traffic lights

do you jog on the spot?

1 to 20 of 48 messages
29/08/2009 at 17:36
just wondering w hat people do when out running and have to stop at pedestrian crossings. I live in Brighton and can't go far in any direction without having to stop to cross roads. I've nad a couple of passers by who have made comments like "don't stop" or "keep moving", and maybe ~i should be, though it can be nice to have a traffic light breather! was just wondering what other people do.
29/08/2009 at 17:44

I know the feeling Crazydiamond. I'm also from Brighton and there are just so many trafic lights.  

I tend to do a side step and back again in time to the music I'm listening to. Bet it looks strange to the others at the crossing!

29/08/2009 at 18:23
You could use the few seconds to stretch your legs a bit?
29/08/2009 at 19:22

I just stop and wait for the light, I used to be all precious about it and  jog on the spot, but stopping for a minute or two will make no difference at all to the enjoyment of your run. 

Doesn't make you a walker or anything either.  

29/08/2009 at 19:48

The odd occasion I have had to stop at a junction I just stop and take a breather for a couple of seconds before I'm on my way again.

kittenkat    pirate
29/08/2009 at 19:50
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

I just stop and wait for the light, I used to be all precious about it and  jog on the spot, but stopping for a minute or two will make no difference at all to the enjoyment of your run. 

Doesn't make you a walker or anything either.  

Lol, love your avatar!
29/08/2009 at 20:33

Me and my OH went to Brighton a few weeks ago and I came across a lot of traffic lights when I was running too!

It annoyed me in the end so I just stuck to the sea front and the treadmill in the hotel

Don't generally come across many where I'm from, but I don't think I'd jog on the spot. I'd just stand there and look like I'm checking my pulse or something else that might look mildly related to running haha.

29/08/2009 at 20:34

'Don't generally come across many where I'm from'

I just read this and realise it now sounds like I'm from a trailer park. 'We never seen no traffic lights round these parts'

29/08/2009 at 20:51

I sometimes turn along the side road, and cross there if possible, and if not I return and use the crossing when the lights change.

And sometimes I stand and wait.

29/08/2009 at 20:56
I stand and wait, it always makes me feel like i'm re-charging my batteries. 
29/08/2009 at 21:20

we used to live 80 miles from the nearest trafic light or roundabout.................................. not anymore though.

I stand around and wait

29/08/2009 at 21:27

Like the OP, there are millions of traffic lights etc in Sheffield.

I usually stop and wait and plan my routes to avoid those that I know make me stop a long time.

29/08/2009 at 21:29

i did read somewhere that jogging on the spot is a bad idea, and that stretches are a better idea

i did also read that elvis is alive and well on mars, so read into that what you will

29/08/2009 at 21:30
When I was living in Central London (in sight of Kings Cross station pretty much!) whenever I saw a light changing I just sprinted like crazy for it. If I had no other option would just jog on the spot.
29/08/2009 at 21:36
I just take a breather, maybe stretch out my tired legs and hope that the light changes quickly. Starting and stopping really disrupts my rhythm!
29/08/2009 at 21:51
Stop my stopwatch!
29/08/2009 at 22:04
You are a runner if you run on the spot and a jogger if you stop.

bugger,sorry.wrong thread.
29/08/2009 at 22:14

No traffic lights on my routes, but one main road and a level crossing.

I always hope for a long line of traffic on the mian road so I can have a rest, but usually it's clear when i'm really knackered, so I end up carrying on running. The level crossing has caught me once and very relieved at the time I was too. It was blisteringly hot and i was feeling like death. A nice ten min break beneath a shady tree was most welcome at the time.

29/08/2009 at 22:28

a jogger bobs up and down whilst a runner takes a well earned break.

29/08/2009 at 22:34
Flashing green man - sprint like hell
1 to 20 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.