The Long Green Tape Measure......

A weight-loss sub-thread of The Long Green Ribbon Thread.

11,741 to 11,760 of 12,362 messages
14/01/2013 at 17:16

Thanks lfc and MTViking.

Body fat needs to carry on going down even if the weight doesn't.

MTViking - I wish I could run 5km that quick!

14/01/2013 at 17:42

I don't run marathons though, Vixx!

14/01/2013 at 18:12

Fair enough! I'm built for distance

15/01/2013 at 06:15

Morning

4m Steady on a cold and frosty morning. Brrr. Okay run. Much better than in wind and rain.

Hope you're all good.

15/01/2013 at 14:08

Good running Birkmyre.  Gym for me this morning 15 on the treadmill and 15 on the cross trainer. Breaking myself in gently after my illness.

16/01/2013 at 17:40

Just done my weigh in.

Now 14 stone 5lb (down 5lb) and 107cm waist (down 3cm) since the start of the New Year. Very happy with that, though still a lot of work to do.

17/01/2013 at 00:06

Well Done MTViking  Fantastic What's the overall aim, and what's the next short term goal?

DD - hope you are feeling much better now

Birkmyre - nice running? You not got snow?

17/01/2013 at 08:27

Good question Vixx. Next short term goal is definitely under 14 stone.

Overall aim I am not certain, according to the BMI scale I should be 12 and a half stone or slightly less (there seems to be a big range of healthy weights according to it) but I am well outside it at present!

17/01/2013 at 10:07

To be honest MTViking, I don't regard the BMI scale as important because it doesn't take muscle into account.  Don't suppose you saw Embarrassing Fat Bodies the other day?

Dr Christian went to Birmingham Uni for some tests to look at body fat, and he came in at 7% body fat (the guy is ripped), but his BMI came in at 26 (Overweight).

17/01/2013 at 12:48

I did see it Vix. Fair point about the BMI, mine is about 28/29 but unlike Dr Christian I have plenty of fat on me! My bodyfat comes out as 25/26% on Tanita scales and I would like to try and get it below 20%. Not sure what weight that will make me.

17/01/2013 at 22:30

Tanita scales can be as much as 8% out (too high), and you could get your body fat down to 20% and still be the same weight you are now.

If you look at the stats I posted the other day you'll see I am heavier now than I was when the first test was done last year, but my body fat is lower. My hydrated body (amount of fluid, not just water) is also better, and water weighs too so the way I look at it is what is the fat, muscle and hydration like because if the muscle and fluid is good, then it doesn't matter so much about the weight.

I think of fat as being like a lazy oik having a piggyback - every moment of every day. It does nothing to contribute to the journey, whereas the muscle will be helping you every step of the way.

Of course, weight loss is always advanatgeous, especially if you want to run faster, but whilst you are doing that, sometimes looking at the other stuff helps if you are not losing weight - you may be losing fat and gaining muscle.

18/01/2013 at 06:24

Morning

4.5M Steadily done. No real bounce in my legs, felt kinda heavy. Cold, but dry out. No snow yet,

Need to catch up

Hope you're all good.

18/01/2013 at 08:36

Morning birkmyre - I'm going for a pootle in the snow

18/01/2013 at 10:33

Morning all - snowy here

Looks set in for the day - I am not venturing out of the front door.  I have a spinning class booked for tonight but the instructor lives in Wales so expecting it to be cancelled.

I am much better now thanks Vixx.

18/01/2013 at 10:35

Good to hear DD.

I've been for a run in the snow

22/01/2013 at 07:32

Morning everyone

Very cold and icey here this morning.

How's everyone's running going?

How has your eating changed with the cold weather and do you find you snack more?

I'm trying to control my eating but I find myself reaching for snacks more than usual at the moment. I have to keep thinking to myself 'do you really want that?'

22/01/2013 at 11:43

I find that drinking is my issue in this weather. I have been out for runs and walks and not felt the need to drink at all, but am clearly dehydrating myself because later I am parched!

I'm living with 2 people here who are trying the '5 and 2' plan. Am not in agreement particularly, but it is their choice. It's 5 days of the week eating normally, but not excessively, and 2 days fasting with approximately 500 calories intake.  I do think fasting is a good thing at times, but easing into regular fasting would be a better way I think than just shocking the body.

How are you doing exercise wise lfc - are yyou still able to get out on the bike?

22/01/2013 at 12:08

Hi Vixx

I've had to leave the bike for the last few days, too dangerous and OH prefers me to have the car in the snow and ice in case the kids need picking up and she's not confident driving in these conditions.

I'm not doing much exercise at the moment as I can't get out running. I'm trying to do stuff at home, but kids and life in general are getting in the way. I need to try harder though as I'm sure I could do more exercise if I put my mind to it and not let excuses get in the way.

Have you been able to get out much?

22/01/2013 at 12:20

Have been out Fri-Mon (having a rest day today) and on Friday did three stints out there in the snow at home, and again Sat. Sun and Mon have walked at least 6 miles each day, but no snow here in Salford.

I can understand the OH's concern about driving in snow - I don't mind driving in it but it is the other buggers that make me nervous. If I'm doing the speed limit and someone drives up my arse then I'm concerned about how they plan to stop if I need to.

22/01/2013 at 14:49

It's a Catch 22 with her, she needs the experience to dive in the snow but she won't drive in the snow without experience. 

11,741 to 11,760 of 12,362 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.