The Radcliffe, Tergat, Coe interviews

Where you asked the questions...

10 messages
11/04/2003 at 19:29
... at least, some of them!

Here's the link

Well done to V'rap, who clearly managed to get the favour of Paul Dickenson, the host...

Have a great weekend

Sean
11/04/2003 at 19:37
OMG - Paula got asked my question! I wish I'd gone and watched it now.

Squeeeeaaaallll!
11/04/2003 at 20:00
AAAAAAAAAAAAA RUNNER'S WORLD EDITED MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!

I originally asked my question on the BBC to Radcliffe, but the damn friggers edited the question and it was taken out of context so I didn't get a response to the 'actual' question I asked!

AND..... RW DID THE SAME!!!!!!!

my original question to Paula on both sources was

"There is obviously a great deal of controversy over the decision to allow male pacers in the womens' race. Do you feel that you may be somewhat 'cheating' by using male pacers, and also do you think that top-end male athletes such as Khalid Khannouchi (unfortunately not doing London) and Paul Tergat should be allowed motorcycle pacers, or a suitable equivalent? It could be said that the use of pacers in a race may be the equivalent of electronic control systems in Formula 1 cars - taking an element of skill and unpredictablility from the race."

However....

The BBC - "Do you think that top-end male athletes such as Khalid Khannouchi and Paul Tergat should be allowed motorcycle pacers, or a suitable equivalent? It could be said that it takes an element of skill and unpredictability from the race."

RW - "Is the pacemaking an important part of your strategy?"

AAAAAAA, not happy!!!!!!!!

Jonny
11/04/2003 at 21:07
Do oyu have a link to the Beeb Q&A session RR?

Can't say I blame you for not being happy, it does rather change the meaning! Then again I'm not that surprised. I suspect though that Paula would say that she doesn't consider it cheating - she's done a lot of stuff that for my money shows she has integrity, and on that basis, whatever anyone here (myself NOT included) may think about the "pacers" being cheating, I somehow doubt that she does, otherwise she wouldn't use them.
11/04/2003 at 21:37
mmm, well even not as directly as saying the word cheating, it would have been sufficient to make the comparison with F1 cars using electronic systems - it could be said that pacers take some of the skill out of the race, HOWEVER, heres that Beeb link:

Ask Paula on BBC Sport

Jonny
11/04/2003 at 21:38
Thanks Jonny :-)
11/04/2003 at 22:29
Thanks, Sean. I am extremely pleased, in a star-struck sort of way, to have had so many of my questions answered.
11/04/2003 at 22:42
And so am I Vrap, as you can probably see by my name!

They were good questions though Vrap :-)
12/04/2003 at 10:33
Thanks, Sean.
12/04/2003 at 10:34
Most of the questions and all of the answers were quite predictable.
JJ

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.