Tell me if you think my definition of running a marathon is 'correct' .....

201 to 220 of 232 messages
28/02/2013 at 13:34
JMopper wrote (see)

There is no ultimate answer. 

Have you not been reading my posts in this thread???

28/02/2013 at 14:02
"Tell me if you think my definition of running a marathon is 'correct' ....."

Some people think its correct. Others think it's incorrect.

No one is going to change their mind.

28/02/2013 at 14:11

ive got to say DF3 this thread is up there with one of your good 'ens 

now im not a stalker as such but ive read alot of yours and they are brilliant!

28/02/2013 at 14:19

don't encourage him....or is that you DF3 under your alternative name...??

28/02/2013 at 14:25

Interesting that he presumably gets off on winding people up, however I doubt many folk are actually bothered. Just exagerrating for effect. This of course means hes just getting himself off in his own fevered imagination...

28/02/2013 at 14:36

I do get off on winding people up, but then you are making the mistake of assuming that everything is a wind up. Whats the point of having a challenge like a marathon, when you are going to start adding all sorts of wishy washy caveats. Its a marathon. Its supposed be hard ...... suck it up! If the rules make it too hard for you, go and do something else.

28/02/2013 at 14:37

here here!!

(murmer murmer)

28/02/2013 at 14:38

David - wow! managed 11 pages out of this one?! That's good going ha ha ha! I cant believe you are still fishing this pond! 

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
28/02/2013 at 14:45
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

. Its a marathon. Its supposed be hard ......  

Is it ?  There was me thinking the hundreds of miles of training you do towards a marathon were the hard part, and the race itself was easy ?

What is the maxim, Train hard, fight easy ?

28/02/2013 at 14:48

It's a race - not a 'challenge'. The idea is to get around as quick as possible on your own two feet.

If you want a challenge, try parking in Asda on a Saturday morning.

28/02/2013 at 14:48
JMopper wrote (see)

There is no ultimate answer - you have your standards. Other people have their's.

Deal with it.

The point is that, never having run, walked or even made it into a marathon David doesn't even know if he can meet his own standards. If the day ever dawns when he does there will be virtual tumbleweed blowing through the thread as he fails to notify us of his failure to run every last step.

28/02/2013 at 14:50

The thing is if other athletic events adopted the same rules as 'marathon runners', you would end up with a high jump event where the competitor was allowed to use a chair jump off to help them out, or a shotput where they can use a lighter shot because the heavier one is a 'bit harder'.

Why should the rules be watered down so some office worker in Milton Keynes who goes to the gym twice a week can put themselves in the same category as a RicF or a PhilPub or even our very own Stevie G and Also-ran???

28/02/2013 at 14:53

The thing is if other athletic events adopted the same rules as 'marathon runners', you would end up with a high jump event where the competitor was allowed to use a chair jump off to help them out, or a shotput where they can use a lighter shot because the heavier one is a 'bit harder'.

Why should the rules be watered down so some office worker in Milton Keynes who goes to the gym twice a week can put themselves in the same category as a RicF or a PhilPub or even our very own Stevie G and Also-ran???

Because, for the final time, they're YOUR "rules" not THE rules.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
28/02/2013 at 14:53

How have the rules been watered down ? 

The person who gets fromthe start line to the finish line in the shortest time wins, The person who takes the longest time comes last. Not sure how that equates to watering down the rules

28/02/2013 at 14:55

Thats not quite the same though is it - walking isn't 'assistance' its slower than running. It's also available to every runner.

A fairer comparison would be letting a high jumper walk upto the bar - which I'm sure theyre perfectly entitled to do.

28/02/2013 at 14:57

IAAF don't make any distinction between running a marathon and walking portions of it, or stopping for a dump. If you cross the line first you win.

28/02/2013 at 15:00
loulabell wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Poor ultra people. Although in the words of an old clubmate, the slower you get the longer the distances you cover!

i didnt have time to 'get slow' i just got bored with HM and mara too quickly !

AgentGinger wrote (see)

IAAF don't make any distinction between running a marathon and walking portions of it, or stopping for a dump. If you cross the line first you win.

Well it appears that the IAAF and myself are at an impasse.

28/02/2013 at 15:04

http://images.wikia.com/legomessageboards/images/2/28/You-shall-not-pass.jpeg

28/02/2013 at 15:06

Blimey, named checked in a thread at last. It only took 12 months. From this day I no longer class myself as a newbie runner. I am a runner (who is prepared to take a walk break if needs must).

28/02/2013 at 15:08

ha ha ha Also-ran

201 to 220 of 232 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.