Things you say to yourself when running

21 to 40 of 75 messages
12/04/2012 at 12:47
I spell out words/names of places or people. If I go wrong (which happens frequently) I have to start from the very beginning
12/04/2012 at 16:58
I mentally slag off every car driver in sight.  That said, I've taken to avoiding roads altogether if I can as I am aware that my hatred of cars is starting to get a bit obsessive.
12/04/2012 at 21:20

To the next lampost

to the next sign post

to the corner

etc

I know how fit/ unfit I am by how soon / late into the run I start saying it to myself

12/04/2012 at 22:55
I could kill a crabbies right now.
12/04/2012 at 23:48
I tend to count. Or sing David Bowie songs in my head. Or if I see another runner up ahead I find myself repeating "chase the rabbit". And if I catch them, I kill and eat them.
13/04/2012 at 10:54
Started doing the 12341234 thing last night - it did help. Made me more aware of how quick my footfall was and helped when my legs started trying to tell me they were FAR too tired to do the last mile...got me round with no walking at all.
13/04/2012 at 11:22
by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see)
I spell out words/names of places or people. If I go wrong (which happens frequently) I have to start from the very beginning

I've heard that this works great! My dad used to do it for staying concentrated on the road. I'll give it a go this weekend

When i'm tired I count 1,2,3,4 in different languages to take my mind off it.

15/04/2012 at 18:14
Emmy_bug wrote (see)

When i'm tired I count 1,2,3,4 in different languages to take my mind off it.

It's funny how people differ. When I'm exhausted, the most I can manage are single word mantras: I feel like any brain activity at all is 'the straw that broke the camel's back' in terms of effort. 

Taking a few sips of water on the move, or sorting something that's falling out of my pocket leaves me breathing as hard as knocking 30 secs / mile off my pace. 

15/04/2012 at 23:18

I always do sums in my head - work out how far I will have gone if I keep up x pace for y minutes etc.  At the end I count - trees, doors, houses to keep me going. Will definitely try out 12341234 from now on though. I've read somewhere that Paula Radcliffe counts to 300 and she knows that that's a mile.

I sometimes I chant Mind over matter - as in theory my mind is bettter than my body matter.  That's not saying much though.

15/04/2012 at 23:54

I used to do the counting to 300 thing on a treadmill. Otherwise I just stared at them time. I also count through intervals otherwise I clock watch too much.

As for mental games to keep occupied, Sometimes when running in fairly quiet parks I try to memorise every person I see so that if I later find out a murder has been committed I can tell the police about everyone that was there! Bit morbid really.

16/04/2012 at 16:05

"You will survive this" - Bit dramatic but I feel like death on some runs.

"Go hard or go home" - Interval training mantra.

"Hoo Rah!" - I have watched Generation Kill too many times and have an army background(don't shout it or you look like a nutter.)

"We got it going on" by Bon Jovi because it's a jamming tune and it keeps me pumped up and happy.

16/04/2012 at 20:38

"the way to hell is straight and sure, the way to heaven is long, the way to your heart is never ending, so i just keep moving on" the chorus from an oysterband song, one that i've known since i was very little.

the lyrics remind me that even though this is tough it's good for me (and it got me through the quiet parts of brighton mara yesterday!)

16/04/2012 at 20:42
Catalin Bond wrote (see)
As for mental games to keep occupied, Sometimes when running in fairly quiet parks I try to memorise every person I see so that if I later find out a murder has been committed I can tell the police about everyone that was there! Bit morbid really.

This really did make me giggle. I might have to try that!
16/04/2012 at 22:50

' carry on running or spend the rest of the day regretting that you didn't run further'

I heard this on TV this evening and think its fab

' pain is just your body trying to punish you' - love it !

17/04/2012 at 07:21

Ok I admit it....The Rocky Theme tune ..everytime...

ADRIAN !!!!!

17/04/2012 at 09:56
Fairy - my wife goes one better than that - the lamp-posts talk to her:

"Good job!"

"Yeah!"

etc.

17/04/2012 at 10:27
"oh god, I'm not going to make it"
17/04/2012 at 11:04
i generally try to work out more complicated pace sums,

not just working out what it is based on my current time/distance, but then working out what i would have to do on the following miles in order to reach an average pace goal.
not only does this take a while and pass the time, but it helps you with maintaining a pace or increasing to get a goal.

oh, that and when i'm alone along the canal i sing
17/04/2012 at 21:11

Glad it's not just me then!

Did  the Edinburgh Rock and Roll Half last weekend. Said "come on you F***er" to myself on a few of the hills, which helped a bit. My favourite bit though, was about nine and half miles in at the end of many uphill miles, there was a left turn that revealed another, steeper, uphill and the runner next to me groaned "oh no".

In fact from that point on there seemed to be a lot of panting and groaning all around!

18/04/2012 at 08:38
Everything I say to myself is in my head, don't like to disrupt my breathing

I remind myself 'Form' when the head dips and the stride goes a bit loose

Mentally try and work out splits and pacing for the remainder of the time

I will give out the odd aggressive grunt-esque noise on a hard hill near the end

If I'm on the edge, I'll work out the pace needed for a PB, work out how long is left, and try and hit it hard.
21 to 40 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.