Team GB

341 to 360 of 10,333 messages
02/10/2013 at 10:29

Get a bike!

02/10/2013 at 10:42

Ive already told all my friends to watch for Samir in Brazil in 3 years time. Dont let me down Samir.

02/10/2013 at 10:43

Samir - let's be honest here, university study's a piece of p*ss as long as you're organised.

At one stage I was working full time (with a commute at both ends of the day), studing for a degree and traning for the London Marathon. It was a nightmare but I did it.

You have absolutely NO excuses, so stop trying to find them. I'm beginning to wonder if there might be a "fear of failure" thing going on here?

02/10/2013 at 10:44

**studying**, **training** - fecking edit function 

02/10/2013 at 10:45

Yes, talent and mileage. Most talented runner I ever knew (45 mls/wk max) could do a 4 minute mile and 5 miles in sub 24 minutes. However, when he got roped into a HM (for the Civil Service) our group was speculating on him getting a finish time of 72 minutes at best, or having to walk at some point.

Result, 68 minutes with a couple of 4:50 miles thrown into the mix to deal with some upstart.

Class will out.

02/10/2013 at 10:58

I can't say I found it a piece of p*ss, and didn't have the luxury of a handful of hours lectures, but I agree a bit of organisation is all that is needed.

I put a fair bit of time into my chosen 'sport', and went from being a rookie, to top university dude, and had there been a Team GB team at the time, I would have been knocking on the door.  Unfortunately Ten Pin Bowling never quite got the coverage it does in the US, and never got an appearance  on Sky Sports 8.

How I wish I had dropped the bowing and drinking, and was now in your position.

02/10/2013 at 11:00

Also Ran - you were good at ten pin bowling?

Thats kinda cool ............ I can never get the rotation right on the ball though ...... I either have weak wrists or wrong technique, but  I can never get the right amount of spin on the ball like the pros do.

I did once get a 171 which I was quite happy with.

02/10/2013 at 11:01

Screama - studing and traning did make me wounder what you were up to at uni

02/10/2013 at 11:01

**wounder**  fecking edit function 

02/10/2013 at 11:03

Mr A -  low to mid 200s quite regularly until the beer too effect. Combining two sports has already been discussed so I will say no more

02/10/2013 at 11:14

I agree, it is perfectly possible. I did the same as Screamy, full time job, studied for my MBA, maintained a girlfriend who lived 100 miles away which emant regular drives, and still managed to run for 4-6 hours a week. 2 hours on the train is perfect for studying/coursework/research/reading too.

02/10/2013 at 11:17

I think people are forgetting that he allready stated he runs 40 miles a week so he has no excuses. Think it's a case of hiding the truth again . Have we even verified his age/uni? 2 hours commute to uni seems ridiculous given the infrastructure in every city nowadays.. 

02/10/2013 at 11:19

And... Uni will never start earlier or finish later than specific times.. Really say 8-6 at most.. Where as my job I can do 3 different shifts in a week from 7am till 10pm getting up at 5:30 being home at 11pm and having my days off filled with travelling with my daughter.. No excuses Samir - let's be real now- how did you fit those 40 miles in around "uni" or before uni school... Organise yourself 

02/10/2013 at 11:23

A-r - Ha! Bowling was one of those sports I used to think I was "quite good" at, but these things are all relative and when I saw someone doing it properly I realised my high score of 170 was a bit shit really!

It's so easy to say as an old fart but I wish I had my time again at uni. It wasn't a doss and I studied reasonably hard but there was certainly a fair amount of free time to manage. I'll give him credit though, Samir seems to be more motivated to improve his sporting fitness than I was.  Curse that cheap halls of residence alcohol!

Scott - Youre not going to give Samir an easy ride like the rest of them on here are you

Scott, it's the first week of term for many unis. It's just been the summer vacation. And 'have we even verified his age/uni' seems a bit too stalkerish even for me. We're all strangers on an internet forum. None of this matters.

02/10/2013 at 11:27

Looking back, I can see where it all started going horribly wrong.  Even the garbage food on campus was reasonably priced.  £1.45 for a quintuple hotdog from Greasy's burger van.  Gaaah!

02/10/2013 at 11:30

Yeah, but that was £1.45 in the 'old days', Phil... 

02/10/2013 at 11:31

literatin - I dont know about that ......... remember that time we all paid a lot of attention to a certain female finisher in the Brighton marathon who did exceptionally well?

Sadly I have to report that in the races she's done since, shes lost form and dropped back to the standard she was usually at.  She must have peaked just for that race.

02/10/2013 at 11:31

Quintuple? How on earth did they serve it? 

I had a spicy hot dog with crab and cheese sauce on holiday - so wrong and yet so right 

341 to 360 of 10,333 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.