The Long Green Tape Measure......

A weight-loss sub-thread of The Long Green Ribbon Thread.

11,541 to 11,560 of 12,362 messages
11/11/2012 at 19:22

A lot of people do think like that - especially when they start running. When they start to do races more often though, I find that they tend to start calorie-watching then as they don't want to undo the effort that they have put into their training.

A lot of my friends who started running have also cut down on the booze coz they don't want to miss a PB.

11/11/2012 at 19:27

Because I am unlikely to do long races too regularly (have got my eye on another crack at the Great North Run and aim to beat my time from this year), it is quite easy to take my eye of the ball. Perhaps if I do Park Run every 2 or 3 weeks I will motivate myself better now that I have a benchmark time to aim at.

11/11/2012 at 19:35

Maybe set some small goals for the time being to see what you want to aim for and then work out how you want to achieve the goals. 

If you have something to be aiming for you might find that you want to lose weight or eat healthier because there will be something riding on it.

11/11/2012 at 19:43

I think that is true. When I had the Great North Run looming on the horizon I was much more consistent with my training and cutting back the booze. Will have a good think about where I want to be aiming.

11/11/2012 at 19:49

Even if it is only a small goal for now - maybe enter a Turkey Trot or a Santa Race - they will be before Christmas, so you have something to help before Christmas.

11/11/2012 at 20:10

Will have a look at what is upcoming, thanks.

12/11/2012 at 10:40

Morning everyone

How was your weekend?

12/11/2012 at 13:40

morning all

lfc, knackering quite frankly! ha ha

'I think it should always be about how YOU feel yourself, rather than how others may see you. If you feel you want to lose weight, then you can do it'

vixx, spot on! Love that.

welcome to holeymoley! I am doing weightwatchers, I had a stone, just over to lose, now about 6-7 lbs, depending on what damage my heavy weekend caused! I also run 4 times ish a week. That was a great first Park run time btw! At my club the beginners sort of get in around 34 and upwards mins, so well done. 

And mtw, thud! That is a flipping good parkrun time! My best ever 5k was 23.56, some time back mind you...

Had two good runs this weekend, race sat 49.52 for 5.34 miles mucky xctry and a nice social remembrance day plod yesterday morning, with hangover...

12/11/2012 at 14:09

Wabo - was the hangover optional?

12/11/2012 at 15:58

What was I spot on about?

Hi lfc!

If anyone should have any time tomorrow, just keep your fingers crossed for me that I'll get what I want when I see the surgeon for my consultation tomorrow....

12/11/2012 at 19:50

Hi folks, just got back from my physio appointment and have got the all clear to start playing football again as long as I tread carefully (easier said than done to be honest!) which is great. Ran the 6 miles home as my Monday run and am now extra knackered as I had spent the previous 30 minutes largely running on a treadmill and different speeds, and hopping on and off a step!

Cheers Wabo, was quite happy with that time, had 25 minutes as my mental target going into it. Will do it again in 2 or 3 weeks and see if I can knock a few seconds off it. And well done on running with a hangover, it is very easy not to bother!

Vixx, good luck tomorrow! Hope everything goes well.

12/11/2012 at 20:46

Thanks MTViking! Congrats on being able to play football again!

13/11/2012 at 07:27

Morning everyone

Vixx - Fingers and everything crossed that all goes well with the surgeon.

MTV - Nice one with the physio. 

13/11/2012 at 07:39

Thanks lfc - am heading off in a bit....

13/11/2012 at 11:44

Morning all.

Good luck Vixx - hoping everything goes ok.

MTV - good luck with the footie.  I play hockey at the weekends as well as running.

Welcome holymoley.

My nearest parkrun is Liverpool which is about a hlaf hour drive.  However I have heard rumours that they are trying to get one up and running in Delamere Forest which is about half the distance.  Hopefully I will be able to get there more often, I love parkruns.  My best time is just over 25 mins so my target is to get under that mark.

I am going to start weighing myself every Friday morning. 

Spinning class tonight.

13/11/2012 at 13:26

lfc ha ha definitely optional, not my best option but I survived!

vixx, hoping all is going well for you

mtv, good news re the physio

vixx, i quoted you and that was what I thought you were spot on about

see below

'I think it should always be about how YOU feel yourself, rather than how others may see you. If you feel you want to lose weight, then you can do it'

13/11/2012 at 14:40

I know what you mean now Wabo!

Things didn't go too well at the surgeon. I've just got in so will have a drink and then explain.

13/11/2012 at 16:44

OK, went to the surgeon this morning for my consultation.

I was weighed and came in slightly over the BMI limit, which concerned me enough to ask the nurse if it would be a problem, and she said that the doctor would discuss it with me.

The surgeon said it was an issue until I explained that I run marathons, and had tested my body fat and my BP was 110/60 with a resting BP of about 48, and she said that it was mainly the anaesthetist that would be twitchy about the weight thing.

She was nice and friendly, with people skills thankfully and she answered my questions, asking me what treatment I was on, and stuff like that.  She also said she wanted to know why someone my age was doing this. (Most people undergoing this are either late teens/early 20s, or they are 40+. At my age I am in the middle.

Then she checked me physically - but before she even got hands-on she said that my body shape hadn't changed enough to make surgery at this point successful.  She said that if I had it now, I'd possibly need corrections, and that every surgery after the first is just chasing things.

She's going to see me in 6 months, and wants me to get my hormone therapy changed asap to another sort that should be stronger and help my body make changes quicker. I've asked to have the surgery 12 months from now in order to be able to ensure a more successful outcome to the job.

I think that gives me something to work at, but I am disappointed as I think this situation could have been avoided if the people responsible for my hormone care had kept regular tabs on it as last month we found it had dropped to well below the acceptable level - and that was only because I had raised concerns that things that had been happening were suddenly reversing themselves.

Am just quite sad at the moment.

13/11/2012 at 20:23

Evening

Right catch up time again.

14/11/2012 at 06:15

Morning

4.5M through smiry rain

11,541 to 11,560 of 12,362 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.