Things you say to yourself when running

1 to 20 of 75 messages
11/04/2012 at 09:44

Now, if this is just me I'm going to look silly but...

I almost always  run alone and, if I have enough breath, like to say* things to myself to pass the time. My top three are:

1. "Contact!" - when another runner is spotted. Stole it from a friend who likes war films. Don't bother saying with cyclists/walkers (i,e, civilians).
  2. "I need an exit" - When running along tow paths etc looking for the way back onto the road. Stolen from the Matrix
  3. "I don't eat invertebrates for fun"  - When running up big hills/in torrential rain/very early in the morning. Bit of a stretch this, but originally came from Blackadder. Usually panted out breathlessley, syllable by syllable Helps with bloody mindednes.

Anyone else do this? Even if you don't, any suggestions for  random things to say whilst running?

* breath permitting

11/04/2012 at 10:23

if I'm trying really hard I sometimes repeat, in time with my footsteps, the line "you can go hard, or you can go home"...... 

11/04/2012 at 10:29
Foose the legs is what I generally say.
Edited: 11/04/2012 at 10:29
11/04/2012 at 10:36

- This to shall pass (repeat as necessary)
- COME ON! (before a big sprint/increase in pace)
- One step, two step, three step, floor (based on the tequila drinking song)

11/04/2012 at 12:02
Another one with "This too shall pass" - in fact for Christmas my husband got me a necklace with this on that I always wear when running and it 'jingles' occasionally which is a good reminder when the running gets tough
Also I sing "turning Japanese" to myself as the rhythm is perfect for a good cadence for me.
11/04/2012 at 12:47
I generally say NOoooooooooooooooooooooooo  not here before  jumping over the sea wall onto the beach - and then running along with a little bag to find a bin - trying to put on an expression that says bl**dy dogs.
11/04/2012 at 14:46

Generally say its not too late turn back no one will tell but then turns into ive got to bloody get home now ive come this far away oh shit.

Or another one for the Come On run you fucker

11/04/2012 at 15:09

"come on"

"dig in"

"this is easy"

"no way back"

"smash through"

"yesterday you said tomorrow"

11/04/2012 at 15:10
"come on you fat get"
11/04/2012 at 15:50
"Just keep run-ning, just keep run-ning, just keep run-ning, running, running" (like Dory's just keep swimming song in Finding Nemo) - I've had it going round my head for up to an hour, which sounds annoying but strangely helps...
11/04/2012 at 17:53
I just say 1212...  to keep cadence at 190 steps per minute.
11/04/2012 at 18:10
When I'm finding it hard to keep going, I count with each step: 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4. I think I read it in in an article about either the Tour de France or triathlons, and it was for the horrible hill climb bike sections. When you think there's no way you can keep going and you'll never get to the top, even if you can't get all the way, you can surely manage four more steps. And when you've done four, you can do another four etc etc. When I first read it, I was sceptical, but wowee does it work for me!
11/04/2012 at 18:51
"No hill lasts forever"
11/04/2012 at 20:07
"This will soon be over"

"Think how nice that beer will taste"

"I think I want to be fat instead"
11/04/2012 at 20:34
Pick your feet up you fat bastard........and RUN!
11/04/2012 at 20:37
Frodo, me too! The other one is, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Oh, and if I've been overdoing it, come on lumpy.
11/04/2012 at 20:40
"wonder what bonkers posts will be on the forum once I've finished......."
11/04/2012 at 21:01
"Run fat boy run"
12/04/2012 at 08:22

Stop being a pussy and climb up that fucking hill, usually works for me....

12/04/2012 at 12:33

There's a few here that I use too - "go hard or go home" has been a recent one.

When I was coming back from injury I would get paranoid I could feel twinges in my healed foot. I used to stop and check with a 'poke test' but then later I would say 'it's all in your head...it's all in your head" to force myself to carry on running (i'd had the all clear from the dr, by that point that it was all in my head). Must have worked because I haven't had to say that one for a long time.

If I am doing intervals I say 'just one more' and if I start out too fast I have to say 'come on rein it in'. Which seems to make me slow down more than just thinking it (and confused people racing next to me).

1 to 20 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.