Things you have seen in the gym which make you go 'Hmmmmmm' ...

201 to 220 of 229 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/02/2013 at 12:35
Mr By 'Eck wrote (see)

I'm sure a number of people will have been amused on Sunday when I was on a treadmill.  I had read somewhere that you can improve your balance by closing your eyes whilst running.  Sadly I didn't manage to keep my pace up, and nearly went flying off the back of the treadmill!!! 

a much safer option is to stand on one leg, then shut your eyes while brushing your teeth!

almost impossible at first but will massively help with balance

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
12/02/2013 at 12:39
Do they allow you to brush your teeth whilst on a treadmill
M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/02/2013 at 12:44

only if you wrap your towel around your waist first!

12/02/2013 at 12:49

I tried it once but the person next to me didnt appreciate me spitting into her cup of water.

15/02/2013 at 02:30

So many posts here despite the relevently short amount of time the thread has been up- glad to know I am in good company!

A few things I have seen:

Girl at the gym, runs with hands clamped to the front of the treadmill, it's obviously going way too fast for her, head bobbing at such an exteme that I almost  want to just stop the machine and tell her to Slow. Down! It looks so uncomfortable! She seems to clamp every muscle in her upper body and jaw which is why she looks so tense, just makes me want to vanish off to a different machine elsewhere only because she looks so tensed up it makes me feel tense!

A man I see on the treadmill who brings...(are we sitting comfortably?) his ipad, his kindle, his iphone and an MP3 player (could be a shuffle?). Yup, walks his "journey" of 30 minutes. Still, some exercise is better then nothing, right...?

The lady who is so emaciated (anorexia I presume?) that she seems to freak everyone out as they see her. I worried so much I spoke to the gym staff, they told me there was nothing they could do- recognised that she was very unwell (I have had anorexia so I am more then able to see when someone is that unwell as it sticks out like a sore thumb to me). I have watched her get progressively thinner and more obsessive- luckily, most just move when she stares. I hope she does get help but am in no doubt at this rate, she wont. She risks a heart attack easily and the gym would actually be accountable for that.

I do still find it funny though watching one person compete with another- ramping up their treadmill to the same levels as someone elses...I had someone try this on with me once, I just whammed my treadmill up as high as I could go and went hell for leather! I got a decent workout that day They walked away after I looked over and asked them (between breaths) why they weren't upping their machine anymore! (The easiest way around this all though, is to slam your hands over the machine readings, look them in the face and shout "can you PLEASE stop focusing on my machine !") They seem to forget I can see exactly what they are doing via the fairly large mirror just infront of the machine.

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 02:30
15/02/2013 at 08:57

Putting the important things first, I LOVE the Burger King fries. Much better than McDonalds.

Back on topic though, +1 for whoever said about the young men "Doing weights". I use it in the loosest possible sense, because have the time there are 4-5 of them rotating the same exercise and chatting. In the 2 years I've been going none of them have put on any significant muscle mass at all and its a purely vanity driven thing.

+1 for the vanity exercisers. One particular girl in our gym (Who was pretty fine to be fair) would do the cross trainer and the bike. Never saw her break a sweat once. Purely attending so she can tell people she goes to the gym.

One of my least favourite things about going to the gym though isn't the strangers its seeing people you actually know. When I go to the gym I want to put in my headphones and not worry how much of an idiot I look, sweating, huffing and puffing. And I REALLY don't want them talking to me! I want to work out!

15/02/2013 at 09:12

A couple of days ago I saw a girl in the gym do some 'interval' training ..... well I assume thats what it was, she got on the treadmill, set it to 10mph ....... ran like the clappers for 40 seconds ...... stopped the machine, got off, then did stretches for 5 minutes, got back on, then rinse and repeat for another 3 or 4 times.

Im not quite sure intervals means hard work for 40 seconds, followed by 5 minutes of rest.

15/02/2013 at 09:17
mattywarr wrote (see)

One of my least favourite things about going to the gym though isn't the strangers its seeing people you actually know. 

This has just bought back an awful flashback of when I was 17 years old coming out of the pool with my friend to see our A level maths teacher in the changing rooms. We very quickly turned back round and did another half an hour in the pool to make sure the experience wasn't repeated. 

I feel a bit sick thinking about it.

15/02/2013 at 17:58

The worst thing I sat was two young girls, had the full war paint on, and one had leggings that could only be described as 'tights'. Not work out, running tights, I mean, of the hosiery sort, they were so thin and transparent that her frilly knickers were on show to everyone. They went on the cross trainer, chatting away, when the other bravely removes her woolly cardy, to reveal a boob tube with a push up, bright pink bra underneath. Whilst on the cross trainer, slips down her bra straps and tucks thm into the top. 

Me and the nerdy guy on the dreadmill, just looked at each other, in horror, they were straight in front and you couldn't do anything but look at them. Luckily they didn't last long and have never been back. It was when they started chatting up nerdy guy to show them how the treadmill worked, that was really hysterical, he jumped off and pretty much sprinted out of there, never seen him run so fast before

17/02/2013 at 22:06

I was on the treadmill and a guy got on the one next to me who could conservatively be described as morbidly obese. He had a 20 minute walk at... wait for it... 2.8kph!

When he was done he left the gym. I really wondered why he has a membership when all he's doing is effectively having a slow walk which he could have done anywhere.

17/02/2013 at 22:43

@statt0 - perhaps the day you saw him was the easy day of his four-visit programme.  Going to the gym to do even that helps him to get in to the routine of going there.

He may also enjoy the compant of smug, self-righteous pricks.

17/02/2013 at 22:47
Intermanaut wrote (see)

@statt0 - perhaps the day you saw him was the easy day of his four-visit programme.  Going to the gym to do even that helps him to get in to the routine of going there.

He may also enjoy the compant of smug, self-righteous pricks.

Oh dear ........... sensitive to weight issues are we Intermanaut

Don't worry, apart from my 'No Fat Chicks' tshirt I wear to the gym, I embrace people of all sizes.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
18/02/2013 at 07:39
That's only cos you don't get to mix with real marathon runners DF3
18/02/2013 at 08:18
DF3 - as someone who's never been overweight, no, I'm not sensitive to weight issues at all. The obese guy doing his walk might be, though, and it'd people like statt0 who keep such people away from the gym.
seren nos    pirate
18/02/2013 at 09:22

for those who say people can walk anywhere why waste a treadmill...............I really can't understand where they are coming from.............

you are a fit and healthy runner,.......you can definitely run anywhere............surely the gyms are more designed for those overweight....because if they find that they are struggling that day with their exercise they can stop and rest........if they feel ill or suffer from heart problems or fall ill then there are trained people on hand to help.........

its safer for them and the treadmill is easier on the joints than concrete or tarmac......

18/02/2013 at 09:33

Seren, to some extent you have a point, but to be honest, you can always just stop if you find yourself struggling to walk or whatever. You don't really need the excuse of a treadmill. The useful thing about a treadmill when you're running is that you can see how far you've run, at what speed etc. If youre just plodding along at 2.8kph then you really don't need to 'time' anything, youre really just trying to get some basic exercise which could be done anywhere.

But if it makes you feel better, I do a 4 hour commute each day which means by the time I get to the gym at 7, the issue of all the machines being taken is not really that relevant to me.

seren nos    pirate
18/02/2013 at 09:39

David....but if you are walking you can not just stop and sit down if you have a shortness of breath....there are not that many public benches around.............and if you fell a pain you can not just stop and then drive home from wherever you are.....and  if this is the first time you have exercised in a long time then its helpful to be able to have the motivation of staff to help you.....

and not to have to put up with yobs shouting abuse and taking the piss out of you........as a runner you can always run away from them as you know they couldn't last more than a few hundred yards and then they give up.......

18/02/2013 at 09:42

The thought of my gyms' staff giving CPR is enough to throw me into cardiac arrest

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 09:43
18/02/2013 at 09:43
I once saw an old work colleague in the gym changing room. As bold as brass he strutted over to me completely starkers, shook me by the hand and ask how I was doing.
Try as I might to keep eye contact I couldn't help noticing he had completely shaven his knob hair.

It didn't make me go 'Hmmmmmm'.
18/02/2013 at 09:49

Seren - If you like we can go on a few training runs together and I can get you up to a decent pace over a mile or two to help you out. A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. You can do it!

201 to 220 of 229 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.