The Long Green Tape Measure......

A weight-loss sub-thread of The Long Green Ribbon Thread.

11,481 to 11,500 of 12,355 messages
03/11/2012 at 10:12

RLTW - how did it go ast Parkrun?

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Off to hockey in a bit.

03/11/2012 at 17:01

Hi DD - The 30 min pacer left me for dead  but the ground is getting softer and more slippery every week so I'm not really surprised. Just like some race horses 'soft' is not my thing.    Got a couple of 10Ks before the end of the year so I coudl still crack another pb.

oh,and I got a bottle of posh sparkling wine for being top of the ladies points table

04/11/2012 at 14:05

Hi folks, mind if I join this thread? Been running for a while (did Great North Run in September) but haven't dropped much (if any) weight so going to make a few tweaks to my diet as well (nothing too drastic). Will weigh in once a week and do my waist measurement as well, going to post them on here to help keep me accountable!

Also going to do ParkRun next week for first time.

04/11/2012 at 15:12

Welcome MTViking .   Parkrun is quite addictive.  I nevre thought I would be willingly getting up at 7.30am on a Saturday!

04/11/2012 at 15:35

Welcome MTViking! Glad you have joined us!

I'd do waist, hip, thigh and upper arm measurements to be honest, as you might not lose it from the waist initially. At least if you have weeks where the scales aren't moving, you might see losses as you tone up.

How was the hockey DD?

Hi RLTW - well done on your award

How is everyone's Sunday?

04/11/2012 at 16:27

Ok folks, here is my moment of truth!

Weight

14 stone 3.8lbs

BMI 28.3 - Well into the overweight range, so I guess I really could do with shifting some weight for my health as well as to run quicker.

Waist 106cm (horrible)

Thighs 63/64cm (again not great, I got a bit of chafing on warmer days last summer, maybe I can avoid this if I lose a bit)

Hip 101cm

Arm 32cm (ish, not easy to measure tbh).

If the BMI is to be believed I could do with shifting a couple of stone, but I will focusing on getting under 14 first of all.

04/11/2012 at 16:32

That's good to set a small target in the run up to the bigger picture MTViking. Aim for that 4lb to take you under 14st first, and then see where you want to go from there.

I am currently about 5lb heavier than you.....

04/11/2012 at 17:04

Cheers Vixx.

Bit of a question for those who have lost significant weight, how much difference has it made to your running performance?

04/11/2012 at 22:23

It has improved it

But I am 'assisted' these days so I can't actually tell how much just weight loss has helped.

There's a link on page 1 I think (it's been a long time) that should tell you how much time each pound lost will give you per mile.

05/11/2012 at 06:14

Morning from a cold and frosty West of Scotland

MTVViking: Welcome.

05/11/2012 at 07:59

Morning everyone

RLTW - well done on your prize.

Welcome MTViking. 

DD - how did the hocky go?

Vixx - how was your weekend?

Morning Birkmyre, hope it's not too cold up there.

I did the parkrun on Saturday and struggled a bit more than expected, but lots of positives for me in the way I felt with the run and my knee being fairly OK.

Still not shifted any weight, but I am feeling fitter and I am starting to notice a bit of a change for the better when I look in the mirror.

How about a word of the day? We haven't had one for a while and I think I need to get a bit more fluids inside me.

Edited: 05/11/2012 at 08:00
05/11/2012 at 09:38

Sounds good to me lfc.

What shall we have?

Morning birkmyre

05/11/2012 at 10:21

The word I'm hearing a bit of today is COLD so I'll go for that as I'm sure to have pleanty to drink then.

05/11/2012 at 11:47

Morning all. 

Welcome MTViking.  The combination of starting from run/walk mode, losing weight meant that the improvement was steep in the beginning.  My weight has been flucuating a bit over the last six months and I have put about half a stone back on.  I can really notice it in my running times although because I run more regularly and have built up strenght and stamina they are not down to where they were when I was the same weight at the beginning of my running (if you know what i mean)

I had to defrost my car this morning. Can't find my gloves so my hands were really COLD until the heating in the car kicked in.

We won our hockey match and are top of the league so that is good news.

RLTW - you could do with finding a nice, flat, less muddy 5k to attempt the 30 min barrier. 

LFC - I need to make an effort to do a parkrun before Christmas.

05/11/2012 at 13:27

DD - Well done on the league position. Come on down to the park run, it would be nice to see you.

It was COLD this morning riding in on the bike. I really must get some warmer cycling gear.

05/11/2012 at 16:29

afternoon all

welcome to mtviking.  Can honestly say my running is starting to improve  now that half a stone has come off. It just feels easier plus I think that when you train withthe extra weight it maybe makes you a bit tougher somehow and when that weights off it just feels so much easier!

well done rltw on the bottle of bubbly - how nice!

cold, oh yes, well this cold is making me feel like doing not much at all tonight!

Guys I may get a club place for vlm.... oooohhhh!!!

05/11/2012 at 16:43

Wabo - that might be me chasing you down the Mall then....

COLD is a good word to use for today, although over here in Manchester it has not been that COLD. I've walked a few miles and now I need to do some online Christmas shopping :S

05/11/2012 at 19:24

Thanks for the welcme folks, much appreciated.

DD and Wabo, that sounds encouraging and is good motivation for me to drop a bit of the excess weight. Thanks. I guess I could look at it as like running with hand weights/ankle weights that I will be leaving behind before long!

Just back from a 5.3 mile run at average 9.19. I know that I would have been a good 20 or 30 seconds a mile quicker before my injury but at least I am back out there running.

Oh, and an addition to my stats earlier in the thread, according to one of those Tanita Scales my bodyfat is 25.7%. Not entirely sure what it ought to be, but I am guessing a fair chunk less anyway!

05/11/2012 at 20:43

mtviking nice pace on your run!

vixx, how funny would it be eh? 

05/11/2012 at 21:00

Well, it won't be me ahead of you Wabo!

MTViking - are those the tanita scales you stand on, or the hand-held ones?

11,481 to 11,500 of 12,355 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.