The RW Top 50 races of 2007...

Something odd going on...

6 messages
07/01/2008 at 11:58
First up...well done to RW for dropping the 'editor's choice' of top 100 races in RW mag - it has been out of contact with the views of the runners for years, and had the FLM at number 1 year after year, when there is so much more to running in the UK than one race.

The RW top 50 races of 2007 - published in the February 2007 issue of RW, but certainly compiled by the start of December - is a listing of the 'top' 50 races in the UK as voted for by the users of RW's rating system. This year a race has to have received at least 50 votes to be included in the list (compared to 15 votes the year before).

One of the races I organise - the Midsummer Munro - is at number 5. Thanks everyone!

However, there are some odd things going on in the rest of the list. The Loch Ness Marathon receive 50 votes (rated 97% overall, with 95% prepared to do it again), but was not included (in the top 50). Likewise, another one of my races, the Knacker Cracker, received 53 votes (98% and 99%) and wasn't included.

The 50 vote rule is fair enough - but it's a bit tough on some other races: Dartmoor (100%, 100%), the Wibbly Wobbly Job (100%, 100%), the Grizzly (98%, 95%) and (yet another one of my races) the Picnic (99% and 97%).

I hope that when the on-line versions of the 'Readers' Races of the Year 2007' come out, that some of these oddities are corrected: It's nice to be recognised for having made some effort!
07/01/2008 at 12:05
Oops - correction. The Knacker Cracker received 39 votes last year (96%, 99%), so take it from the 'oddities' section, and put it in the 'bit tough on some other races' section!
07/01/2008 at 12:41

i have always thought that the knacker cracker derserves recognition for it's name alone.  although wibbly wobbly job comes  a close second...

i always like local club races.  they always give a good old cheer to the slowies like me at the back.

07/01/2008 at 14:07
The ladies have complained about the name (having no knackers of their own): they would like it to be renamed the 'knicker knacker.'
07/01/2008 at 14:38
Knicker Knacker Cracker? Boys don't really wear knickers, do they?
07/01/2008 at 16:33
Maybe 'knicker knacker/knacker cracker' would be more descriptive, although more of a mouthful.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.