Things you should have known at that start

The things that would have helped you when you started running

1 to 20 of 43 messages
03/01/2014 at 19:27

When you started running what advice would have helped you in the early stages of your running

03/01/2014 at 20:07
To go get a gait analysis!
03/01/2014 at 20:10

I was advised to start out more slowly than I would have believed possible, to go until I needed a break, walk till I got my breath back, and then run (slowly) again. I still think that was pretty helpful.

03/01/2014 at 20:45

I wish I had known sooner that running everything at race pace was not the best way to train!

03/01/2014 at 20:51

I wish I knew about it earlier in life. Who knows where I would be now 

03/01/2014 at 20:58
DT19 wrote (see)

I wish I had known sooner that running everything at race pace was not the best way to train!

I agree... i trained for London at race pace, and wondered why my smaller runs never got any quicker

03/01/2014 at 21:17

literatin wrote (see)

I was advised to start out more slowly than I would have believed possible, to go until I needed a break, walk till I got my breath back, and then run (slowly) again. I still think that was pretty helpful.

I wish I'd known that. As a consequence of not knowing, having been a sprinter at school, it was about 12 years between my first run and my second one  

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 21:17
03/01/2014 at 22:43

Mrs Noel. When you say gait analysis, do you mean a proper gait analysis or the marketing thing they do in a treadmill at some running shops? 

My advice would to read the Runners Handbook and don't listen to idiotic advice from people

03/01/2014 at 23:03

I know a good thread about gait analysis 

04/01/2014 at 07:57

Buy a Garmin, wear a heart rate monitor, and log your stuff on www.fetcheveryone.com

...and slow down.

04/01/2014 at 08:27

Me too Jason but from now on it's not enough to say just gait analysis. Does she mean a day at Loughborough or 10 minutes in Sweatshop

04/01/2014 at 08:51

agree with not going out at race pace, and like wise not running as far as you can every time, 

made a huge difference to my running once i slowed down and did smaller faster runs combined with longer slow ones

04/01/2014 at 09:09

My advice would be 'listen to your body' when I first started training I kept to my program and kept ending up injured.....

know I use it as a guide....... Some times I run more, slower, less or faster. once the 1st mile is done its easy to see how well rested your body is and if you need to alter your session.

04/01/2014 at 12:19
Do I think a full gait analysis would have been a need to know at the very start, as the OP asked? Undoubtedly worthwhile but surely not at the very start. In the same way as I'd not recommend a new triathlete buying a ??5k TT or tri bike, OW and pool goggles and a full set of swimming aids, I'd say stick simple to start. When I started running, it was because I needed to pass fitness tests and survive Coy PT. I bought trainers based on colour and price...I experienced knee, ankle and lower back/hip problems for my trouble.

My first analysis lasted over an hour (you've been short changed at Sweat Shop Grinch ), started me off thinking about form and made me want to know more about running. It contributed towards me being the runner and triathlete I am today. So I stand by my answer! Saying that, Grinch, if you're offering to fork out - I'll meet you at Loughborough any time that suits.
04/01/2014 at 13:33

Dont get him started.......Ben will be here any minute 

04/01/2014 at 17:26

Things I didn't know about at the start:

• parkrun
  • running clubs usually have members with a wide range of abilities
  • shorter events can be more enjoyable than long events
  • Bodyglide

04/01/2014 at 17:44

That running in bad weather is more fun than it looks! A bit of rain is no reason to give up.

04/01/2014 at 17:49

Run your hard days hard and easy days easy

05/01/2014 at 07:10

Running is, in essence, a very simple thing. I wish I'd kept sight of that years ago!!!

Sometimes it does your soul good to just leave the technology behind and head for the hills.

05/01/2014 at 08:45

If you are running on an 'out and back course'. Run into the wind initially then have it at your back after halfway.

1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.