Team GB

7,241 to 7,260 of 10,435 messages
03/03/2014 at 10:55

Lit: they're orange.  You won't forget them in a hurry.  And I'd say if you ran the 1.24.52 off only a modest taper then you are there or thereabouts for sub-3

03/03/2014 at 10:57
literatin wrote (see)
The real Mr I wrote (see)

So is it definitely decided that Literatin is going for a sub 3 hour then?

Nah, Philpub just has this fantasy of making me spend 2 hours 59 minutes staring at his tiny red shorts.

I spose Phil reckons if you've got it, you might as well flaunt it!

03/03/2014 at 11:01

Ah, the photos are out.  Which leads me to reveal which of the pre-race bets have landed on a day where the bookies had a field day.

over 1h30 - 8/1 (big price, but no takers)

Dachs (1/7) v Samir (4/1)
Stevie G (5/6) v Samir (5/6)
Dachs' Dad (10/1) v Samir (1/20)
Anuradha Cooray (no offer) v Samir (500/1) - can't believe nobody took this on as Samir shows the Olympian a thing or two about gritting it out.

Samir to lead at any point of the race (3/1) - won (see photo)
Samir to be leading at 1 mile (40/1) - lost
Samir to run mile 1 at sub 4h30 (25/1) - lost
Forgotten Chip (evens) - lost
Overslept/lost on way/late for start/car breakdown (3/1) - lost
First fancy dress to beat Samir (12/1) - won 

Samir to walk at any point (4/1) - won
Samir to vomit at any point (2/1) - won (presumably as he went to McDonalds)
Samir to be chicked (1/8) - won
Samir to pull home economics teacher en route (150/1) - lost (presumably)
Samir to be selected by Team GB for world half marathon champs (1000/1) - lost

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 11:03
03/03/2014 at 11:03

Any discussion of race-day clothing colour is merely speculation at this stage, and will not be confirmed until such time as coordination with the sponsor's requirements can be assessed.

(So, red, orange, or green basically...)

03/03/2014 at 11:07

But you promised me red, Phil!

03/03/2014 at 11:10

Great work again Dan!  Actually that photo of Samir leading the race is an absolute beauty.  I wondered what's going through the minds of Scott Overall, Phil Wicks and Nick Torry in the background there?  Come on Dachs, this has got commemorative plate written all over it!

03/03/2014 at 11:12

Lit - Good point.  Red it is then.  Adidas as well as anyone should know that red is the fastest colour.

03/03/2014 at 11:23
PhilPub wrote (see)

Come on Dachs, this has got commemorative plate written all over it!

Unfortunately, it's also got 'marathon-photos.com' written all over it as well.  If someone technical minded can get rid of that gubbins, I can produce a plate.

03/03/2014 at 11:27

red!  i thought yellow was the fastest.  more kit to buy.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/03/2014 at 11:29

Fair play - that's a photo to keep.  Not by me obviously, but Samir should probably get a copy.

03/03/2014 at 11:29

Lurker on this thread since the beginning, but I just have to post to say those odds (Dan A) and the photo of Samir leading the pack at 20yds are absolutely priceless - I was literally lolling . Samir, you gotta love 'im - definitely one of a kind!

03/03/2014 at 11:31

Oh and just for the record, I was also gunning to break  sub 75 for the first time yesterday too at the Bath Half.

...and I DID IT! 1'14'43 - a close call, but oh so satisfying 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/03/2014 at 11:35
Dachs wrote (see)
PhilPub wrote (see)

Come on Dachs, this has got commemorative plate written all over it!

Unfortunately, it's also got 'marathon-photos.com' written all over it as well.  If someone technical minded can get rid of that gubbins, I can produce a plate.

If everyone who's enjoyed this thread chipped in we could buy our own copy, then you can do what you want with it.

Looking at some of the other pictures, there's definitely some lop-sided running going on.  I doubt that anyone could sprint off at the start like that with a groin injury, so I think the running style is the cause of the problems rather than the result.

03/03/2014 at 11:46
DeanR7 wrote (see)

red!  i thought yellow was the fastest.  more kit to buy.

Hmmm... looking at that photo of our illustrious leader, it would appear that Overall and Wicks agree with you, but Torry's hedging his bets with the Serpies' red and yellow kit.  I'll probably do what I did last year and cover all the basis with some yellow socks and shoes.

03/03/2014 at 11:57
RicF wrote (see)

Out interest SG, what was the 'big M' up to yesterday? noticed he wasn't in his usual position. Leading you.

By example of course

A nice riddle Ric, but have no idea what you mean!

Obviously M is Moraghan, but the rest of your post has escaped me!

IronCat5    pirate
03/03/2014 at 12:15
literatin wrote (see)

The halfway marker and giant clock were definitely in totally the wrong place.

Outside a pub and near a supermarket. Worked well for me as a supporter.

03/03/2014 at 12:15

No riddle, I've simply noticed that in many races involving the pair of you, he finishes ahead. Yesterday he didn't.

Of course there could be two fellows with the same name. Maybe that was the reason.

03/03/2014 at 12:30

oh wait, the M is a different M? Who is it?

There were a whole bunch of people I know from the local scene who did under what they can/have done before yesterday.  Beat a few with better pbs than me.

Some simply have a higher top end, but have bigger drop offs when not going to plan.

03/03/2014 at 13:06

Indeed SG. I also noticed in the results all manner of names not where I expected them to be.

I like to think that was due to using the race as MP training. 

03/03/2014 at 13:11
RicF wrote (see)

I like to think that was due to using the race as MP training. 

That must have been what I was doing then ...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.