Things you have seen in the gym which make you go 'Hmmmmmm' ...

1 to 20 of 191 messages
cougie    pirate
04/02/2013 at 13:59
We have people working out in gas masks.

A gimpy harness that people don and then I think they pretend to be a dog going for walkies whilst their "owner" holds them back.

People on bikes pedalling about 30rpm whilst wrapped up warmly in their best velour jacket so the aircon doesn't chill them. Oh they're doing Facebook updates at the same time.

People on the stepper slumped onto the hand rails.

One person was even supporting himself on the rails whilst running. No impact !

I could go on....
04/02/2013 at 14:00

I saw a woman in the gym on a reclined bike, she was really going at it and all the ham in her sandwich was hanging out

04/02/2013 at 14:03
How about guys who think they are Charles Atlas by piling on huge weights and then swinging down on them like orang-utans. "Never mind if I'm training properly, look at how many kilos I can move!"
04/02/2013 at 14:04

Girl at the gym who brings a latte in with her, and doesn't put it down, even while doing crunches on a Swiss ball.  I've even see her holding it for her entire 5 min X-trainer session.

Bloke who spends 45 minutes on the X-trainer, sweating like a pedo at a swimming gala, but who then dresses for work without showering first.

Anyone who drops weights, rather than placing them down quietly.

People who use the assistance platform on dips/pull-ups.

The morbildy obese bloke who has a personal trainer but doesn't do any cardio at all. Not sure what he's trying to achieve, but dumb-bell curling 5kg for 3x20 isn't going to do much.

Girl with an awesome rack and superb figure.  She works hard at the gym, and makes it worth getting up to go there in the mornings.

Then again, all those people are in there for at least one of the two reasons people go to the gym, just like me, so fair play to them all.

04/02/2013 at 14:20

I used to work at a gym when I was at uni, saw all the types you descibe above and more!

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
How about guys who think they are Charles Atlas by piling on huge weights and then swinging down on them like orang-utans. "Never mind if I'm training properly, look at how many kilos I can move!"

These types are the worst. Horrible form. They take over the weights section and intimidate newbies who want to try it out.

People having sex in the jacuzzi, sauna, steam rooms. If your gym has a jacuzzi then avoid it, the way the filters looked when they were changed would make you puke  Also avoid the swimming pools if the chlorine smells really strong. That means something nasty has happened in the pool and they are trying to clean it.

Customers who would always try it on with the gym staff. I don't think there was a single staff member there that hadn't been chatted up by one of the members. It was even worse for the personal trainers, especially the female ones.

04/02/2013 at 14:27
Rowing machines: People with no idea about technique, about to do themselves a lower back injury, and the staff who completely ignore whats going on in front of their eyes. "They had an induction, so thats our liability waived"
Edited: 04/02/2013 at 14:28
04/02/2013 at 14:29
People who leave various items of clothing in the sauna.
04/02/2013 at 14:32
Also-ran wrote (see)
Rowing machines: People with no idea about technique, about to do themselves a lower back injury, and the staff who completely ignore whats going on in front of their eyes. "They had an induction, so thats our liability waived"

the problem is that most of the instructors have no idea on how to use the rower either so they teach poor technique and thus it perpetuates. 

04/02/2013 at 14:35
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

- Fat people who have all the latest gear on and have their ipods on their arms and look ready for action, then they do 10 minutes walk, a 5 minute go on the cross trainer and they are done.

People observing other people in the gym long enough to know their entire work-out regime.

What's that about?!

04/02/2013 at 14:36

What about the fat sweaty greek guy with the back hair hanging out of his singlet who forgets to wipe down the equipment after he's used it?

bit of xenophobic stereotyping there eh?? 

04/02/2013 at 14:40
xine267 wrote (see)

Customers who would always try it on with the gym staff. I don't think there was a single staff member there that hadn't been chatted up by one of the members. It was even worse for the personal trainers, especially the female ones.

I would have thought that was a bonus rather than a negative.

It's really not. Having sweaty, smelly people sleazing all over you while you are trying to do your job isn't very appealling.

04/02/2013 at 14:49

People who hang on to the front of the dreadmill because the speed and/or incline are/is too high. If you have to hang on, slow down!

Singles/pairs/groups who hog machines during resting/chatting phases. If you're not lifting it, get off it!

The short Italian chap who, annoyingly, can do wide-grip pull-ups for hours.

04/02/2013 at 14:56
EKGO wrote (see)

I saw a woman in the gym on a reclined bike, she was really going at it and all the ham in her sandwich was hanging out

..was that a euphemism? lol

04/02/2013 at 15:08

The man and woman this morning I spied in the sports hall with an ipad doing a workout video.

04/02/2013 at 15:13
fat buddha wrote (see)

What about the fat sweaty greek guy with the back hair hanging out of his singlet who forgets to wipe down the equipment after he's used it?

bit of xenophobic stereotyping there eh?? 

Well the guys at the gym even call him Phil the Greek!

so they're all guilty of xenophobic stereotyping?

04/02/2013 at 15:24

How's it xenophobic?

04/02/2013 at 15:33

I've done the sideways glance at neighbour's treadmill. But only super-discreetly. 

04/02/2013 at 15:43
Ok. On one side we have the steam room. The other side the sauna. So why do people go in the sauna and chuck loads of water on the coals making it too humid to bear? You want steam then go to the steam room!
04/02/2013 at 15:43

There was one bloke (I only ever saw him once), who did some press-ups on the mat, got up, walked across the gym to the mirror, studied his face closely (maybe squeezed a spot, couldn't be sure from where I was), back to the mat, few more press-ups, back to the mirror, check his face again, and so on.

It was as though he thought no-one else was there.

The ones who make me wonder the most is the (mostly) girls who go in there, spend twenty minutes or so on the bike/crosstrainer/stairclimber but put NO effort into it at all.  

Yes, it's better than sitting on your bum, but if you've taken the time to go to the gym, why not at least raise a sweat?  Get a little out of breath?

04/02/2013 at 15:45

i was in a pure gym recently, the number of young orange skinned girls lifting essentially empty bars wearing more make up than most girls would wear to a night club and texting the whole time they are in the gym (even between reps sometimes) 

all the reasons in this thread are why i built a gym at home, 

i'll just leave this here: enjoy 

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 15:45
1 to 20 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.