Things you have seen in the gym which make you go 'Hmmmmmm' ...

181 to 191 of 191 messages
18/02/2013 at 08:18
DF3 - as someone who's never been overweight, no, I'm not sensitive to weight issues at all. The obese guy doing his walk might be, though, and it'd people like statt0 who keep such people away from the gym.
seren nos    pirate
18/02/2013 at 09:22

for those who say people can walk anywhere why waste a treadmill...............I really can't understand where they are coming from.............

you are a fit and healthy runner,.......you can definitely run anywhere............surely the gyms are more designed for those overweight....because if they find that they are struggling that day with their exercise they can stop and rest........if they feel ill or suffer from heart problems or fall ill then there are trained people on hand to help.........

its safer for them and the treadmill is easier on the joints than concrete or tarmac......

seren nos    pirate
18/02/2013 at 09:39

David....but if you are walking you can not just stop and sit down if you have a shortness of breath....there are not that many public benches around.............and if you fell a pain you can not just stop and then drive home from wherever you are.....and  if this is the first time you have exercised in a long time then its helpful to be able to have the motivation of staff to help you.....

and not to have to put up with yobs shouting abuse and taking the piss out of you........as a runner you can always run away from them as you know they couldn't last more than a few hundred yards and then they give up.......

18/02/2013 at 09:42

The thought of my gyms' staff giving CPR is enough to throw me into cardiac arrest

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 09:43
18/02/2013 at 09:43
I once saw an old work colleague in the gym changing room. As bold as brass he strutted over to me completely starkers, shook me by the hand and ask how I was doing.
Try as I might to keep eye contact I couldn't help noticing he had completely shaven his knob hair.

It didn't make me go 'Hmmmmmm'.
seren nos    pirate
18/02/2013 at 09:54

Thanks David.......I could have done with your help last year when i was training for the double ironman

18/02/2013 at 10:00
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Seren - If you like we can go on a few training runs together and I can get you up to a decent pace over a mile or two to help you out. A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. You can do it!

This bodes well for another good week of DF3 posts. I was fearing half term might mean we would have to amuse ourselves - thought David's parents might be taking him on holiday

kittenkat    pirate
18/02/2013 at 10:07
Also-ran wrote (see)

Seren - If you like we can go on a few training runs together and I can get you up to a decent pace over a mile or two to help you out. A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. You can do it!

This bodes well for another good week of DF3 posts. I was fearing half term might mean we would have to amuse ourselves - thought David's parents might be taking him on holiday

Ok, that was really funny!

18/02/2013 at 10:40

Back to the gym is for who or what argument. There is a lady who swims at the pool that i swim at. She is there every morning. She is morbidly obese. She walks up and down the pool. Just walks as she can't swim. I have no doubt that if she didn't do this everyday that she would be unable to walk by now.

Things that I have seen at the gym - group of young guys all posing and showing off to each other, couple of them tha macho type, one who is smaller and not quite so macho. They all settle down to do their reverse crunches and what a mess, except the small guy, now that is worth watching. Wonder if he'll take his shirt off like his friends.

18/02/2013 at 11:06
seren nos wrote (see)

Thanks David.......I could have done with your help last year when i was training for the double ironman

Ouch! Was that a little dig back Are you sure you're not confusing the term 'double ironman' with the term 'Going to Valerie Patesserie for a Black Forest cake'

;)

Teehee... She would eat him for breakfast and then spit the pip out

18/02/2013 at 14:53
Intermanaut wrote (see)
DF3 - as someone who's never been overweight, no, I'm not sensitive to weight issues at all. The obese guy doing his walk might be, though, and it'd people like statt0 who keep such people away from the gym.

How am I keeping him away? I didn't say a thing to him, and didn't give him any funny looks.

The thread title asks a question, and my initial reaction was going for a walk through the park would do this bloke just as much good and save himself £20 per month in the process.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
181 to 191 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.