The Long Green Tape Measure......

A weight-loss sub-thread of The Long Green Ribbon Thread.

21 to 40 of 12,355 messages
19/04/2009 at 22:56
Vixx76 wrote (see)

Mick - 13st 6lb is certainly do-able, even with your injury, but at the moment you should be focussing on healing first - plenty of calcium for you.

I heard a rumour that calcium is found in Cheescake.
19/04/2009 at 23:14

evening all

im about 12.5 stone at the moment and want to get down to 11.5, that puts me nicely into the 'normal' weight category and has me  at the ideal thing that martin mentioned, but not the 10% thing as thats bloody crazy !!

i was half a stone lighter in nov/dec but i put nearly a stone on when i was injured in jan/feb/mar, so far ive lost around half of that but working on the rest. weird thing is that im actually running faster now than i was when i was lighter but i felt much fitter and faster when i was lighter, i think if i can combine being lighter with my new speed then that'll work for me

19/04/2009 at 23:26
Just weighed myself for the first time in yonks and am happy to say things are not quite as bad as I had feared.  Still not good though!  Losing 1.5 stone would be a much more sensible/realistic goal that I would feel comfortable with - just as soon as I've finished eating this chocolate mini roll  
20/04/2009 at 01:57

Hey, can I join too? I remember about 18 months ago being on this forum worrying that i had reached 9 stone....since then i have moved to oz, got out of my routine and now sit at 10 stone 1!!! I would of course love to be 9 stone now!

so my first target is to get into the 9s (should be done by next week)....then i want to be 9 st 4lbs in july when i come back to the UK as this is the weight i left the UK at, then down to 9 by september when i run my 3rd half marathon - i really don't want to race at this weight, knowing i'll be automatically slower than i used to be!

My best running weight has been 8 stone 10lbs so this is my ultimate goal....

I'm the opposit to most people, i'm super good at weekends and then it all goes wrong at work, i get bored or stressed and snack on chocolate and biscuits, need to stop!

20/04/2009 at 08:39

Hi all- Calorie burn based on Garmin data with my details programmed in.

First 2 lbs "fell off" as soon as I stopped chocolate and other snacky stuff. Also just cranking up running mileage again after 3 light weeks due to injury, hols and illness, so that always helps as long as I don't start eating to match it.

As I said I'm hoping the "top half" will go fairly easily but am resigned to some hard work for the residual bottom half!

Mind you if I spent less time foruming I might have a less sedentary lifestyle!

Good Luck all

BTW Mick Stringy, there's lots of calcium in brocoli too!

oii
20/04/2009 at 09:28
i get most of my calcium from peanut m&m's (greater levels in family size bags).
20/04/2009 at 09:49

Hi all. Great idea Vixx.

I want to lose 2 stone before GNR. I hav done a crash diet for a week to give me a kick start and lost 7bs all in last week.

My best running weight was 11.5 stone when I did FLM in 2003 which I got to from 13st 11lbs by following a low fat diet and taking up running a couple of years before that. I became obssessional about losing weight and went down as far as 10 stone 11 lbs at which point I was told that I looked awful/ gaunt. I hovered between 11.5-12 st for a couple of years but then started a new job with long hours and my running and weight suffered so I have ended up back where I started pretty much.

My problem with eating is that I eat next to nothing between waking up and getting home from work and then stuff my face to oblivion with crap when I get home.

Edited: 20/04/2009 at 12:22
20/04/2009 at 20:43

Thanks Vixx - it was RLTW who started the Long Green Ribbon thread, peeps often get us mixed up

Blith - how do you go so long without food?  I have to have something first thing, then elevenses, then lunch, possibly a snack around 4.00 then dinner .

I didn't have enough to eat before my LSR today (14.26 miles).  I did have a gel, but could have done with eating more earlier.  It was hot, and I also got dehydrated as I forgot my money to buy a bottle of water en route.  Only had a small bottle which I soon used up, then had to beg nice lady at sandwich shop to fill it up.  Had to stop again at Tescos where I dashed up the travelator to the ladies so I could fill up bottle again.   Not very good planning for an LSR .  Will be more careful next time!

20/04/2009 at 20:47

RtG - that eating pattern is about right for timing - it just depends WHAT you eat at those times

Stringy - I'll barter you.  You can have some cheesecake if you eat your broccoli and drink some skim milk.....

Welcome newbies - weigh in is Friday

BBS - I know what you mean, sometimes my eating pattern is like that, but more often than not I eat a little less than I should.  I do have low stomach acid though so am working on that too so my digestion will improve.

mr sj - I think your weight target is do-able.  You have come so far, and I think you can get that last bit off no probs, and then I can watch you PB at GNR.....

Hi Foxy

20/04/2009 at 20:59

I posted earlier and it's disappeared.

Wot I said was to Blith

It is said one should "Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Lord and dine like a pauper".  Nowhere does it say starve yourself and go home and eat loads of crap.

Trick is not to have crap in the cupboards at home. Simple- if it's there I eat it, so I just don't have any crap in the house. If you live with others, tough, they need to be supportive of you, it's better for them too!

Mr sj- interesting. At RHM this year I weighed about 9 lbs more than last year but still knocked 14 mins of my time. Either there's a lot of newly developed muscle somewhere, or a year's hard training is paying off, so imagine what some weight loss could do to that time.

B4$tard- Mr FL is making me watch Nigella    aarrghhh

Bon soir and happy dieting all!

20/04/2009 at 22:29
Raring to go wrote (see)
Blith - how do you go so long without food?  I have to have something first thing, then elevenses, then lunch, possibly a snack around 4.00 then dinner .

Errr, I just never even really thought about or considered eating until lunchtime. I would just always go for the extra time in bed in the morning (rather than get up for breakfast) so time in the morning and then at lunchtime I am often so busy with work that I end up not grabbing anything much for lunch or just grabbing a sarnie from Boots or Sainsburys and then I get home and (no shit Sherlock) I'm starving so stick bread in toaster and get the peanut butter/jam/ both out to keep me going. Then it's kids' bath and to bed etc... so at about 9 we sit down to eat a proper meal.
and then often I'd have a pound of chocolate after my tea. Maybe that's why I am not hungry next morning, because I eat so much the night before so it keeps me going? 

Vixx76 wrote (see)
Welcome newbies - weigh in is Friday

Gulp!

Vixx76 wrote (see)

BBS - I know what you mean, sometimes my eating pattern is like that, but more often than not I eat a little less than I should.  I do have low stomach acid though so am working on that too so my digestion will improve.

How do you know you have low stomach acid Vixx?

Foxy Lady wrote (see)
Wot I said was to Blith

It is said one should "Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Lord and dine like a pauper".  Nowhere does it say starve yourself and go home and eat loads of crap.

Trick is not to have crap in the cupboards at home. Simple- if it's there I eat it, so I just don't have any crap in the house. If you live with others, tough, they need to be supportive of you, it's better for them too!

I know FL. I am not advocating it as a lifestyle, just saying it is the food pattern I have had recently. Not any more as of last week! Am now having breakfast, no chocolate, low fat meals (after crash diet last week to get me moving).

I agree it's about not having it in the cupboards and OH is helping me on that one for now at least.

20/04/2009 at 22:34

Did the Bicarb test BBS - that's how I know. My nutritional therapy tutor suspected it because protein for breakfast made me feel like crap, and most people have their slump when they eat carbs.....

Am taking a probiotic supplement, which is much stronger than the probiotic drinks in the supermarket, and hopefully my stomach acid will start to improve.

Low stomach acid is what can happen to you if you spend years yo-yo dieting like I did.....

20/04/2009 at 23:03
Mmm - will have to look into that. How are you doing?
20/04/2009 at 23:09
I tend to judge my weight by the size of my love handles.  In May 08 I returned from 4 months working overseas and on my return I decided to stop eating chocolate,crisps, biscuits and cakes and within a month of so my love handles started to shrink and added with an increase in running my weight started reduce.  I'm proud to sday I haven;t bought a choc bar since and I can honestly say I don't miss them.
I used to love Snickers and Mars Bars but I can't think of anything worse.

To start with if I fancied some chocolate or crisps i'd have a chewing gum, 'cos there's nothing worse than the taste of mint and crisps. 
20/04/2009 at 23:14

I used to eat salted popcorn with maltesers when I used to work at the cinema......

heh heh

I am good thanks BBS. You?

20/04/2009 at 23:20
ive decided starting today to cut out all chocolate, biscuits and crisps, so far so good and ive made it through 1 day . now ive gone mad and entered a marathon im determined to eat well and get super fit and smash all my PB's this year and run better than ever, 11.5 stone here i come !
20/04/2009 at 23:24

You'll be fine mr sj

I blasted thru 2 miles in 20:05 tonight - first mile in 10:06, second in 9:59.  They are the fastest miles I have ever run out on the road, without running down a 10% gradient and I am at my heaviest ever at the moment.

It just makes me wonder how fast I'll be when I am two stone lighter.....

20/04/2009 at 23:44

Fine Vixx. Full of busy and should be in bed but surfing instead, you know.

Hey Stringy, hey Mr SJ.

Know what you mean about love handles Stringy, though i would have to call mine love bumpers at the moment, they have grown so much

20/04/2009 at 23:48
Hi BBS.

Love bumpers
Give it a few weeks and i'll rename mine grab handles.
21/04/2009 at 07:53
well done on the speedy miles vixx !! excellent running
21 to 40 of 12,355 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.