Time to run?

9 messages
22/06/2006 at 08:14
Hi!. I'm a recreational runner and at the moment I run about 5k three times a week - usually first thing in the morning before breakfast. I find that the later in the day it gets, the harder it is to run - and if I leave it until the evening its really difficult! I just wondered why this is, as I know some people who find evening running easier than morning running?! Does anybody know the answer please?!
22/06/2006 at 08:36
I suspect it's a cross between metabolism and stress. I started always running in the morning, and still do most of my running while everyone else is still tucked up.

When I joined a running club, I found it quite difficult to adapt to one run a week being in the evening. On that day now, I have a big lunch and a snack in the afternoon. I also try and have a bit of a kip on the train back from work, then straight to the club when I get home. That way I figure it's a bit closer to 'normal', where I have a big dinner and a night's sleep before running. I have a bowl of cereal after the run, then shower & bed.
22/06/2006 at 17:27
I'm an evening runner but that's basically down to convenience. I have a two year old & a 17 year old, hubby is often away and i wouldn't trust the 17 year old to wake up & look after the little one while i'm out so running has to wait until the little one is tucked up in bed at about 8:30pm.

I find that i can't run after i've eaten a big meal even if i've eaten a couple of hours before therefore tea-time usually becomes my supper at about 10:30 :(, then shower & bed. I know this can't be healthy but i'm a new runner (couple of months) and think that the routine will settle down in time.

Given that i run better on an empty stomach i think i would be better in the morning. i've read that a number of people struggle to run on an empty stomach.
22/06/2006 at 20:12
I used to enjoy running more in the morning than the evening because it is quieter and it sets me up well for the rest of the day. However when I run without eating for a while I get migranes so the morning routine has now stopped.
Ally Bally Bee    pirate
23/06/2006 at 09:45
I love morning running but my job only allows for weekend runs (start work at 4.30am and there's no way I'm sacrificing any more sleep for a run!).

So now I run after work, in the hottest part of the day (though not been having too much trouble lately!). I don't eat lunch at work but I usually have a yoghurt and fruit around 9am and then some soup an hour later to prepare for my run. That way I'm not running on an empty stomach but neither is it uncomfortable.

I think a lot of it is in the mind (for me anyway) and possibly the kind of work you do. I used to go for long runs after a day on my feet and they were fine, but shorter runs were harder.
23/06/2006 at 10:47
I'm the opposite. I find it much harder to get going first thing in the morning (low blood sugar, I suppose), so my runs are usually early evening, or late morning at the weekends.
24/06/2006 at 00:45
i work shifts so my runs can be morning, afternoon or evening, i prefer mornings and afternoons. evening runs are hard work for me, i just want to curl up with a good book and a glass of wine at that time, but needs must sometimes and i have to do it. dont like running when its too hot and i hate running in the rain, those days i do just stay in and close the curtains.
26/06/2006 at 13:47
Thanks everyone for your replies. It was interesting to hear how different everybody is from each other, in terms of whether they are a 'morning' person or a 'night time' person!
I've always been a 'morning' person, and even before I started running I always liked to be up and doing stuff early in the day, so maybe thats just why I find it easier to run at that time, and also I feel lighter because i haven't eaten fo 8 hours!
Any more replies would be most welcome!
Thanhks!
26/06/2006 at 14:11
Hi Em,

Energy levels do tend to vary across the day anyway - the typical pattern is a mid-morning peak and a mid-afternoon dip, with a sub-peak early evening, although some people are naturally more 'morning' types and some are more 'evening' types. It's related to all sorts of things, including blood sugar, although you may feel lethargic too soon after eating because your body concentrates its energy on digestion.

I used to never want to run in the evening because I was used to the morning, but when I joined a running club I had no choice!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.