The Great Debate - what classes as a race?

Are events that don't record your finishing time or place, real races?

61 to 66 of 66 messages
27/04/2014 at 10:23

What about this other varient? On Strava they do a monthly "race" where you aim to do e.g. a 10k as fast as poss during the month. It records your best 10k from any attempts and uploads it to a leaderboard. So for example, last month I came 600th out of 21,000 entrants. You have to opt-in to be in the list. So my time and position might actually be from a solo run (although better times normally come from actual races), so does that count as a race? You can have a few attempts - it doesn't take the first one you do.

29/04/2014 at 18:29

If you die after 3k because the start wS too early and the lead bike didnt show up can you use 'yeah but I don't call it a race' as an excuse for your epic fail?

07/05/2014 at 22:55

Anything that you put your maximum effort into I suppose. Depends on how you approach the run. A club handicap or a parkrun can be a race depending on how you approach it. 

.....or maybe I'm talking nonsense.

21/08/2014 at 12:40

Surely "the great debate" is whether or not runners should nod at each other as they pass...

27/08/2014 at 10:02

The road race handbook says about serious races v funruns  "However, the essential distinction is that if no special rewards are made to any participants (other than a finisher memento to all) and if no results or times are recorded, then your event’s status is a fun run

27/08/2014 at 10:24

r_h has it - if you give a prize for winning it's a race, otherwise it is a fun run.

That is how parkrun get away without medical cover, etc.  If they gave prizes for winning parkrun would be a race and then they would have to jump through all the race licence conditions to get insurance cover.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 66 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.