Too fit for fertility?

Could your running programme be reducing your chances of pregnancy?

21 to 29 of 29 messages
13/07/2012 at 20:45
sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

I'm small and compact (a 5ft munchkin), but would be utterly useless at gymnastics as I have no coordination whatsoever

LOL stbw...was it you on the pics with Chili at outlaw?

13/07/2012 at 21:29

I was at the Outlaw and did meet the lovely Chili, so maybe! I've not seen any pics though

13/07/2012 at 23:11
I've always been fairly slim (5 ft 4 and 7 stone) and conceived 3 kids very easily (a bit too easily, 2 of the 3 were unplanned!)
14/07/2012 at 07:14

Wow that makes me a ten ton tessie. I'm 5'3 3/4" and weigh about 116lbs.

It's about the heaviest 'healthy' weight I've ever been (fibroids aside, I don't know how much weight they add - I've been told they are 'large' that was 6 yrs ago.) I've weighed more but that wasn't due to fat - due to a malfunctioning body.

I weighed around 105lbs for a couple of years but I looked like a famine victim - not at all healthy. I put on the weight once I started running / swimming / cycling again and not just burning calories at the gym.

Like KK I'm big boned - I did one of those density tests that came out as medium build.

Not that any of this answers the OP's question. I've never had children but I've always had periods even when my weight was under 98lbs

I think Victoria Beckham is the person to ask. There were rumours that she had to gain weight in order to conceive.

14/07/2012 at 07:22

i think too Cam mouse that to sustain a pregnancy again i would have to gain some weight..im not rake like but there is very little fat, id describe my physique as quite 'hard' ..not a feminine soft curved body. my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, but i concieved very quickly and was pregnant within 8 weeks of losing the other. ths went fine but i was monitered for slow weight gain. in actual fact the baby was fine it was just me who didnt get much bigger lol.

14/07/2012 at 17:07
Tenjiso wrote (see)
louise atkinson 4 wrote (see)

I've been told that a fat percentage of 22% is the minimum for conception.... 

That sounds like something a guy would say when he's forgotten his contraceptives.

I regularly see women with a BMI of less than 20 that are pregnant. So don't believe him when he tells you that

Edited: 14/07/2012 at 17:08
14/07/2012 at 18:48

So is there a % fat/BMI whatever that also works at the other end? can you be too fat to get pregnant? 

(wonders where that might be & how many pies I'd need to eat to get there...)

14/07/2012 at 22:12

I knew a woman who wasn't just obese she was round. She got pregnant.

I think you'd need to eat an awful lot of pies HL.

16/07/2012 at 13:45

Is there anyone out there who did cut back on their running programme (and consciously eat a few more pies) in order to boost their chances of getting pregnant?

I'd love to find out if it worked!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.