Thames Valley Cross Country 2011/12

The 'official' thread. Of course.

281 to 287 of 287 messages
30/01/2012 at 09:47

did that Last friday course once about 3 or 4 years ago. Is a bit of a hike, and not too handy if you don't work in London though.

Can't really remember the route to be fair, a 2 lapper though.

a 5k at Dorney would be perfect i think

30/01/2012 at 13:55

The rain last Friday didn't help the course on Saturday - the final k run in was pretty wet. If it had been dry or frozen then I suspect Ben would have been faster - he practically had to swim through the last big puddle 20 yards from the line.

The York parkrun only started 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I'm hearing there are definite plans afoot from some of the north clubs to have a crack at Craig Mottram's 14:00 all-time parkrun record from Bushy. It's very wind affected though, so it will have to be the right day. You could say the same about Dorney as well - get a  strong wind in the wrong direction and you could easily lose a minute.

Of the Thames Valley Summer 5k series courses most people seem to regard the Marlow course as the fastest, although in the last few years the Dashers have scored more PBs at Maidenhead than Marlow, I think because Marlow changed the course. Datchet is the flattest, but there's nearly half on grass.

30/01/2012 at 14:51

never run the Marlow one as Ialways marshall it.

I'd summarise them like this though...

Wargrave,   undulating road, second half gives you a bit of a shock with an incline or 2
Burnham    technically the "hardest", due to the steep short ups, but starts downhill gently to set you off quickly

Maidenhead  nice and flat but 4 km on grass and trail. Often the fastest (Marlow withstanding)

Wycombe, 2 laps of the grassy Rye, and then a slight undulation round the back on paths. Mentally the toughest course as you see the whole field on each lap. Especially if you live very close to it anyway! Normally wishing for the series to be over by now

Datchet, similar to Wycombe, but just 2 laps. Slight variety with path and gravel sections. Always a delight to get this one done, and the post series banter normally means the evening is a late one!

ahh is it summer yet?

09/02/2012 at 07:23
Sprint for the line wrote (see)
Pity we're booted out by some pansy jumped up scooters.

Think you should head over to warren heath and run the course they`ve left behind....  its superb!!!

10/03/2012 at 17:26
So Ben returned and finished the job today at Black Park - 15:09, taking 22 seconds off the course record. I feel a bit sorry for the young lad from Hillingdon AC who also broke the previous record with 15:28 and found himself only 2nd
Edited: 10/03/2012 at 17:26
06/11/2012 at 20:54

So, first race this Sunday at Datchet: has everyone found their shoes from last year and cleaned the mud off?

06/11/2012 at 21:03

I've been vetoed from racing sunday, but in fairness i'm not too downhearted!

Ben's back for this race only (albeit only as a guest this time), so it looks like the battle is on for 2nd place

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
281 to 287 of 287 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.