The Guardian's new running blog

Oh dear

1 to 20 of 28 messages
06/02/2013 at 13:51

I'm not a fan of running blogs but this one on The Guardian website could have legs (see what I did there?)

So one of the first questions is what are the best running websites. As I type there are various suggestions including several recommendations for Fetch. No mention of RW.

I wonder what the implications of this are for RW.

Tommygun2    pirate
06/02/2013 at 13:55

That will be down to KK, didn't she piss off some Guardian jurno the other day or was that another rag.

cougie    pirate
06/02/2013 at 13:57
LOL - kk in charge of PR for RW - maybe that was a mistake ?

You can always tweet them and tell them of us - but really - do we want soppy Guardian readers on here ?
06/02/2013 at 13:58

Well, to be honest, it's not a great website is it?  I like the forum, obviously, but I gave up on the rest of the site long ago.

06/02/2013 at 13:58

Well, I'm a Guardian-reading herbivore and not ashamed!

06/02/2013 at 14:00

Muttley wrote (see)

I'm not a fan of running blogs but this one on The Guardian website could have legs (see what I did there?)

So one of the first questions is what are the best running websites. As I type there are various suggestions including several recommendations for Fetch. No mention of RW.

I wonder what the implications of this are for RW.

We will be left to our own evil devices.... Bwaahahahahaha! 

06/02/2013 at 14:02
cougie wrote (see)

You can always tweet them and tell them of us - but really - do we want soppy Guardian readers on here ?

I used to read the Guardian too, I remember why I stopped...they sacked the gifted picture-editor, and in the same week had a photo on the front page of London fashion week or some such, and relegated an image of Peter Tatchell trying to Citizen's Arrest Robert Mugabe to an inside page.

I really did just look at the pictures.

06/02/2013 at 14:11

Have you considered the Sunday Sport, Mr P?

06/02/2013 at 14:15
Muttley wrote (see)

Have you considered the Sunday Sport, Mr P?

SPORT !!!  Wash your mouth out, anyone would think this is a running forum

06/02/2013 at 14:20

RW got mentioned for the Events Calendar. There was also this in the comments:

Runners World is a good site. The forums can be a good source of information and advice but they do have their fair share of people who are a bit arsey to newcomers. Fortunately, they also have an ignore button.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 14:23
Tom77 wrote (see)

Runners World is a good site. The forums can be a good source of information and advice but they do have their fair share of people who are a bit arsey to newcomers. Fortunately, they also have an ignore button.

i'd say thats spot on!

cougie    pirate
06/02/2013 at 14:27
LOL Tom !

Blimey - the Fetchies are out in full force there - I'm suspecting they have a thread on their site about it too.
06/02/2013 at 15:12
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Well, to be honest, it's not a great website is it?  I like the forum, obviously, but I gave up on the rest of the site long ago.

You mean there's more to this site than the forum??  

06/02/2013 at 15:22

A tad unfair, maybe? I use the Events directory a lot, and the Training section (especially Smartcoach and the calculators). The "5 steps to a sub-2hr marathon" and "25 ways to lace your shoes" articles I can do without but there was a time when I was a beginner and could have found something useful in them.

I know Fetch is highly thought of but I just can't get to like it. Seems a very fussy and busy layout, trying to cram too much into each screen.

But I can see the direction of travel so maybe I'd better try to learn to love Fetch.

06/02/2013 at 15:25

25 ways to lace shoes?  If that's what it says then it's guilty of hypobole because there was a mathematics paper a while back that calculated there were several million ways to lace up a pair of shoes. Not saying all of them are useful

06/02/2013 at 15:27
Muttley wrote (see)

A tad unfair, maybe? I use the Events directory a lot, and the Training section (especially Smartcoach and the calculators). 

That was more about me than about the site, Muttley!

I don't get on with Fetch either, they're all too damn' nice.

06/02/2013 at 15:39
Steve C amid the winter's snow wrote (see)

25 ways to lace shoes?  If that's what it says then it's guilty of hypobole because there was a mathematics paper a while back that calculated there were several million ways to lace up a pair of shoes. Not saying all of them are useful

If there are millions of ways to tie laces and RW lists 25 ways, then it's guilty of understatement, not hyperbole. Of course, i'm guilty of being a pedantic tool.

06/02/2013 at 15:44

I had a quick squiz over the Fetch forum once.  Looked a bit too much like a knitting circle.  So I just use the training log, which is ace. 

06/02/2013 at 15:47
Tom77 wrote (see)

normally the type of newbies that get that response are those who come on proclaiming being able to do some amazing times off no training.

i'm sure they'd get as cold a greeting in the flesh too!

06/02/2013 at 15:59

another non fan of fetch here, I think I went on when it first sprang up, but can't be arsed with all that 'log your miles here' and 'see how you compare' type stuff.
tbh I only come here for the forums, but do occasionally use the events stuff.
As for the Guardian well good luck to them. I read that Finn book (running with the Kenyans) , twas OK , if a little self indulgent, which is basically my view on blogs. Good luck to you if you want to read how someone you have a one way conversation with gets on in training. Just not for me.

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.