherwise, learning to absorb water through your nose would be a good trick! :o)
08/05/2007 at 13:27
you should not be taking on water during a 10K, unless it is a searingly hot day and you need to splash it on your head.

It takes 90 minutes, I seem to remember for water you have drunk to actually be available as sweat etc.

You need to drink *before* the race.
cougie    pirate
08/05/2007 at 13:36
I'd not bother in a 10k really, and only in a half it was hot.

If i need to take some water though and its in cups - walk thru the aid station and drink calmly. I've learned its quicker to do that than choke yourself on the water and lose more time that way.

A squeezable bottle can work too - so you jet the water into your mouth rather than suck it. Cant see the straw being useful if you wanna breathe too ?
08/05/2007 at 14:58
I only drink on very hot days at 10k races - usually dehydration isn't a problem for the time and distance.

I once inhaled (by accident, not co-ordinating breathing and swallowing) a whole cup of water at a water station in a 10k - and lost a minute coughing my lungs up aferwards.

Not recommended :(
08/05/2007 at 15:16
I just bought a 2 litre water bag which is worn either around the waist or across the back, and comes with a drinking tube. I haven't received it yet but the concept seems sound - carry the water with you (2 litres isnt much) and drink as necessary using a handy straw, no fear of water shortages or need to wait for water stations. Anyone else used these?
08/05/2007 at 15:22
helenliz, you may find it easier in a race when there are bottles at the water stations. They are a lot easier to drink from without getting soaked ;o)
08/05/2007 at 16:18

i also dont like carrying water, so on a long run i will set out plastic cups of water just outside the house front door and then do laps. It msut look odd to see me running up to the house, drinking some water and then running away, but i don't care, its better than carrying water.

alternatively carry money and buy some water on route.
08/05/2007 at 16:22
I get a dry mouth due to 'mouth breathing' and carry water to help this even on short runs. I do wonder if some of this not being able to rn with a dry mouth is psychological. I carry a middle sized donot.
08/05/2007 at 16:23
to clarify a donot is a donut bottle.
cougie    pirate
08/05/2007 at 16:32
2 litres is 2 kilos to carry.

I've used the backpacks for 20 mile training runs in the summer, but its a bit unnecessary for races in the UK normally.
08/05/2007 at 16:54
Worth bearing in mind that the guy who died at FLM suffered from hyponotraemia or whatever you call it.

He'd taken on too much water, essentially.
I think people get too het up about taking on water.

I've gone through plenty of halves without taking on a drop of water.
cougie    pirate
08/05/2007 at 16:56
I agree !
1 to 20 of 72 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.