Team GB

1 to 20 of 10,333 messages
cougie    pirate
21/09/2013 at 21:46
You need to prove yourself in races.
Training times mean nothing. They're often measured wrong.

If you think you're good enough - get out there and race.

Good luck with it - it will be very tough.
21/09/2013 at 21:58
I don't think you choose to join team GB.
If you are good enough they will come to you.
21/09/2013 at 22:00

Looking at your other threads, it seems as if you enjoy sport and have some vague idea of doing it for a living (you even mentioned the 2016 Olympics at one point) but don't know whether you want to dedicate yourself to running or football.

Perhaps it may help you to know that if, at 19, you are hoping to be scouted by playing for your university's first team then you have no chance at all. You will have needed to have been spotted by a club at 13, 14 or earlier and taken into a youth programme for any chance of a professional football career so you can safely shelve that fantasy. Sorry. 

As for running - I still think you're being very naïve about the talent and commitment you need to succeed. But if you are serious, the first thing you need to do is join a running club and find out how you compare to their best runners.

Edited: 21/09/2013 at 22:02
21/09/2013 at 22:09

Way to destroy someone's youthful dreams, Screamapillar. 

I was just starting to think I could join Team GB too.

21/09/2013 at 22:13

Well, you know me, ever the realist

I think Samir's old enough to handle the news that dreams and goals aren't necessarily the same thing.

(Don't tell him about the tooth fairy though)

Edited: 21/09/2013 at 22:14
21/09/2013 at 22:14
literatin wrote (see)

Start training for an international age-group duathlon or triathlon and I reckon you've got every chance.  You'll have to pay for your own gimp suit though.  

21/09/2013 at 22:15

When's your race Samir? Is it next Sunday?

21/09/2013 at 22:15
PhilPub wrote (see)
literatin wrote (see)

Start training for an international age-group duathlon or triathlon and I reckon you've got every chance.  You'll have to pay for your own gimp suit though.  

Ooh! really? I can only do rubbish breaststroke though and I ride a Raleigh Caprice.

21/09/2013 at 22:17

Samir - Why not join a running club now?  (You'll probably get the rest of the year's subs for free!)  Whatever your potential, a good Autumn/Winter's training (and perhaps some cross-country running if you're up for it) will help your fitness and stamina along no end, ready for some serious racing next year.

21/09/2013 at 22:19

You see - completely naïve.

You seem to think all this is going to happen by magic, Samir.

If you are going to dedicate yourself to running you need to do it now - not next year  - and ditch football.

You also need to realise you may already have left it too late.

Wake up lad!

21/09/2013 at 22:21
Samir Haddad 2 wrote (see)

In my case dreams and goals are identical becuase I've got it like that  . I even think i'm gonner be the first to run a sub 2 hour marathon. No really.

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

21/09/2013 at 22:23
literatin wrote (see)
PhilPub wrote (see)
Ooh! really? I can only do rubbish breaststroke though and I ride a Raleigh Caprice.

Yeah, definitely. If you could get your cycling fitness anywhere close to your running fitness you'd be there or thereabouts, I reckon.  (I'm not qualified to talk about swimming.  Your breaststroke is probably quicker than my front crawl.)

21/09/2013 at 22:24
This could be one of the all time best threads!
21/09/2013 at 22:25

Shaping up nicely isn't it Millsy?

(And I say that with absolutely no relish).

21/09/2013 at 22:26
Samir Haddad 2 wrote (see)

In my case dreams and goals are identical becuase I've got it like that  . I even think i'm gonner be the first to run a sub 2 hour marathon. No really.

If this happens because you become the first person to learn how to fly, don't forget to touch down for all the chip timing mats, otherwise your world-beating time won't count.  Which would be a shame.

21/09/2013 at 22:26

Ha, Phil, you've actually got me looking up F30-34 results in qualifying duathlon events! But I think perhaps it'll have to wait until I can afford the kind of bike that doesn't have a wicker basket on the front.

21/09/2013 at 22:28

Samir - if you want to be an elite runner you have to dedicate your life to it - no football, no boxing.

But you don't really want to be a runner, you're just a fantasist.

21/09/2013 at 22:30

You lot are being so negative ....... I still have aspirations of joining Team GB and Im 38!

And Im pretty sure I can get beat my current 24.10, 5k time in the next month or so now that Im back to full training after taking time off for errrrr hayfever ........

21/09/2013 at 22:32

Don't worry Samir, Screamapillar is just jealous because she isn't going to be joining team GB.

Though I have to say some of those F30-34 duathletes look a bit speedy, so I'm not sure I am either.  

21/09/2013 at 22:37
literatin wrote (see)

But I think perhaps it'll have to wait until I can afford the kind of bike that doesn't have a wicker basket on the front.

A good workman doesnt blame their tools ........ I mean I have the latest Nike T-shirt and shorts ...... a garmin on my wrist ..... and Adidas Boost shoes ...... yet still got past in my last race by a couple of guys from the Army who had 30kg backpacks on.

1 to 20 of 10,333 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.