Taper

How much/when to do it?

3 messages
26/02/2013 at 09:38

Hi Guys,

In my training plan for my upcoming half I've been upping the milage a bit at a time and my long runs are increasing. But I've read a lot about tapering to save the legs for the race. How much should I taper, and when should I start doing it?

I run where possible on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Weeks To Go / M / Tu / Th / S

(This week) 4 wk / 5 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 10
3 wk / 5 / 5 / 5 / 11
2 wk / 5 / 6 / 5 / 12
1 wk / 3 / 3 / 3 / 13.1 (Race)

I'm thinking maybe I should up the 11 mile run to a 12, and drop the 12 to an 8 or so.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

26/02/2013 at 10:08
mattywarr wrote (see)

I'm thinking maybe I should up the 11 mile run to a 12, and drop the 12 to an 8 or so.

Assuming this sort of mileage is new territory to you (?), I'd say this looks like a sensible taper plan.  Longest run two weeks out, but top it up with a longish one the week before. 

Have you done any runs at target pace?  I'd make one of your mid-week efforts a HM-pace tempo run, so the 5/6 mile runs could include 3-4M @ HMP, then during the final taper week do a shorter tempo run with just a couple of miles at target pace, on the Tuesday (maybe 4 miles total so that you can include 1 mile of w/u and c/d), then one more very easy run before the race.

26/02/2013 at 10:18

Hi Phil,

My longest run previously was a 10 miler about a year ago. Consistent training runs - definitely a new thing.

All the long runs have been at target pace so I'm feeling comfortable with those, and all my midweek runs tend to be at a tempo - well, tempo for me at least! Ha ha.

It seems I am actually learning! Thanks

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.