The Great Debate - what classes as a race?

Are events that don't record your finishing time or place, real races?

61 to 72 of 72 messages
kittenkat    pirate
05/04/2014 at 19:54
Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

I thought we had a masturbate thread once. KK posted three times a day

Well, what are you actually asking from a woman with a dick? Don't deliberately embarrass me.

kittenkat    pirate
06/04/2014 at 06:11

TOTP

06/04/2014 at 07:55

Got a marathon this morning. Might be a real race at my end but not sure if it is down the charity end. 

kittenkat    pirate
06/04/2014 at 18:19
Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Got a marathon this morning. Might be a real race at my end but not sure if it is down the charity end. 

You refer to your dick as 'the charity end'? That's a bit generous.

07/04/2014 at 10:54

I really need to sort out my charity end

25/04/2014 at 15:00

Everything that isn't a recovery session is a race

25/04/2014 at 15:20

These days a race (in the running sense) involves recording who came first, second, etc., and their times.  In the old days, before stopwatches, they just used to record positions, I suppose.

The 'space race' is journo-ese which has passed into common use, not real.  Like the word marathon is used to describe anything which takes a long time, which can mean shopping and so on.

Race for Life used to give a prize for first place - don't they do that any more?

literatin wrote (see)
Ben RW wrote (see)

Hello everyone.

As part of an upcoming feature in the mag, we want to know your thoughts on the following question -

Are events that don't record your finishing time or place, real races?

Post your comments, thoughts and opinions below.

Thanks!

Actually, in case this is going in the mag, I have a comment: you   need to remove the comma between 'place' and 'real'.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

That's what I like to see!

25/04/2014 at 16:33

I ate a king size snickers once. That really was a marathon...

27/04/2014 at 10:23

What about this other varient? On Strava they do a monthly "race" where you aim to do e.g. a 10k as fast as poss during the month. It records your best 10k from any attempts and uploads it to a leaderboard. So for example, last month I came 600th out of 21,000 entrants. You have to opt-in to be in the list. So my time and position might actually be from a solo run (although better times normally come from actual races), so does that count as a race? You can have a few attempts - it doesn't take the first one you do.

27/04/2014 at 13:12
That is a time trial at best. A race must be over the same course at the same time to ensure the same conditions for each competitor. You could go out on the bike and enter it as a run and no one would know any better.
29/04/2014 at 18:29

If you die after 3k because the start wS too early and the lead bike didnt show up can you use 'yeah but I don't call it a race' as an excuse for your epic fail?

07/05/2014 at 22:55

Anything that you put your maximum effort into I suppose. Depends on how you approach the run. A club handicap or a parkrun can be a race depending on how you approach it. 

.....or maybe I'm talking nonsense.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 72 of 72 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.