Things you have seen in the gym which make you go 'Hmmmmmm' ...

121 to 140 of 185 messages
seren nos    pirate
07/02/2013 at 08:13

yes max...........but maybe you are right because i should state i hate swimming in a pool.........i love it outdoors.....I think its the boredom my mind can't get around....maybe hate is a strong word but i would happily never swimin a pool for the rest of my life........I hate it as much as i hate olives

07/02/2013 at 08:29

Yes pool swimming can be a bore. Once did 5k in the pool in about 1:4X and by the end I think my brain had turned to mush.

Not done triathlon for a couple of years but when I did I used to enjoy the speed sessions in the pool, it was just long slow swims and any drills that seemed to last forever.

07/02/2013 at 09:10
RicF wrote (see)

Well unless you're a cynic, the more you give the more you get back. If you are of a nature that grabs and hangs on to everything for oneself even in the face of others needs then good luck.

I observe such a type round my way. Living by his miserable self-ish.

I think you need to remember the point that this is a lighthearted, thread, Ric. By all means start another one for "Ric's moral lessons"

07/02/2013 at 09:21
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

oh - i saw a guy get spat off the back of a treadie today, i didnt laugh, honest, kudos to him though. he got back on for 3 minutes at a gentle jog  

Nearly did that this morning.  Finished my 5k run and then slowed down without slowing the treadmill down.  Not funny.

cougie    pirate
07/02/2013 at 09:39
I beg to differ....
07/02/2013 at 09:42
I think I would have found it amusing
07/02/2013 at 10:07
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

can you honestly say you only see fat people in saunas and that everyone in them is fat apart from you........or is it that you can'tbelieve that a fat person has a right to a sauna..

how do you know that they are there as an easy way to lose weight .is that the reason you are there or is it to relax......

I have a sauna as a reward and relaxation  for swimming over 2.5k in the pool which i hate.......so you are saying that unless i am skinny i should just go and hide myself away so as to not offend you.......

Youve got me all wrong, when Im talking about fat people in the sauna, Im talking about really fat people, not like you seren! Youre within the boundaries of acceptability for me.

So what exactly are the acceptable boundaries?  I'm interested.  I'm 5'9 ish.  

Before I started to lose weight I had balooned to 117.5kg and was taking 42 waist trousers and 50 chest jackets.  My 48" leather suit for my motorbike was disturbingly tight.

Then I modified my diet, cut out a whole load of calories, became more interested in my calorie intake and the calorie count on foods I was eating, and started making informed decisions about what I was eating.  I dropped to about 100kg fairly quickly, and maintained it for a while.  Then I went back up to 105kg, and realised that I would struggle to lose weight by dietary control alone.  So I joined a gym.  At that point I was still taking a 36 trouser and 46 jacket.  I am now down to 89kg as of this morning, with a 44 jacket (gut preventing going down a size) and a 32 touser.  

So, at what point should I have been allowed to join a gym?

07/02/2013 at 10:10
Youre within the boundaries of acceptability for me.

That's quite the way with words you've got there, David.

07/02/2013 at 10:35

MB'E - The simple answer is obviously that if you can fit through the front door, you're good to go to the gym.  Accept the fact that there may be the odd weight-nazi sharing gym space with you.  That's their problem, you get arseholes everywhere.  I topped out at 106kg but started going to the gym regularly and doing something about it while I was still over 100kg.  Got down to about 85kg through a six-month, 4x week gym habit (and healthy eating) before I started running. Now 70kg and running 33 minutes for 10k. 

You carry on what you're doing. 

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 10:36
Crash Hamster    pirate
07/02/2013 at 10:51

...everyone's got one and most of them stink, surely?

07/02/2013 at 10:54
PhilPub wrote (see)

Got down to about 85kg through a six-month, 4x week gym habit (and healthy eating) before I started running. Now 70kg and running 33 minutes for 10k. 

You carry on what you're doing. 

Can't do the 4 times a week at the gym, but am aiming to make it twice a week, injury permitting (still breaking in the left knee after an op, and seem to have permanently damageable achilles).  Add to that the turbo trainer every other day that I'm not at the gym - solid 30 minutes at 90-100 rpm, and I should manage to hit target.  I'm not convinced that I can hit 70kg - I have very broad shoulders, and a very large rib cage - classic rugby player physique, minus the height.

07/02/2013 at 11:01
And a prop forward attitude
07/02/2013 at 11:07

I genuinely don't know what you mean hunny.  Sure, I was a prop forward, and whenever we were losing one of our scrums, it always had a mysterious habit of wheeling with my side going forward much easier than the other side, but not entirely sure how that's relevant to my current attitude.  At least I'm not a hooker.  Although I'm not convinced of my success as one of them.  On either interpretation.

07/02/2013 at 11:12
He can't do 4 times a week at the gym cos we have to share gym/running time and childcare duties. However the turbo trainer does get a decent workout at least twice a week.

Anyway, back to the original topic - I once saw a guy get started off on the treadmill by an instructor at a certain level, instructor left him to it. He changed it to the easiest setting, and put it back up when there was 2 minutes left on the timer. What's the point?
07/02/2013 at 11:33

Re. people of any size in saunas: who actually LOOKS at other people in saunas?* Unless there's genuinely not enough space for you, I don't see what the problem is.

*NB. I've only been to naked German saunas, so maybe swimsuited sauna etiquette is different...

07/02/2013 at 12:07

Opinions are like a..eholes ...... everyones got one and everyone thinks theirs is better than the person next to them.

Everyone's got one and nobody wants to hear anyone elses.

07/02/2013 at 12:12
by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see)
Anyway, back to the original topic - I once saw a guy get started off on the treadmill by an instructor at a certain level, instructor left him to it. He changed it to the easiest setting, and put it back up when there was 2 minutes left on the timer. What's the point?

As my old math's teacher, Mr Riley, used to say, you're only cheating yourself.

07/02/2013 at 12:39
07/02/2013 at 12:54
You're all a bunch of opinions to me ;0/
07/02/2013 at 13:19

Keep at it DF3, I am currently wiping a mouthful of tea off my monitor after the 'weight roster' suggestion for the Sauna. You've been on RW for a while now, and people keep biting. Genius.

121 to 140 of 185 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.