Team GB

7,221 to 7,240 of 10,437 messages
03/03/2014 at 07:45

In my experience doctors never really know about running inuries instead they refer you to a physio. Check out if there is a physio local to you that comes recommended, sure it may cost half hour consultancy but you'll likely get moving a bit quicker.

Lit - super PB , nice one!

03/03/2014 at 07:54
My point seren!! Very very vague! As with past injury claims!

I said about getting referred through a Doctor or going to see someone and paying. I wouldn't hesitate after being that injury ridden

No one is giving Samir a hard time and I was there to say about a fresh start I just hope

1)injury is not used as an excuse for the next few months for performance unless he gets seen and diagnosis. No excuse not to see someone
2)no more silly claims about running 45 min 10 milers this year - be real about ability, we can all dream but running pavement PBS to this....just no
3) joins a club or at least takes advice or look into better training methods
4) doesn't insult anyone the way he has done (banter or not)

A lot of us have met you now Samir! After I met you, within the month you were insulting me and making silly claims again, let hips it doesn't happen to everyone else on here - granted I may give you a rougher ride but I'm just very real and don't hesitate to point things out that are raising questions where as some people one day take one thing you say and the next believe the same contradiction

We all wish you the best as a runner and hoping the injury clears / back to running well soon

Part of life/running - as Johnny said taking lows with highs and for the mean time there are going to be more lows very true!!
03/03/2014 at 07:56
And the week building upto reading after I posted all his silly claims to reflect on I switched to say about how reading would be a stepping stone

Either way its main focus is what will he do after - we all knew 1:14 was never going to happen and the claims are largely bullshit

Here's to a fresh start Samir !

No running today either chap!

Lurk mode *
OS
03/03/2014 at 08:09

Lit. Super PB. Under 1 25 is a great achievement. 

OS
03/03/2014 at 08:29

Scott, in fairness, you do seem to have it in for Samir. When you slatted him for blagging a freebie (which was, admittedly, cheeky with a 80min HM, but if you don't ask, you don't get), I pointed out that I had blagged one with a 72min HM, which you conveniently ignored and continued to slate him, but not me?

Samir - some people seem to speak well of you after meeting you yesterday, so do yourself a favour and take advantage of that instead of needlessly shooting your mouth off and insulting people.

I will add that I saw Samir warming up, and again at about 12m and in both cases he was running very lopsided, so I don't doubt that there is some injury (or he has got a god-awful running style - not sure which number though ).

Having said that Samir it was stupid of you to start if you were that injured, and even more stupid to try lead. If you want to find your limits in running you need to pay attention to your body; all the positive thinking in the world will not allow you to bend it to your will.

As an example, I was, originally, due to start from the elite pen, but I was in bed sick most of the week, so I had a chat with the organisers and got a number for a different pen instead (I like a freebie if I've (semi) earned it, but I won't take the p!ss) and paced my little brother at a much slower pace instead. It was frustrating, but it was the right thing to do.

Hopefully you will start to take a more sensible approach now.

03/03/2014 at 08:36

I can also confirm that Samir was running a bit lopsided when I caught up with him at around 10.5 miles, but had plenty of breath left to run alongside me and chat, except that clearly I couldn't do that as I was running at (my) flat-out half PB pace, so he let me go on ahead. So certainly injury rather than knackeredness, but I do hope he will go to a physio as I suggested about 400 pages ago.

03/03/2014 at 08:55
literatin wrote (see)

But in the interests of full disclosure I should point out that it was 1:24 and 52 seconds. I can't quite bring myself to present this as just 1:24. But am still very happy about it. 

I ran 1:24:57 at Deal so you are 5 seconds faster than me. I'm aiming for 2:50 so

sub 3, sub 3, sub 3

In all seriousness, it will actually be quite close. Double plus 10 is a hard conversion but not impossible. In 2011 I did 82:15 and 2:57:09 (double plus 12:39) and then a year later I did 79:34 and 2:50:28 (double plus 11:20).

A lot will depend on factors only you can really tell and know such as how well Reading really reflects a true raced performance versus a half done in the middle of marathon training and also how well you have covered the long run side of things.

carterusm wrote (see)

Samir - good effort yesterday, well done. Onwards and upwards......

One out of two. It wasn't a good effort yesterday at all. I'll admit that Samir was between a rock and a hard place so if he didn't run he was going to get a lot of stick and if he did run the same, but do you honestly think that shooting out of the blocks and leading the race and then limping home is a good effort? I don't.

Yesterday was not about effort. It was about a show and we got a show. I'm writing the screen play soon so if anyone has some money and fancies backing a film, who knows, we may be sipping cocktails in the Vanity Fair party this time next year. The outcome is probably best for all. 799 people crossed the finish line before Samir so a lot of people have 1-0 head to head wins now (if Samie Haddad is corrected to Samir Haddad in po10) and there are another 101 with faster chip times which shows how crowded the start is at Reading: the guy who finished in 799th place with 1:30:17 gun was chipped at 1:26:59.

As for onwards and upwards, we shall see. I doubt that Samir will just fade into club obscurity and do the sensible thing. Team GB: the thread that just keeps on giving.

03/03/2014 at 09:00
Scott Edgington wrote (see)
Of course a lot of you fail to see what a joke this has become ...

Scott, this is why most of us are here!

03/03/2014 at 09:01

There's no doubt in my mind from that video of Samir passing the mile marker that he was carrying an injury.  A guy clearly capable of decent times (as demonstrated by his previous 80 mins, and good 5k and 10k times) shouldn't be running that lopsided as TT puts it!  He looked in pain, which could have been down to too fast a start, but he definitely looks injured to me.

Bit of a "daft wee laddie" as he would get called up my way for all the big, unrealistic claims, failing to listen to the more experienced runners and for running with the injury.

But no more than that - and he is just 19.  I'm glad that all the daft things I said or did when I was 19 are not saved on the internet somewhere.

Samir, chin up and keep at it.  Get the injury sorted out and then start listening to people who clearly know what they're speaking about!

03/03/2014 at 09:16

Calum - I agree.  I also want to point out that he looked to be purposefully running well out of the way of all the people running past him, to not get in their way.

Also (shock horror!), I agree with DF3/Mr I.  Samir is undoubtedly having a bit of a laugh in some of his posts (something Scott doesn't seem to appreciate).  I haven't met Samir, but I think it was clear from his posts that his heart is in the right place and he obviously has some talent.

03/03/2014 at 09:39

scott , in a weekend where you went sub 16 for 5k and Samir had a bit of a stinker i would have thought the classy thing to do would be ease off on the keyboard rather than some cut price detective pouring over all his splits/training/results and picking away at him.  you seem to think all those that are not giving him a hard time are beliefer's that need to see the error of our ways,  we are not.   Let the lad have outlandish goals as race performances will out the truth.  

03/03/2014 at 09:39

ffs - slated, not slatted. Brain is not firing this morning!

Calum - good point; I did notice that too on the video that he at least had the sense to run off to the side.

03/03/2014 at 09:40

Oh, and I wouldn't pay a massive amount of attention to the Reading 5k splits - either the mile markers were out or the mats were (or both which on past experience is usually the case).

03/03/2014 at 09:57

The halfway marker and giant clock were definitely in totally the wrong place.

03/03/2014 at 10:11

Yeah, if the halfway marker was right then I ran a negative split.  And I can quite categorically state that that was not the case.

03/03/2014 at 10:14

Lit - At least we won't have that problem at London.  The halfway marker's always bang on there.  It was decided in the pub last night that I'll be going through in 1:28:45.  Hope that's OK with you. 

Scott - There was also talk of Eastleigh.  I'm eyeing up a return to racing as my foot injury has improved, although the priority is the Southern road relays the week after Eastleigh.  If I'm feeling really bullish I might do both, but don't count on it. Not sure I'd be firing on all cylinders anyway, so I think you'd have me on recent form.

03/03/2014 at 10:16
If anyone ran a negative split id be surprised.the last three miles were windy as anything
03/03/2014 at 10:27

PP, come on, get on the sub-33 train at Eastleigh.

Although, given yesterday, that may be ridiculously ambitious for me too.

03/03/2014 at 10:46

Out interest SG, what was the 'big M' up to yesterday? noticed he wasn't in his usual position. Leading you.

By example of course

03/03/2014 at 10:49

So is it definitely decided that Literatin is going for a sub 3 hour then?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.