The Stillman Formula for optimal running weight

21 to 40 of 161 messages
IronCat5    pirate
12/09/2012 at 18:06

Currently Mid Dist. Do I need to eat more for a faster 5km?

12/09/2012 at 18:18

On another note - has anyone found scientific proof that this method is an acceptable and agreed method of competing?

12/09/2012 at 18:20
I took up running because I don't have the coordination for most sports, then this comes along and tells me to take up hurdling.
kittenkat    pirate
12/09/2012 at 18:23

Very underweight men have no sexual appeal, just saying...

12/09/2012 at 18:42
kittenkat wrote (see)

ditto, the same I think applies to very underweight women.

I'm terribly overweight btw - I need to loose 12lbs. The answer to that is 'not in a million years' - well, when I'm dead and just bones maybe.

12/09/2012 at 18:47

Well I'm pretty light at just 9 stone. But then again I'm only 5 ft 5".

12/09/2012 at 19:27

My long distance weight came out at 9st 12lb, I haven't weighed that little since I was 8 years old.

12/09/2012 at 19:58
My parents were 'worried' about me when I was 9 1/2 stone (I'm 5ft 8), so I cannot imagine how they'd feel if I was the long distance runner weight!
12/09/2012 at 20:38

I was 10st 4, and I decided to take running as my main hobby. Also not been here because my email got hacked and I forgot, then found it during a search.

I don't think being underweight is bad, but I find I can keep a faster pace for longer and not prone to injury, especially the joints. I won't go below my current weight, maybe increase it a little over winter, doing loads of conditioning drills then strip back again for next year, having just lean muscle and a very low fat %.

Also go to the  gym more in winter, but will keep my miles up. 

Kryten    pirate
12/09/2012 at 20:55

Holy Shit.

Three years ago he was on here boasting about being 6ft 3 and 10 stone 4 lbs, now he's 8 stone 4 llbs. One thing is certain, he wont be back in another three years telling us he's now 6 stone 4 lbs; either he will have sorted himself out or he'll be dead.

Killermiles - seriously dude, what you are doing is sad and pathetic. It's just a protracted suicide. You need to take a long look in the mirror, metaphorically and literally. You're an adult. Isn't it time that you grew a pair of balls and faced up to your problems, whatever they are? If like many of us at some time in our lives, you don't know how, or aren't able to deal with your problems yourself, then the smart, courageous, adult thing to do is to ask for help. Not from strangers on the internet but from a professional such as your doctor.

12/09/2012 at 21:18
T.mouse wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

ditto, the same I think applies to very underweight women.

I'm terribly overweight btw - I need to loose 12lbs. The answer to that is 'not in a million years' - well, when I'm dead and just bones maybe.

My wife has a similar opinion. At 5'10" and just over 10 stone,  I'm a long distance runner who is not getting any

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 21:21
12/09/2012 at 21:35

Who said I was interested in a woman? 

I'm happy how I am and contrary to the latter, never get colds and flu, days off work, depression, or anything like that. People do say I don't stop moving, and am much fitter than 90% of the uk Populice. (seen a fat man, so large walking through town, he was sweating just doing a limp-walk). No way, I would every get to that stage. Apart from me being rake thin, I don't feel any ills, and have my top off most warm days and running.

12/09/2012 at 21:43

I think these suggested weights are ridiculous.  I am a long distance runner, albeit not an elite by any stretch of the imagination.  The calculator reckons I should be 8 stone 2.8 lbs at my height.  I am 5'7", weigh 9 stone 5 and would look ill if I went below 9 stone.

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 21:45
12/09/2012 at 22:43
Killermiles - try not to consider extremes all the time. There is a wide spectrum between stick thin, and obese.

I really think you need to accept that you screwed up with your understanding of the Stillman formula. You were 10st4 and took 20 % off. That has got nothing to do with Stillman. If you believe in this formula, then its time to get some weight back on
13/09/2012 at 10:08

Since you (killermiles) proudly run with no shirt, I think you should post a picture of your torso on here (i'm not gay! lol), I for one, am really curious what an 8st 4lb 6' 3" male looks like?!?!?

It will also dispell those who think you're a troll, and if indeed you look healthy, those who think your weight is too low. 

13/09/2012 at 11:49

At 5' 11" and 10st 2lb I don't think I have too much to worry about weight wise. But this formula says I can lose more? It has got to be wrong. But; I know this is about cycling but read this if you want to lose weight! http://www.velonation.com/Blogs/Ben-Greenwood/ID/181/Food-Glorious-Food.aspx This profesional cyclist is the same height as me but would make me look fat! btw Also-ran: my wife says I am too thin and I am not getting any either! Is there a pattern forming here?

13/09/2012 at 12:04
SideBurn wrote (see)

Is there a pattern forming here?

i think so.

i'm about 8st heavier than killermiles and I am getting plenty thanks.

(not from your wife I hasten to add)

i am rubbish at running though.

kittenkat    pirate
13/09/2012 at 12:15

I just Googled 6ft4 8stone male and depressingly got a blog post from a guy sadly dying of HIV and a link to a NHS video about anorexia.

13/09/2012 at 12:31
Emmy_bug wrote (see)

On another note - has anyone found scientific proof that this method is an acceptable and agreed method of competing?

Nope. I've looked and can find no evidence to support the claims that Stillman makes, nor any rationale for his formula. 

I've had a patient who was a similar stature to the OP. He too was HIV positive and terminally ill

There's really no two ways about it - having such low body mass is unhealthy. You may feel well, be able to function, but your body is under physiological stress and even minor illness can become serious. 

13/09/2012 at 13:04
kittenkat wrote (see)

I just Googled 6ft4 8stone male and depressingly got a blog post from a guy sadly dying of HIV and a link to a NHS video about anorexia.

I saw something similar on google when I googled about scientific proof for Stillman. I can understand that being 'lean' is good for being a runner but it needs to be healthy. In my opinion (for a lady): Chrissi Wellington or Jess Ennis are fantastic sizes and the right weight for their height/sport and look where they are in their sporting world!

@Killermiles - have you physically met anyone who agrees to Stillman's methods. What does your doctor/medical advisor say?

21 to 40 of 161 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.