Too soon to do a long run?

Question

8 messages
24/02/2012 at 17:40
Hi all,

I've been running for sometime now, but haven't run anything beyond 13 miles for over a year - despite running fairly regular 4.5 or 6.2 mile courses (the latter I did a week ago).

I have the opportunity to do a slow 11 mile run on Sunday - but would like to take advice before committing. I currently do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 3/4 times a week, 2 personal training sessions (mostly weights or weight bearing) and then 1-2 runs a week.

As I haven't built up distance, is it unwise for me to jump into this - or will I be OK?

Kind regards,

John
24/02/2012 at 17:49
BJ you appear to be very fit, and as you regularly run 4.5 or 6.2 miles, I don't think you will have any problems running 11 miles at a slow pace.
24/02/2012 at 19:58
No probs, enjoy it.
24/02/2012 at 20:09
I did Brighton half last weekend, and in a good time, last time i went beyond even ten miles was May last year, so nothing is impossible. If your running regular, you might surprise yourself.
24/02/2012 at 20:42
Thanks everyone. You've definitely swayed me - I'll let you know how I get on.
25/02/2012 at 19:34
Just make sure to go slow and you should be perfectly okay.
26/02/2012 at 21:47
Hi all,

Well I went out this morning and did 11.4 miles in 1 hour 50 mins. I'm relatively happy with that considering my race pace isn't much faster. I feel it a bit on my knees and I'm sure they will ache in the morning, but I feel better for having done it. And, I have to say, it was the perfect running day for me - bright, sunny and a little chilly which kept me nice and cool.

Thanks for all of your support.

Best wishes,

John
27/02/2012 at 10:39
Great!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.