The chia craze - BBC article

8 messages
23/03/2012 at 07:56

Hi fellow runners,

I may not be the first to spot this but thought I would put this on anyway out of interest - especially if any of you have read Born To Run... link to BBC article:

The chia craze

Tony.

23/03/2012 at 10:07
Interesting. I wonder if you can grow it at home (to get it cheaper/fresher), or would you need a plot the size of a wheat field?
23/03/2012 at 19:07

I wouldn't mind trying some out.

Prices are pretty expensive unless you're baking your own bread and mixing it in with the flower. They seem to be very good nutritionally, but have a whiff of the old 'acai berries' or 'magnetic power bracelet' about them. 

Kryten    pirate
23/03/2012 at 20:26

I bought some chia seeds off Amazon ages ago after reading Born to Run. I fully expected them to turn me into a world class ultra runner overnight *.

If you soak them for 10 mins or so they turn into a kind of gel. So you can add them to a glass of orange juice and maybe a dash of lemon juice and it makes quite nice drink if a little chewy.

* - sorry to disappoint but it didn't happen.

Edited: 23/03/2012 at 20:26
23/03/2012 at 22:45
A chewy drink. Well, you've sold me on these seeds now!
23/03/2012 at 22:53
A chewy drink bit like drinking tap water in Egypt.
my dietician The bookworm says I dont need them good enough for me
Kryten    pirate
23/03/2012 at 23:06
Yes definitely a bit chewy. Also - Nykie - I think I should warn you, that after you have soaked them, they do tend to resemble frogspawn!
23/03/2012 at 23:49
Oooh, frogspawn, my favourite. All those little babies waiting to be born. Or drank

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.